Sponsored

How to clean my convertible top?

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
This is what I used every six months. (Protectant) - the cleaner I use when there's noticable soiling, otherwise, a light rinse of the hose.
20200805_153032.jpg
I also use basically this same regimen. When washing, I use my silicone squeegee to remove the water from my top after hosing it down, and it removes almost everything. The protectant keeps things up on the fabric's surface where they are easy to get off. However, I haven't had to deal with tree sap.
Sponsored

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Just a follow up on my experiance with the Chemical Guy's convertible top protectant....

I rinsed the car down and made sure to rinse the top. It seemed like water beaded up a little in some areas and not in others. Overall, I'm a bid dissapointed. I'm unsure if I need to apply more or just try another product. I applied it exactly how the instructions stated. I think I'm going to try the 303 stuff next time.

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Just a follow up on my experiance with the Chemical Guy's convertible top protectant....

I rinsed the car down and made sure to rinse the top. It seemed like water beaded up a little in some areas and not in others. Overall, I'm a bid dissapointed. I'm unsure if I need to apply more or just try another product. I applied it exactly how the instructions stated. I think I'm going to try the 303 stuff next time.
I used 303 from the start on my 20. Applied in March, still beading off:)

I brushed mine on though rather than spraying. It's kind a hard to get it even with a brush, and I probably used more product than required, but if you use it you must put it out in the sun per instructions for drying. Hotter is better:)

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I used 303 from the start on my 20. Applied in March, still beading off:)

I brushed mine on though rather than spraying. It's kind a hard to get it even with a brush, and I probably used more product than required, but if you use it you must put it out in the sun per instructions for drying. Hotter is better:)
This. Spraying seems to be harder to get good coverage, but is easier. I plan to brush on next go round, and from what I hear, marine grade stuff is half the price for twice the amount. Think bimini top protection.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Here's my top today after about three hours in a parking lot with a light snow melting off of it. I had treated it with two sprayed-on coats of 303 protectant a few months ago. I try to hand wash when the weather allows, but its also been through a soft-cloth wash a couple of times since the protectant was applied. Still beading very well and the water rolls right off.

PXL_20210115_173532798.jpg

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I clean with Raggtop or Woolite in the black bottle.

I treat with West Marine Canvas Top Waterproofer. Other brands work well too (303, Raggtop).

CVCashmere

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ok, you sold me. I'll buy some of the 303 stuff this spring and give it a shot.

Sponsored

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Resuraecting an old thread. Which 303 protectant are you all using? The single bottle of fabric protectant or the whole convertible top kit?

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Resuraecting an old thread. Which 303 protectant are you all using? The single bottle of fabric protectant or the whole convertible top kit?
The fabric protector is what comes with the kit. The kit also includes a top cleaner, of which a light mist is best. The cleaner bottle will last you years. Use a soft bristle brush (I ordered a gentle horsehair off Amazon, and trimmed the edges at 45° angles) and agitate lightly. You'll use the entire bottle of protectant, and absolutely tape around the windows etc. Some people brush it on, which would work just fine. You can also search for 303 at boating shops since it'll probably be cheaper in bulk. A lot of Bimini tops use it.

81kHUS9hsNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I bought a gallon off Amazon.
I've done both the spray on method and brush on. Spraying was a very poor experience for me. A lot of prep masking the windows and paint and the effect didn't last very long. Brushing gives a much better coverage with only minimal prep and lasts a long time. I treat it every spring and fall but I DD mine so it's exposed to the elements year round.
Screenshot_20210523-203812_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I bought a gallon off Amazon.
I've done both the spray on method and brush on. Spraying was a very poor experience for me. A lot of prep masking the windows and paint and the effect didn't last very long. Brushing gives a much better coverage with only minimal prep and lasts a long time. I treat it every spring and fall but I DD mine so it's exposed to the elements year round.
Screenshot_20210523-203812_Amazon Shopping.jpg
This brings up a good point. I know the fabric guard is for water repellant purposes more than UV protection. This type seems to be for the best - does it bead up like the Fabric Guard? The UV is what breaks down the stiching and seams. Edit: I ran the math and you would need to buy 8 spray bottles to equal the giant gallon tub, which would cost about $91. This is a steal!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm sure it's been said in this thread before but...
As for cleaning the top prior to protecting it there's no real need to buy a special top cleaner either. Woolite for Dark fabrics will work great, is cheaper than any of the top cleaners and your wives/ girlfriends may already have it around.
Make sure the top is absolutely, 100% dry before applying the protectant.
Sponsored