How to lock the gas cap?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
In another related item, not sure putting the mustang logo on the key fob was all that smart, I go to the beach a lot and leave the key in my bag will I am riding the waves, someway can go through my bag find the mustang key fob, go up to the street and probably in a few minutes find my mustang.

Terry
How dare Ford make you have to worry about break-ins while you're getting pitted, bra!
Sponsored

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I have yet to read anything on this thread done to a person's car that wouldn't be covered by comprehensive car insurance which we all probably have. That's something more effective than a locking gas cap. Any type of vandalism will be covered from destroying an engine with something in the fuel to slashing a tire.

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
Try dumping some gas down the tank without the extra funnel in your trunk. You will see what happens if someone tries to dump something in your tank. The cap less system will drain it, it won't go into the tank unless you have the funnel or an actual gas pump to open the inner door of the fill pipe.
I put torco in my tank using a screw driver. It's pretty easy actually till I found out I had a funnel in the car lol

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
In another related item, not sure putting the mustang logo on the key fob was all that smart, I go to the beach a lot and leave the key in my bag will I am riding the waves, someway can go through my bag find the mustang key fob, go up to the street and probably in a few minutes find my mustang.

Terry
I like the Mustang emblem on the FOB. It's a source of pride for me.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
agreed that there are petty assholes everywhere now, i think the f&R dashcams are the way to go, you can get them for less that 300 nowadays

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Hasp and padlock.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have yet to read anything on this thread done to a person's car that wouldn't be covered by comprehensive car insurance which we all probably have. That's something more effective than a locking gas cap. Any type of vandalism will be covered from destroying an engine with something in the fuel to slashing a tire.
Sure, but that locking gas cap would be a lot cheaper than my excess (I choose to raise my excess to lower my premium). I've never owned a car without a locking gas cap, just seems an odd safety feature to leave off. Besides, prevention is far more convenient than lodging an insurance claim

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
after all the replies in this thread.... people are worried about stuff being put in their tank...... What about the assholes that like to steal the gas out of the car. These cars do stand out as ones that run soley on premo gas.... Can't say I have had a issue myself (knock on wood) but i know especially when gas prices were through the roof people were having issues like these.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I don't know, seems to me petty vandalism and screwing with someone's gas tank are two completely different animals. It takes time and a little knowhow to get something in the tank like that. In all my years I've never had a locking gas cap and never thought twice bout it. Seems like that would be a pretty rare thing to worry about.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Key Fob cover...

I bought a couple of the vinyl fob covers mentioned in a 2015 thread, mainly to help protect from accidentally hitting the buttons. The covers are a single bright color with no logo. So no sitting on a button and no one knows what car the fob is for...But I guess you could walk along the parking lot pushing buttons until my vert signals where it is.

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
As others have said there are bigger things to worry about. If they want to get in they will.

Actually that's the hard way to open them. Here at the dealership, when people loose the key, we just grab the twist section with pliers and pull, rotating top pops right off and then you can unscrew it like any other cap.

On a side note, I would never have a locking cap on my car. Let them have the gas or try to do something. We've had siphon issues out on the lot (back when gas was high) and the newer pickups with the capless stops them from getting in, so they just go below and cut the filler neck which costs much more than the gas they stole. We even had one they drilled a hole in the tank to get the gas.

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Sure, but that locking gas cap would be a lot cheaper than my excess (I choose to raise my excess to lower my premium). I've never owned a car without a locking gas cap, just seems an odd safety feature to leave off. Besides, prevention is far more convenient than lodging an insurance claim
When people want to do something they will find a way to do it and a lot of times in trying to do a specific thing that you try to prevent will just make them do even more damage trying to accomplish their goal. If someone hates you enough or is jealous enough to try and put something in your gas and can't, chances are they're just going to turn to something else like breaking windows, keying the car, slashing tires, etc.

How many times have people tried parking far away from other cars on a lot only to come out and find someone parked right next to them. I know I can't stand when I see people park in the middle of 4 spots so they can't have anyone park near them. While I would never do something someone else might because they look like a tool.

Bottom line is that its not worth worrying about this stuff or else you would never even drive or enjoy the car for what it is.

This is why we have car insurance. I have a higher deductible too but that's because I know I can cover anything below the deductible out of pocket. The amount of money I've saved during ownership on my policy is more than what it would cost for me to pay my deductible for something I wouldn't want to cover out of pocket.

I don't understand the rationale of people who have insanely low deductibles and pay a lot more money than they have to every year. Realistically, people should be setting their deductible to as high of a level as they can reasonably afford to pay out of pocket. The average person is only involved in 3-4 car accidents in their entire lifetime so that's a lot of money you could be saving between claims.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
[ame]
Sponsored