Sponsored

How to find winter tire size?

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Sorry for making all these threads.......not really much of a car guy at all.

So as you guys know, I take delievery of my 2019 Ford ecoboost in 5-6 days.

The first thing I plan to do, as you guys have suggested is to put on new winter tires.

But how do I know what to shop for? Width/aspect ratio/diameter?

My VIN Code is 1FA6P8TH2K5102739

thanks so much guys

Pictures (if that helps)

20201203_005355.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-213034_autoTRADER.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-212838_autoTRADER.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
The size will be on the tires. As for brand I love my continental extreme contacts
Not the tire for winter use lol. I love Blizzaks but recommend going to a dedicated wheel/tire combo, pick your poison at tirerack.com

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Twister Orange
According to your pic, your car has 20'' wheels. Do you plan to put winter tires on that rims or buy whole set of rims & tires for winter? If you plan to buy whole set, I would go 1 size down. It's cheaper and do better at snow.

ps: you mention your car is ecoboost. How comes in second pic it has gt badge in the back :)

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Sorry for making all these threads.......not really much of a car guy at all.

So as you guys know, I take delievery of my 2019 Ford ecoboost in 5-6 days.

The first thing I plan to do, as you guys have suggested is to put on new winter tires.

But how do I know what to shop for? Width/aspect ratio/diameter?

My VIN Code is 1FA6P8TH2K5102739

thanks so much guys

Pictures (if that helps)
Easiest thing to do is use one of the OEM sizes. Since your car is going to have 265/35R20 tires, I would go for 255/40R19 (esier to find tires) or 265/40R19 winters (assume you want separate set of wheels - will be cheaper to get 19" ones) which have roughly same diameter so speedo won't be off to much.
Or you can go down to 18" wheels for even cheaper tires - whole bunch of sizes there, not as low profile though as your OEM ones.

Sponsored

dominic msu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Magnetic Grey 6SP 401A PP1 MagneRide Active Exhaust
I bought same size rims in a different style to mix up the look of the car. I would recommend looking at stock wheel/tire size that might open up the winter tires available to you, assuming you have 20” rims and don’t need that size to clear your brakes.

Edit: the guy above me said it better

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Most 18" wheels will clear EB brakes. All Ford's OEM 18" wheels used on Mustangs certainly will unless it's a HPP one (not sure what front brakes are on it).

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most 18" wheels will clear EB brakes. All Ford's OEM 18" wheels used on Mustangs certainly will unless it's a HPP one (not sure what front brakes are on it).
It has 4 piston caliper & disc size of base GT. So 18” fits without problem

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
According to your pic, your car has 20'' wheels. Do you plan to put winter tires on that rims or buy whole set of rims & tires for winter? If you plan to buy whole set, I would go 1 size down. It's cheaper and do better at snow.

ps: you mention your car is ecoboost. How comes in second pic it has gt badge in the back :)
Oh no.....why did this ldiot have to spec it with 20" Rims.

Lower acceleration speed, much more expensive tires, worse fuel economy......

How much is it for a set of decent 19 inch rims?

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Because the 20 year old kid who owned it before me wanted to "impress" his friends and probably thought it would get him laid

First thing i am removing when I get it

Sponsored

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much is it for a set of decent 19 inch rims?
depends on the width and the brand. You can check them out at tire rack or discount tire. Once you get your car, find out what your tire size and go to https://tiresize.com/calculator/ They calculate your wheel diameter and give you option to downsize your rim but still maintain diameter. I plan to get a set of winter wheels too. But I will go for 18''. Since it's for winter, I won't care about the look. I will go cheap on rims and get decent winter tires :)

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Actually, for snow tires, you want to go narrow, especially in a place such as Canada, where you actually get snow and ice in decent amounts.

On my GT, I got four 19x9 Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels and a set of 245/45R-19 Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 tires (I have the PP1 setup, so I needed 19" to clear the brakes). If it were my daily driver, I likely would have gone with a set of Michelin XIce true winter tires. I prefer Blizzak WS winter tires, but they aren't available in the size I use.

For your car, I'd look at something like a Blizzak WS-90 in 235/50R-18, which should match the cars speedometer fairly well. I'd stay with a square setup (all 4 tires the same width). It's late in the season to be shopping for winter wheels, so the low cost options may be pretty thin. Figure the CAD equivalent of $1800 USD all-in from a Canadian source which is what someone in the US could get it for from TireRack.com. Not sure if TireRack ships to Canada or what the additional costs / taxes would be for that.
Sponsored

Last edited: