Sponsored

How often does your GT 350 see redline?

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I take mine to the redline at least once every time I take it out. I feel like I'm doing the car a disservice if I don't.
Yes! I have a few favorite entrance ramps where I can redline in 1st and 2nd and it sounds wonderful!
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are stretching my mind here!.... I've driven 4 banger manuals all my life and 1st gear is to just to get the car rolling and that's it. I just can't wrap my head around 50mph in 1st gear..
I've come close in 3-5th gear on the track, but never on the street... past 2nd gear your going to jail....LOL.....
Here are a few videos of the guy from Motor Trend Reacting to the REDLINE...
in the first video he drives the camaro first... check out his reaction when he gets into the 350R

This video he complains about going to jail in 2nd gear..

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I just can't wrap my head around 50mph in 1st gear..
I think it's 53mph actually.

There are tracks where you need to downshift to first. Turn 18 at OIR, for instance:

There are quite a few higher-horsepower, high-revving, and/or track-oriented cars that have a loooong first gear.

A manual Challenger Hellcat will get to 60mph in first. It's all the more ridiculous when you consider that the redline is 6200 in that car.

Sponsored

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
I looked at the GT 350 a lot and did some research when it came out. At the time I was tracking a 1LE Camaro. So when I finally got to test drive one a couple months ago I warmed it up, jumped on the freeway on ramp and redlined it lol. Oh, and bought it. My wife was in the back seat (she's small) during the test drive and when I wound it out she giggled , ...."that sounds like America"
I pretty much wind it up to 8k every time I drive it. Its intoxicating. 1st track day on the 25th of June. Can't wait.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
This video he complains about going to jail in 2nd gear..
Here's the difference though, the GT350 is getting to 53mph in first gear using revs.

It's really not that much different from a Performance Pack GT in terms of gearing. Pretty normal stuff.

The Hellcat manual is getting to 60mph in first gear using TALL gearing. I have a lot of seat time in one of those, and it's.... different. You can putt around town in first gear. Like, it's nothing to be just doing 25mph down a side street in first and not really feel the need to upshift.

Reverse is tricky as hell in that car also. Not only can you not see out the back, but if you're not slipping the clutch you're doing like 10-15mph in reverse. It's sketchy.

The GT350 behaves nothing like that. You can pretty much drive it like a normal car.

Street driving, if you're short shifting it just works really well.

It's a worse daily compared to the Hellcat for other reasons, but this isn't one of them.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Let me put this another way that will make things clear: drop the 6200 RPM Hellcat motor into the GT350, and the car would only be able to do 39 or 40mph in first (depending on which tire size.)

That's pretty average as far as sports cars go and it's what makes the GT350 feel so normal in daily driving, and the 8250 RPM redline is what makes it great on track.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the difference though, the GT350 is getting to 53mph in first gear using revs.

It's really not that much different from a Performance Pack GT in terms of gearing. Pretty normal stuff.

The Hellcat manual is getting to 60mph in first gear using TALL gearing. I have a lot of seat time in one of those, and it's.... different. You can putt around town in first gear. Like, it's nothing to be just doing 25mph down a side street in first and not really feel the need to upshift.

Reverse is tricky as hell in that car also. Not only can you not see out the back, but if you're not slipping the clutch you're doing like 10-15mph in reverse. It's sketchy.

The GT350 behaves nothing like that. You can pretty much drive it like a normal car.

Street driving, if you're short shifting it just works really well.

It's a worse daily compared to the Hellcat for other reasons, but this isn't one of them.
I totally agree and it's another reason I bought it. I can tool around town without worrying about the gas pedal being an on/off switch. It very civil around town. As soon as I'm on a back road I can wind it up in 1st and 2nd (without redlining) and still stay within the speed limit..Man.. what a car!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the gearing works well in the GT350, but it was a big mistake by Ford to change the regular GT's gearing to match. The GT needs some gear to be a fun street car. It's way too tame with the current gearing.

I would prefer the GT350 to have slightly steeper gearing as well. It should top out 1st closer to 40 mph and have the rest of the gears set up correspondingly. And 5th and especially 6th are WAAAY too tall. 6th is just dumb IMO.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
My ZR1 hits 61 mph in 1st gear and 93 or so in 2nd and 121 or so in 3rd gear.

All stock
Still waiting for the day to see a Corvette really gunning it. It seems all they do is cruising. Yes, keeping it safe is priority number one but I can't even "play" with them. :wink:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think the gearing works well in the GT350, but it was a big mistake by Ford to change the regular GT's gearing to match. The GT needs some gear to be a fun street car. It's way too tame with the current gearing.

I would prefer the GT350 to have slightly steeper gearing as well. It should top out 1st closer to 40 mph and have the rest of the gears set up correspondingly. And 5th and especially 6th are WAAAY too tall. 6th is just dumb IMO.
yeah, I agree. Somewhere in the middle would have been best. Not sure what goes into that conversation from an engineering standpoint. I know there are some Bullit owners who have complained about the tall gearing as well...

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Still waiting for the day to see a Corvette really gunning it. It seems all they do is cruising. Yes, keeping it safe is priority number one but I can't even "play" with them. :wink:
You should see me then. I have 19,600 miles and they are “fun” miles lol.
Sponsored