Sponsored

How to: Install of ZL1 GT500 side skirt extensions with rock guards and HP wheel lip moldings

OP
OP
ChemEng44

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
Hell of a thread, though I have one question that I didn't see in this thread or others (sorry!)

These are installed without drilling any new holes, right? I will not drill any holes, but will use tons of sticky-tape!
correct, no additional holes to drill. The screws into the bottom of the side skirts are very small. When I originally put everything together I wasn’t sure if I would need to drill the hole for the lower part of the wheel well extension but after 8 track days and 3300 street miles nothing has budged so no additional holes 🍻
Sponsored

cjatrains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Many Thanks to ChemEng44 for posting this with all the excellent photos, details and instructions. I am well into the mock up stage of this mod on my new Mach 1. I was fortunate enough to locate an original set of 2020 Shelby GT500 side skirts from an owner near where I live. So I installed those, in December. After emailing back and forth with ZL1 Addons, about rock guards that would be compatible with the Mach 1 with actual OEM Shelby GT500 Side Skirts, I decided to purchase some 0.060" ABS plastic stock and fabricate my own rock guards.

Got the car up on the QuickJacks today, and found some thin black styrene sheets (24" wide stock), to use for making a template before I start final cutting the ABS material. Anyway, stopped to take photos. I have learned that the camera exposes and highlights issues that I don't always catch with the naked eye.

My main goal for this afternoon was to ensure that a total length of 24 inches would work as the stock I purchased is 24 x 24. So for tonight I am pretty satisfied so far. My wheel well lips were delivered a week ago after asking the dealer in NH to ship them to me for over a month. Anyway, I am glad I have them here, uninstalled, so I can do the whole project without removing any of the adhesive. More to come...

DSC01124.JPG

DSC01125.JPG

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01127.JPG

OP
OP
ChemEng44

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Many Thanks to ChemEng44 for posting this with all the excellent photos, details and instructions. I am well into the mock up stage of this mod on my new Mach 1. I was fortunate enough to locate an original set of 2020 Shelby GT500 side skirts from an owner near where I live. So I installed those, in December. After emailing back and forth with ZL1 Addons, about rock guards that would be compatible with the Mach 1 with actual OEM Shelby GT500 Side Skirts, I decided to purchase some 0.060" ABS plastic stock and fabricate my own rock guards.

Got the car up on the QuickJacks today, and found some thin black styrene sheets (24" wide stock), to use for making a template before I start final cutting the ABS material. Anyway, stopped to take photos. I have learned that the camera exposes and highlights issues that I don't always catch with the naked eye.

My main goal for this afternoon was to ensure that a total length of 24 inches would work as the stock I purchased is 24 x 24. So for tonight I am pretty satisfied so far. My wheel well lips were delivered a week ago after asking the dealer in NH to ship them to me for over a month. Anyway, I am glad I have them here, uninstalled, so I can do the whole project without removing any of the adhesive. More to come...

DSC01124.JPG

DSC01125.JPG

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01127.JPG
Looks great, can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
@ChemEng44 is there a way to do this with the wheels on or the must come off? I can get them off, but torqueing to the correct lb/ft when putting back is a concern since I dont have a wrench. Wondering

EDIT looks like cjatrains did with wheels on?

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
@ChemEng44 is there a way to do this with the wheels on or the must come off? I can get them off, but torqueing to the correct lb/ft when putting back is a concern since I dont have a wrench. Wondering

I did mine with the wheels on.

Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Thanks Anthony, how difficult was it? Would you have taken them off if you had to do it again?
Mike,
It wasn't bad, having the wheel off would be easier to clean the wheel well.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mike,
It wasn't bad, having the wheel off would be easier to clean the wheel well.
Awesome! Thank You. I can always start the process with the wheel on and if it gets too difficult, pull it

cjatrains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
It's my intention to take the wheel off for final fitting and mounting. As said above, easier to clean out wheel well plus I want to use my "expanding" pipe tool to ensure I get it seated on the double sided tape at the top of the arch where there are no fastening holes. It makes a great 2nd set of hands.... I am sure it can probably be done ok with the wheel on, but I definitely think it's going to be easier for final assembly and achieving a perfect fit, with the wheel off.

OP
OP
ChemEng44

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)

Can definitely be done in the air wheels on, it would just take longer IMO.

Sponsored

cjatrains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Made some progress today, yes I know, moving at a snail's pace, but a lot of measuring is involved fabricating the rock guards from plain stock and getting all the mounting holes located.... While the photos don't look all that much different than yesterday, this is now the 1/16" ABS stock, not the 1/32" styrene mock up parts.

Anyway, Driver's side is complete minus enlarging the pilot holes I drilled to locate the factory receiving holes in the lower fender well liner. Fortunately, pilot holes aligned nearly perfect. Also managed to get the very top of the rock guard to reach the factory fastener up at about the 1 to 2 o'clock position, so that was a bonus having the anchor got through both parts. Making the mirror image side should take much less time, using the driver's side as the pattern.

DSC01128.JPG

DSC01129.JPG

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
this seems overly complicated for what it is.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
this seems overly complicated for what it is.
Youre probably right, but for someone like me with minimal tools and maybe less desire to do this, I need to make sure I get it right. the more minutiae the better