Sponsored

How to clean my convertible top?

broxxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hi, just picked up my 2020 GT, pretty well fully loaded. Love it.... by the way. Anyway, I have never owned a convertible, just wondering how do I clean the rag top when needed?
20200718_124042.jpeg
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I use Woolite Dark in a spray bottle and a dedicated brush for convertible tops. You can get Raggtop as well, which is made for it. I didn’t, as I have had the car since new and I have been using 303 on it, so the top has never been really dirty. I would suggest doing the 303 or similar which helps keep the top clean and repelling water and dirt. Some spray, I brush it on, as I find that gives me better coverage and it’s easier to tell where you’ve applied it. No masking required either.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Do a Google search for convertible top cleaning. There are a lot of videos.
But basically the steps are;
1- Vacuum the top to remove loose dirt and dust.
2- Wash the top with a dedicated top cleaner for fabric tops. I use Raggtop but there are others and some do like the Woolite dark. Use a soft bristle brush like horsehair. I use an old shoeshine brush that I cleaned well.
3- Throughly rinse all of the soap off the top.
4- Allow the top to dry completely before opening it again.
5- Once COMPLETELY dry apply a fabric protectant. Protectant only needs applied every 3-6 months, give or take. Once water stops beading. I prefer 303 fabric protectant, brushed on.
Again a Google search has tons of info.

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I just did this over the weekend. I tried the Chemical Guys convertible top cleaner and protectant. Used a soft horse hair brush to lightly work the cleaner over the fabric and then rinsed it off completely. I let the top dry off overnight in the garage and then I used some drop cloths to cover all the windows and paint. Then I went over the top with a lint roller to get make sure it was completely free of any debris. Basically you spray it on and let it dry for an hour and then spray it on again and let it dry.

My car never sees the rain and is a garage queen - only driven on nice days. I won't know how well water beads up on it until I wash it again. I have heard good things about the 303 protectant. i might give that a try if the CG stuff doesn't do a good job.

Aaron Castaneda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf 2015
Hmm, I might try out that brand as well. I have a feeling that my ride might need the same amount of protection.

Sponsored

OP
OP
broxxman

broxxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did this over the weekend. I tried the Chemical Guys convertible top cleaner and protectant. Used a soft horse hair brush to lightly work the cleaner over the fabric and then rinsed it off completely. I let the top dry off overnight in the garage and then I used some drop cloths to cover all the windows and paint. Then I went over the top with a lint roller to get make sure it was completely free of any debris. Basically you spray it on and let it dry for an hour and then spray it on again and let it dry.

My car never sees the rain and is a garage queen - only driven on nice days. I won't know how well water beads up on it until I wash it again. I have heard good things about the 303 protectant. i might give that a try if the CG stuff doesn't do a good job.

Thanks, good advice. I washed it for the first time this weekend (have only had for 12 days). I just rinsed the top and it beaded nicely so didn't need to clean (frankly didn't need to clean the car either). Mine is in the garage too.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
This stuff works great with a soft brush.
6644e4ba-59ed-402a-8fd8-c0792da5facf_1.ec904710c5654530522b153ad4bd171b.jpg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Well, I’m a bit PO’d today. Went to the Costco website and they have removed the 303 Fabric Guard, as I mentioned above. It was really well priced, a 32 oz spray bottle and a US gallon jug for CDN$99.99. Hopefully they will bring it back before I need more.

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
Hi, just picked up my 2020 GT, pretty well fully loaded. Love it.... by the way. Anyway, I have never owned a convertible, just wondering how do I clean the rag top when needed?
20200718_124042.jpeg

I just had my top replaced today on my 2013 V6 Convertible. I never did anything but wash it with car wash soap. So I asked him today, is there anything special I should clean it with, or treat it with? He said Nope, just car wash. Convertible tops are pretreated and he said never use Convertible Top Cleaner as they are very harsh and there is no need for them. So take that advice for what it is, right from a guy who handles them for a living. Did not think this would be my 1st post here, but still waiting for my car to arrive to post pics. :)

OP
OP
broxxman

broxxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had my top replaced today on my 2013 V6 Convertible. I never did anything but wash it with car wash soap. So I asked him today, is there anything special I should clean it with, or treat it with? He said Nope, just car wash. Convertible tops are pretreated and he said never use Convertible Top Cleaner as they are very harsh and there is no need for them. So take that advice for what it is, right from a guy who handles them for a living. Did not think this would be my 1st post here, but still waiting for my car to arrive to post pics. :)
Thanks I have just been spraying it down as its still beading nicely, plus I won't even take my new Baby out in the rain so it hasn't seen dirt yet......

Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
This is what I used every six months. (Protectant) - the cleaner I use when there's noticable soiling, otherwise, a light rinse of the hose.
20200805_153032.jpg

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Is your 2013 a vinyl top? That is a different animal than the cloth tops on the S550, and requires different care.

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
Is your 2013 a vinyl top? That is a different animal than the cloth tops on the S550, and requires different care.
That is correct. 2013. But the upholstery guy was speaking of tops in general, not just vinyl. They are all pretreated by the mfg. So they just need general care. Now that's just general care. Not talking about trying to revive them, or get stubborn stains out, just general care. They just need a wash. I am sure the longer one owns one, maybe a waterproof treatments after a number of years wouldn't hurt. I will be taking receipt of my 2020 Convertible very soon so I will get to see first hand the difference and see if everything I just said was BS.
I am definitely not an authority on the subject, was just passing on advice since I had just gotten it that day.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The choice one makes depends on circumstances too. I daily mine through the salt ridden roads of a Toronto winter. The car gets very few washes during that time. The first winter I did the 303 treatment very late in the fall. The top remained virtually black through the entire winter, it shed everything. Last winter, I relied on the treatment that I had done earlier in the year. Consequently, I found I had a streamer of stain on each side from the corners of the A pillar back along the side panels by the spring. It took a lot of gentle scrubbing with a Woolite Dark mixture to remove, after which I did a treatment. I will do another one in the fall, regardless of how well the spring treatment is still performing. If you aren’t exposed to salt, or even significant dirt, you can probably get by on your top guy’s advice.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I use same soap as washing the car.......LOOKS GREAT after rinsing and drying........don't OVERTHINK this!!:like:
Sponsored