Sponsored

How the heck do you get the stock front springs back on?

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I'm needing to get my stock springs back onto the stock struts, but am having a hell of a time. Does anyone have any tips on getting them back on?

Every which way I set the clamp ends up compressing the spring really crooked. The first picture is what it looks like with the bottom sitting flush against the perch. I could line the top up instead, but there's almost no way I'd get the spring compressed enough to get the top on. The compressor is getting really hard to turn at the point in the 2nd pic. I've gone further than that, but it required me putting a ton of force on an 18" ratchet and still wasn't compressed enough.

20200310_172543.jpg
20200310_172647.jpg
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm guessing that it's because you're not grabbing the same number of coils on both sides. That means the top set of clamps is effectively squeezing against a softer spring than the lower set is.

Best to fairly generously lube the screw threads with grease or assembly lube.

Norm

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I'm needing to get my stock springs back onto the stock struts, but am having a hell of a time. Does anyone have any tips on getting them back on?

Every which way I set the clamp ends up compressing the spring really crooked. The first picture is what it looks like with the bottom sitting flush against the perch. I could line the top up instead, but there's almost no way I'd get the spring compressed enough to get the top on. The compressor is getting really hard to turn at the point in the 2nd pic. I've gone further than that, but it required me putting a ton of force on an 18" ratchet and still wasn't compressed enough.

20200310_172543.jpg
20200310_172647.jpg
In the second pic the leg with the yellow label should be moved up one rung towards the center of the spring, I think.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I'm guessing that it's because you're not grabbing the same number of coils on both sides. That means the top set of clamps is effectively squeezing against a softer spring than the lower set is.

Best to fairly generously lube the screw threads with grease or assembly lube.

Norm
In the second pic the leg with the yellow label should be moved up one rung towards the center of the spring, I think.
Yeah so in the second picture, the left is the top of the spring and right is the bottom. I can't really move the right arm any further towards the outside because it would bottom out on the strut and I won't be able to remove the compressor. Ditto for the left (top) side of the spring as well. If I move further towards the outside, then the compressor hook would get sandwiched between the top perch.

I've tried grabbing the top side of the spring instead of the bottom, but there's no difference. I'm starting to think this is impossible without a proper shop spring compressor.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I've done it with the cheesoid rented spring compressor from AutoZone but it is kinda tricky to position and I had the benefit of an impact gun. When I did it the second time, I took it to a shop and let them do it. Cost me 20 bucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I've done it with the cheesoid rented spring compressor from AutoZone but it is kinda tricky to position and I had the benefit of an impact gun. When I did it the second time, I took it to a shop and let them do it. Cost me 20 bucks.
You're a brave man. The amount you'd have to crank that down is pretty scary. I give up and am just going to take this to a shop tomorrow.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Haha yeah, that’s why I let the pros handle it the second time. They’ll get you fixed up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah so in the second picture, the left is the top of the spring and right is the bottom. I can't really move the right arm any further towards the outside because it would bottom out on the strut and I won't be able to remove the compressor. Ditto for the left (top) side of the spring as well. If I move further towards the outside, then the compressor hook would get sandwiched between the top perch.
Second picture, move the arm with the yellow sticker up one coil and leave the other three where they are. That way, both sides of the tool will be grabbing two complete coils instead of one side getting two and the other side three like you have now. Make sure that the screw is midway between the two sides (not offset toward either side).

Norm

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Just sit on them and lock the bolt just a bit and then put it in the strut tower and assemble the strut to the knuckle and compress it from bottom and tighten bolt.
Sponsored