How To Adjust Your Indicated Average Fuel Economy

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I ran a search on Google using the term "AFE bias ford". My hits lead me to a couple of sites in Germany that looked promising. Using Google translator I was able to get a concept on the bias calculation. My first attempt went the wrong way instead of being .9 it was 1.8 mpg off. After a few days of playing with some calculations and re-thinking the AFE Bias number of 1000 as 1.000 it started to make sense. Trial and error and a little wall banging :frusty:
Thanks for your efforts!

Now if we can just figure out:
1. How to display the digital speedometer during normal driving. (i.e. not in the engineering test mode)
2. Show "instant" gas mileage, not just average.
3. Stop the horn from honking when you get out of the car while it's running.
4. Have the clock change with DST.
5. Have the radio turn off when you turn the car off instead of waiting until the door is opened.
Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Thanks for your efforts!

Now if we can just figure out:
1. How to display the digital speedometer during normal driving. (i.e. not in the engineering test mode)
2. Show "instant" gas mileage, not just average.
3. Stop the horn from honking when you get out of the car while it's running.
4. Have the clock change with DST.
5. Have the radio turn off when you turn the car off instead of waiting until the door is opened.
3. Don't close the door all the way.
5. Why? I love that it doesn't.

all the rest, yes please!

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Just updated mine and we'll see how it does over the next couple tanks.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
As many of you know the indicated average fuel economy( mpg) found in the trip1 or Trip 2 display does not usually match the hand calculated. In my case the indicated has been .9 miles to the gallon more than the hand calculated. After some research and trial on my car, you can adjust this difference out by using the AFE Bias which is found in the Engineering Test Mode.

1. To get to the Engineering Test Mode. Search this site for instructions.

2. Be sure you have a sufficent sampling of fuel history logs to be able to be able to get a good idea of how far off the indicated is. I had over 18 months of fuel logs which included the hand calculated and the indicated mpg. You will need to get the average calculate mpg and the average indicated mpg.

• In the Engineering Test Mode scroll up or down using the left steering wheel controls (up or down). When you get to the AFE Bias screen you will see the number 1000.

• From what I have found this number represents the value of 1.000 and you can adjust it either higher by left arrow or lower by right arrow (left steering wheel control) by .001. Go right one click on the control the AFE Bias will show 999.

• To find out what number to input to the AFE Bias take your average calculated mpg and divide it by the average indicated mpg. In my case I had 17.64 calculated and 18.65 indicated which equals .945927 or rounded to .946. Using the right control button I changed my AFE Bias to 946. if your average calculated is higher than the average indicated you would get a number higher than 1. After 2 tanks of gas the indicate has been spot on for tank 1 and off by .1 for tank 2.

Hope you find this useful.
Great Info! Thanks.
I will give it a try. Mine is also off by .9. My 2015 Escape is off buy 1.9.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Reset mine this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

OP
OP
RubyRed15GT

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT 6MT, Ruby Red with Ceramic Interior
I just checked my 3rd tank. Indicated and calculated mpg are spot on.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Thanks for this info!

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I adjusted mine yesterday. My number calculated out to 945. I noticed as soon as I changed it, it recalculated my trip 2 mileage to match my hand calculated average I use in the aCar app i have been using since purchasing the car. I have not reset my trip 2 since new.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RubyRed15GT

RubyRed15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT 6MT, Ruby Red with Ceramic Interior
zuki_dan

I use Fuel 1 for my yearly total and rarely look at it......just checked the numbers and it did adjust my Fuel 1. Great observation thanks the feedback.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
My 2011 dash always reads 1-2 MPG lower than actual which I was fine with.

In my wife's 2014 2.5L Fusion SE the dash is 1-2 MPG higher than actual (as you are experiencing) and always has a matching / very optimistic "miles to E" right after filling up ... both irritate me. I was concerned my 2016 EB (if it ever arrives), would do the same as it's interface is very similar to the Fusion.

Thanks for this ... I can now adjust the Fusion and then probably do the Mustang after a few months of driving it ... that is if Ford ever decides to ship it (was built 4/20).

Doug

Bbrillon998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 (Ruby Red)
Very useful, thanks for the heads up on this ! Mine is always off by 1.0-1.5 MPG so i will adjust using the engineering test mode method.

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
After adjusting I went from 1.5 to 2mpg off to .1mpg over the last couple of tanks. Nice.
Sponsored