Sponsored

How to know when your friction plates need replacement on your automatic Transmission?

Taboo 32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT California Special
I have a 2017 Mustang GT and I can’t help but feel that the friction plates in my automatic transmission may need changing. I don’t see much slipping in the RPMs but it feels as if I’m losing a little power in the transmission. I primarily paddle shift and every so often I smell a little clutch burn. I have only 43000 miles on the odometer. My question is has anybody experienced friction point failure and what were the signs.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

It would be difficult to smell clutch material burning since they are swimming in transmission fluid. If you're smelling anything, it's scorched fluid smell coming out the case vent. Slipping to that degree typically causes overheated fluid, which may boil out the vent and the gauges should give you a trans temperature warning. This is what happened to my uncle's Expedition on the interstate. But if you have slipping that's burning fluid, you should have some slipping behavior as well. It could just be one that gear up that's affected, so use the paddles to test them all.

The first thing you should do is check the fluid level and condition.. As I'm sure you're aware, it should be bright red and not burnt smelling. If something in the transmission is getting the fluid hot enough to burn, it will be dark on the stick, and smelly.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Don’t forget that brake pads can smell like burned clutch.

OP
OP

Taboo 32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT California Special
Thanks guys,

CB Dallas… I’ll check the fluids.
Mike… it could be the brakes

once again guys
Thanks

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Are there any other characteristics it's exhibiting? Low fluid can affect it but usually these transmissions suffer from rough/janky shifting with less than desirable tuning often being a factor.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have a 2017 Mustang GT and I can’t help but feel that the friction plates in my automatic transmission may need changing. I don’t see much slipping in the RPMs but it feels as if I’m losing a little power in the transmission. I primarily paddle shift and every so often I smell a little clutch burn. I have only 43000 miles on the odometer. My question is has anybody experienced friction point failure and what were the signs.
Thanks in advance
Seeing you have a 2017, you may still be under the 5yr/60k Powertrain Warranty. So you could make a Service visit and let them diagnose any slippage concerns you have about the trans…. If there is a problem, better to catch it now before the Powertrain warranty has expired.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have a 17 and it slippes into second. Looks like a circle on a shifting log.

I am saving my pennies for a rebuild.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The above flush does not work on the 6R80 or the A10 due to the internal thermostat.

It only opens at 200 degrees.

Any other trans you also need to change the filter

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
What does 200 F represent? Daily drive? So it by passes the cooler until 200F?
Mine only hits 200 on a track, normal driving never gets above 170. Yes by-passes cooler till temp hits 200

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Flush the trans now at a quick lube and make sure the level is correct. The fluid should be bright red in the flush lines before they finish. May take 60+ quarts to flush and will cost a few hundred.

A friend had BMW SMG shifting poorly. Drove like crap for long time. She was told by Indy shop needed $12 K trans. By chance, after she ordered and new $75 K BMW, the lube shop checked the level, topped it off and it worked perfectly.

As a Pennzoil uni trained person all I can say is if running the car hard, or stop and go hot weather, use synthetic ATF and flush every 10,000 miles, or 2,000 miles if tracking it, and use the biggest ATF cooler you can find.

High paddle shifter use is definitely an extreme environment seems to accelerate trans issues for whatever reasons.

It only takes a single over heat / high heat event to damage the additive package driving PH levels to the stratosphere marking the beginning of the end of the trans.

At least Synthetic gives you some cushion but if flushing regularly, not tracking it, not using paddle all the time regular premium brand ATF is fine, especially with a big cooler.
60 quarts lol

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
If shifts aren’t crisp in sport mode with paddle shifters, then likely they are on way out.

When it gets really bad, the clutches will begin flaking off material and take out valve body solenoids.

just my experience withmy supercharged car.
Sponsored