Sponsored

How stupid is the idea of drilling holes for roof rack?

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Gotta admit. I took my 2007 Corolla s places that would scare 99% of the trucks where I live. 4wd trail? Bah. I’ll take the Corolla.

but. It was a Corolla!

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
You bastard. Now that's in my browser history
my wife said it reminded her of a Mach E. Runs out of steam faster than it accelerates.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I think you will just be inviting a leak sometime in the future. Big NO from me!

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Why not. Every man needs a strap on L

How much does the ebike weigh? ! The tounge max weight is 200 lb and can probably handle 400.
...if you look, "strap on" spelled backwards is 'no parts'............ :crazy:

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
If a Lambo can do it, so can you...........

37eeb2f7e96fa-lamborghini-aventador-super-cars-jpg.jpg
Stupid'est thing. Just throw away worn clothes and buy new. If you can afford a supercar like that, just have concierge to have new set of clothes ready at the Ritz Hotel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Stupid'est thing. Just throw away worn clothes and buy new. If you can afford a supercar like that, just have concierge to have new set of clothes ready at the Ritz Hotel.
He may be stupid but he’s the one driving a Lamborghini. 😁

FrankMCG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 5G Mustang 5G
Hi and thanks for the thread. Finally, are there any ready-to-go rack solutions for bikes in this case(similar to racks in this list)? Without any holes and damages

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
119 aluminum car.jpg

Hello; This scene played out a couple of decades ago near my home in KY. My guess is the guy was taking scrap aluminum to sell. Do not know if it came off of someone's roof.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Not worthy of even an answer. Simply seeing a questioner raise the question says all one needs to know.

Dustoff302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
IMG_9548.jpg

It's not for everyone like a few of the things I've done to my car, but I use it for cross country trips, so it works for me.

While I was installing it, I thought I'm not sure I'd do it again, but once you start drilling holes in your roof, you are kind of committed. It's a Yakima LockNLoad platform (the smallest they make but still bigger than I would have liked).

For a naked roof, they tell you to place the towers where you can avoid structure underneath. I didn't know exactly where the structure was so I placed them where it worked best and crossed my fingers (taking down the headliner would have defeated the purpose of the through-hole nuts they provided). Fortunately I mostly missed structure. I did have to Dremel a tiny but, but really tiny. Also, the through-hole nuts they provided needed too much clearance below to pivot in some places, so I replaced several with rivnuts. They held in well and it's really solid, so no concerns (I'm not planning to off-road it, so just on-road stress levels).

And while I haven't taken it off, it comes off in just a minute or two and just leaves the 4 tower bases which are pretty small and have covers so they are not too egregious. If I painted them white, most people probably wouldn't even see them.

I had a tire up there. It was previously in the former back seat area under the Watson roll bar, but it was a pain to get out when I had a flat. I liked the rally car look but I felt it looked a little too tall so I put it in the trunk and added the toolboxes. I have a set of Boss 302 wheels I used for snow tires when I lived in Denver, but now that I'm in L.A. I just use a front as a full-sized spare (and I can fit a rear in too for long trips).

When I'm towing a trailer, I call it my sport utility vehicle. Much sportier and more fun to drive than most SUV's even with the trailer. And I feel a bit better having an extra 4 gallons of gas on the roof in case I miss that last-chance-for-gas-next-63-miles sign (again).

This is my first post, so I'll mention the car is a '15 GT premium performance pack 6-speed with Recaro's (hence the roll bar so I could install Schroth street-legal harnesses). The side window louvers are Cervani's - I thought that although plastic (and solid) they matched best with the aluminum MRT louvers over the rear window. The trailer hitch is a Curt and it has a Roush variable exhaust without the valve but with the blanking plates removed, so it can be a little loud on cold start and at high revs when warm. Other than that and a few other accessories mounted here and there, it's pretty stock. I originally wanted a dark color, but I bought it at the tail end of the model year (zero % interest) and the only ones the dealer could locate with Recaro's were yellow and white. The white has grown on me though. I think it looks good with the black wheels and louvers. Most people probably disagree now that it has a roof rack, but to each his own; build what you like. Believe it or not, I have received several compliments.
Sponsored