Sponsored

How to change background in Sync.. (at your own risk)

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
December 15th, 2021

All of this I found online, no code etc. was developed by me. It's all available for free. Except the FORscan adapter, USB stick(s), and a laptop you will need.

WARNING: only proceed if you want to "root", "jailbreak" (or whatever you want to call it) your Sync display. I am pretty sure that will void your warranty if anything should go wrong and you need professional assistance to get it back working. Once you add those components I haven't figured out yet how to remove them.
And once you install a custom theme it will stick until you either downgrade your sync to a previous version and then upgrade again. Not 100% sure.

EDIT: You can always overwrite the current theme with a new one, of course.
The link to the themes is further below.

Maybe it's possible to get it back using FORscan. Maybe someone can test that down the line. Make sure to start out by reverting your custom mods (Sync start logo, Lincoln, Shelby themes and what not back to stock). I did this on a 2021 Mustang GT, Sync version 3.4.21194.

"Hello new backgrounds! Bye bye warranty!"

1. Get your FORscan working:

I have this adapter
OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter

Download FORscan

FORscan license

2. Jailbreak Sync... Follow those instructions and get the 3 zip files needed. I only used 1 USB stick. I ran into other suggestions online but this one is the correct start. Your Sync will be updated 3 times by installing
a. "Hack"
b. Installing the "Daemon"
c. Installing the "Mod Tools"

EDIT: you need a gmail account since the website will allow you to download the 3 zip files to your "Google Drive" root folder. If you have an Android phone you automatically have a gmail account.

If everything goes well you can do the next step, that is installing the "Custom Background Loader" to Sync ..
Without that piece you can't upload any pics. (pics need to be 800x480 pixels)

2. Install the "Custom Background loader". It's located here, the source of all "evil", FMods.net
I believe you need to register first before you can download anything, at least I had to do it.

3. Create/edit or modify background images. I used a (somewhat free) website for editing my images. As I have found out images must be 800 pixels in length and 480 pixels in width. See below.

1639598961143.png

Once satisfied copy images to your USB stick. The main folder has to be in this format (customerBackgrounds).
Inside of it 2 folders, day and night.

1639599174213.png

Example inside the day folder (no special characters). Sync needs those in order to find your day/night pictures.
Hint, when editing pictures adjust the contrast or brightness to dark for night pictures, but its totally up to you, you can leave them like the day pictures, as long they can be found in both folders.
1639599258027.png

When you're ready head over to your Mustang, turn on ignition, wait until everything is loaded. 1 minute or so. Insert stick (I used the front USB port for loading pictures). You should see something on the top like "USB indexing.." Just wait another minute. Then go to settings, display, add pictures. You will notice new buttons as well, part of the "Customers Background loader" tool that was installed earlier. For me I had to try 1 or 2 times for Sync to load the pictures. You can only load all pics at once, there is not picking out pictures. I believe the same goes for deleting pictures, I think it deletes everything it can find in your Sync, haven't tested it yet.

EDIT: Confirmed, when pressing delete it will delete ALL backgrounds from Sync, EXCEPT the stock pictures and the backgrounds that came with the custom themes. Its good to have one USB with all your personal background pictures. After I hit "delete", I hit "add again" (with USB stick inserted) everything was reloaded from the stick I created earlier.

When the first load doesn't work, turn off ignition, close door and lock car, then try again after 2 minutes. They show up on their own, or you need to retry. I just got this working, so I am a complete noob to modifying Sync like you.

Oh, the themes can be found here. I chose the Aqua red theme for now.
And the snowflakes and other cool tools (Video Player, etc.) can be found here. It will add moving snowflakes over the whole display, if you're navigating, inside Android Auto, everywhere. It needs to be enabled/disabled in Display after install.
When installing a theme clear out the USB stick and copy the contents of the unzipped file you downloaded straight to the USB stick. Same goes for snowflakes if you want them.
Questions and answer are pretty much all answered here.
Have fun and happy sharing. L

EDIT: when adding themes, etc. make sure the only USB device connected to the car is your USB stick!

EDIT: I can only delete pictures when no USB or cable is attached to the car. As mentioned earlier, it will delete ALL pictures except Sync stock or theme pictures. And it will add ALL pictures it can find on the stick, if formatted properly by file and folder locations. I had to try 2 - 3 times for pictures to delete. Trial and error..

Result:
IMG_20211215_142243372.jpg

1639599043489.png

1639599248861.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My kitty
IMG_20211215_175555383.jpg

Me and GF
IMG_20211215_175632351.jpg

IMG_20211215_175653543.jpg

Looking forward for your pictures!

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Subbed to see if anyone else tries it

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How about the colour of the main buttons? Will it automatically follow the general appearance of whatever happens to be underneath them in the custom image?
I mean, if I upload a custom wallpaper having a reddish theme, will the buttons also become red?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about the colour of the main buttons? Will it automatically follow the general appearance of whatever happens to be underneath them in the custom image?
I mean, if I upload a custom wallpaper having a reddish theme, will the buttons also become red?
Yes, in order to do that you need the "Transparent Bars" add on. As you can see from the pictures I added the "date" add on as well.

IMG_20211216_093557344.jpg

IMG_20211216_093518694.jpg

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm about to do this on my car. I have the USB thumb drives ready. Looking forward to finally being able to customize Sync. I will be trying dark themed backgrounds as my first mod.

Now what if your background image has a colored bar across the bottom, say purple, and you have transparent buttons add-on? Theoretically you would have purple buttons, right? Can you make the buttons have a background color of your choosing just by editing the background image? Or would that look strange in some condition? @Gnatsum21 is that how you did red menu buttons? Edit: Nevermind, I see you installed the Aqua Red theme. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to do this on my car. I have the USB thumb drives ready. Looking forward to finally being able to customize Sync. I will be trying dark themed backgrounds as my first mod.

Now what if your background image has a colored bar across the bottom, say purple, and you have transparent buttons add-on? Theoretically you would have purple buttons, right? Can you make the buttons have a background color of your choosing just by editing the background image? Or would that look strange in some condition? @Gnatsum21 is that how you did red menu buttons? Edit: Nevermind, I see you installed the Aqua Red theme. :thumbsup:
Hello,
the red menu buttons came with the red theme I installed. But once you add the transparent add on you can make your buttons like what ever you want, depending on the wallpaper you chose. Remember, image size is 800x480, if you can figure out the button height, you can accommodate that into your background image by making the lower part of the image the color you want your buttons to look like, there is no limitation anymore :wink:
I looked if there is a "turn off" button for transparent add on, I don't think there is. But it's really not needed anymore. Plus you don't need a "red theme" or whatever anymore because your wallpaper will become your "theme", I hope I make sense. Good luck!

EDIT: Just threw this together, button height is a bit off, but you get the idea.
IMG_20211216_141302386.jpg

EDIT: I realize now when the button is "selected", the highlight feature is missing. Now, that would be part of a custom theme. See below, Audio is currently selected.

1639688790122.png

EDIT: It actually has a highlight. See below. Settings is selected. Yes, buttons are still off..
IMG_20211216_163146397.jpg

EDIT: Magic number seems to be 85 pixels.
IMG_20211216_171511824.jpg

Last edited:

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Loving this, going to play over the weekend, have an expedition and mustang both on sync 3 so lots of fun to be had. Is there any way of changing the sync splash screen pictures, with forscan I can select the default list say the Ford performance logo with shelby snake but I cant custom load a splash.

I have visions of grabbing the Bullit digital dash splash screen and mimicking it on sync :)

And to add to Bikeman315, nicely done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loving this, going to play over the weekend, have an expedition and mustang both on sync 3 so lots of fun to be had. Is there any way of changing the sync splash screen pictures, with forscan I can select the default list say the Ford performance logo with shelby snake but I cant custom load a splash.

I have visions of grabbing the Bullit digital dash splash screen and mimicking it on sync :)

And to add to Bikeman315, nicely done.
Splash screen? I don't know. Let's be pioneers together, find out and report back! :like:
On another note, I just disabled my Sync auto update in Settings.. just in case .. at least for now if maybe some poor shmo at FMods.net reports a "thumbs up" for auto updates :wink:

EDIT: I used to use FORscan for that, let me know if this is still possible, but I am ok with the Pony.

OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spinning cube, only works in FM or AM mode. Needed? Not really, but its working. πŸ€ͺ
EDIT: Do yourself a favor and don't install it.. it's very distracting, need to find a way to get rid of it or disable it.

UPDATE 01/05/2022: I was able to create a Linux script that renames the new files to the original file names and backed up the "spinning cube" files in case I want them again.

You need to add this to a custom autoinstall.sh file (I can be of help if needed):

mv /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/DABScreen.qml /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/DABScreen.qml.cube
mv /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/DABScreen.qml.orig /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/DABScreen.qml

mv /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/FMScreen.qml /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/FMScreen.qml.cube
mv /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/FMScreen.qml.orig /fs/mp/fordhmi/qml/hmimedia/components/FMScreen.qml

IMG_20211216_113549371.jpg

EDIT: In order to get the red theme back it needs to be added back by USB stick. There is no "theme picking" option.
IMG_20211220_175139196.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watching Kitty vs. Roomba video while driving (MP4 format). Needed? Not really. :facepalm:
Haven't been able to get a DVD working (DVD copied/transferred to USB stick). I was under the impression it works kind of like VLC player. Not in a hurry. Maybe someone else figures it out.

IMG_20211216_100117924.jpg

IMG_20211220_110435567.jpg

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Splash screen? I don't know. Let's be pioneers together, find out and report back! :like:
On another note, I just disabled my Sync auto update in Settings.. just in case .. at least for now if maybe some poor shmo at FMods.net reports a "thumbs up" for auto updates :wink:

EDIT: I used to use FORscan for that, let me know if this is still possible, but I am ok with the Pony.
It's entirely possible. Whoever created the "Fallout" theme replaced the start up animation with a "Please Stand By" screen. Not my thing, but damn, somebody put some effort into this. Now only if they could make more.

OP
OP
Gnatsum21

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's entirely possible. Whoever created the "Fallout" theme replaced the start up animation with a "Please Stand By" screen. Not my thing, but damn, somebody put some effort into this. Now only if they could make more.
You know you can create your own themes, right? There is a template somewhere at FMods.
Btw, their site is up and down today, all morning.

EDIT: Theme template
Sponsored

Last edited: