How To Adjust Your Indicated Average Fuel Economy

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Related to this adjustment, does it adjust the "miles to empty" or will it require different steps?
On my '15, the Miles To Empty was based on the average from the previous tank. If all I did was city driving the average was around 13. Then I'd fill up to take a little trip and the Miles To Empty was based off that 13 average even though I was getting 26.
Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
On my '15, the Miles To Empty was based on the average from the previous tank. If all I did was city driving the average was around 13. Then I'd fill up to take a little trip and the Miles To Empty was based off that 13 average even though I was getting 26.
Yes, but in that case, the MTE should update itself as you drive. I bought my 2016 GT used and based on the average fuel economy is was showing at the time, which wasn't very good probably from the way it had been test driven before I bought it, the MTE readout was less than 200 miles with an almost full tank. Needless to say, I was a little concerned about that, but as I drove the car, getting significantly better gas mileage as I was just trying to get used to it, the MTE display updated itself several times as the gas gauge dropped. Ultimately, I put about 250 miles on that tank and filled up with a little less than 1/4 tank showing on the gauge.

Deleted member 35786

Awesome thanks!!
Mine has been about 1 -1.5mpg off. So after a few tanks recording avg mpg I had to adjust it to .960. Will see how it adds up after a few tank fulls.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Awesome thanks!!
Mine has been about 1 -1.5mpg off. So after a few tanks recording avg mpg I had to adjust it to .960. Will see how it adds up after a few tank fulls.
My experience has been very similar to yours. I keep a fuel log and watch what the computer says vs what my calculations are and I thought most of my fill ups were anywhere between 1.2 and 1.5 mpg different. When I added up all my fill up cycles (66 of them), the overall difference was only 1 mpg with surprised me. Anyway, I made the adjustment that this thread is talking about and have put three tanks through the car. The difference between the computer and me has been 0.4, 0.5, and 0.1 respectively. I'm going to run a couple more tanks through, recalculate, and see if I can narrow things down a bit more. Only thing is, I've found that things as simple as filling up at a different pump can effect my fuel calculations by a couple of tenths all by itself. That's why I try to use the same station and pump when I fill up but that's not always possible. In the mean time, it's pretty cool we can do this.

Good luck with yours!

Deleted member 35786

My experience has been very similar to yours. I keep a fuel log and watch what the computer says vs what my calculations are and I thought most of my fill ups were anywhere between 1.2 and 1.5 mpg different. When I added up all my fill up cycles (66 of them), the overall difference was only 1 mpg with surprised me. Anyway, I made the adjustment that this thread is talking about and have put three tanks through the car. The difference between the computer and me has been 0.4, 0.5, and 0.1 respectively. I'm going to run a couple more tanks through, recalculate, and see if I can narrow things down a bit more. Only thing is, I've found that things as simple as filling up at a different pump can effect my fuel calculations by a couple of tenths all by itself. That's why I try to use the same station and pump when I fill up but that's not always possible. In the mean time, it's pretty cool we can do this.

Good luck with yours!
Agree. I’m not sure the pumps are that accurate as well when measuring the amount of fuel being pumped out. Myth busters covered this in some aspect when they were doing mpg tests. They measured the fuel by using marked containers to have the perfect amount for each test. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the fuel pumps which may not be accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Does the AFE Bias affect anything else? Possibly the odometer? Surely it's not there specifically for the average mpg readout.

Deleted member 35786

Does the AFE Bias affect anything else? Possibly the odometer? Surely it's not there specifically for the average mpg readout.
No. This is just for Average Fuel being consumed. Your odometer gets its reading from the transmission, taking into account for wheel/tire diameter. Nothing to do with AFE.

Deleted member 35786

After two tanks mine is right on the money now.. Sucks that it shows I get 1-1.5mpg less than before... :frown:

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
After two tanks mine is right on the money now.. Sucks that it shows I get 1-1.5mpg less than before... :frown:
At least it's being honest with you. I was always bummed a little when the display says I'm getting 25, but then do my own calculations and find out that I only got something between 23.5 and 24. For a V8 Mustang, I'm more than happy with 23.5 to 24 too and I don't have the let down of thinking I was getting 25 when I really wasn't. :)

Deleted member 35786

At least it's being honest with you. I was always bummed a little when the display says I'm getting 25, but then do my own calculations and find out that I only got something between 23.5 and 24. For a V8 Mustang, I'm more than happy with 23.5 to 24 too and I don't have the let down of thinking I was getting 25 when I really wasn't. :)
^^ Agree. I do wonder how accurate the pumps are in measuring the fuel though.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
^^ Agree. I do wonder how accurate the pumps are in measuring the fuel though.
I have often wondered about that too, but I've also found that how the car is sitting relative to the pump can make a big difference too. If the drive is angled slightly toward the pump or slightly away from the pump, that can effect how much the car will take before the fuel enters the filler pipe and clicks off the nozzle. That's why I always try to use the same pump when I'm filling up.

Deleted member 35786

I have often wondered about that too, but I've also found that how the car is sitting relative to the pump can make a big difference too. If the drive is angled slightly toward the pump or slightly away from the pump, that can effect how much the car will take before the fuel enters the filler pipe and clicks off the nozzle. That's why I always try to use the same pump when I'm filling up.
Also wait 30sec or more after it clicks to let the trapped air out. Then add fuel slowly after that point. On my other car I could add 1-2gal more after the click because of the trapped air.. crazy. Mustang not so much it seems.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Also wait 30sec or more after it clicks to let the trapped air out. Then add fuel slowly after that point. On my other car I could add 1-2gal more after the click because of the trapped air.. crazy. Mustang not so much it seems.
I've tried the 30 second thing. Sometimes it seems to make a difference, sometimes not. I agree with your observations on the Mustang. My other car is a Rav4 and it does better on the subsequent squeezes of the handle than the Mustang seems to.

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
I'll have my fuel economy displayed in l/100km (not in mpg). So for me if my real calculated economy is lower than what the car will display I'll have the bias number other way round (Real: 20l/100km; Car: 18l/100km). So my calculated bias would be 0,9. But if I did calculations in mpg it would be 1,111. That is because I calculate fuel per distance and (in US) you calculate distance per fuel. What number should I use in setting the correction value. Can someone who uses l/100km measure tell me?

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'll have my fuel economy displayed in l/100km (not in mpg). So for me if my real calculated economy is lower than what the car will display I'll have the bias number other way round (Real: 20l/100km; Car: 18l/100km). So my calculated bias would be 0,9. But if I did calculations in mpg it would be 1,111. That is because I calculate fuel per distance and (in US) you calculate distance per fuel. What number should I use in setting the correction value. Can someone who uses l/100km measure tell me?
I'd think it would be the same. I divided my car's average mpg by my calculated mpg and got 0.957. You said if you did the calculations in "mpg" it would by 1.111, but I plugged in the numbers you mentioned in L/100 km and got the same thing. 20/18 = 1.111. I'd say give it a try and see what you come up with. Worst case scenario is, you just put it back. My change reduced the difference between what the computer says and what I calculate but it's still not as spot on as I'd like it to be. After I made the adjustment, I've still had as wide as a 0.5 mpg difference and as close as 0.2 mpg. I've put four or five tanks through and will probably do a couple more and then recalculate and fine tune the adjustment. The thing is, I don't always trust that the gas pump is as accurate as we all hope it is.

Good luck!
Sponsored