Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot "You find yourself taking the long way home just to hit some twisty roads."

I really miss the Texas Hill country and all those fun roads. Guess the park road I take on my way home will have to do.
The only thing blooming for the next couple months is Cedar. Achooo!
Sponsored

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Track day are anywhere from $150 to $300 per day depending on track location and day
As a beginner it’s pretty cheap but it’s a very slippery slope, as you progress and go faster, you will reach the limits of your stock gt very fast
Once you reach that point, either you decide that it is fast enough for you or you still want go faster and you then start modifying your car. Brakes, suspension, wheels and tires, cooler, etc
Once you reach this point, i would say between $1k to $2k per day. That would include everything including mechanical repairs
Thank you! What are the pluses and minuses of a ‘vert? Mine is a ‘16 PP1 Roush Phase 1 w Magnaflow cat back - otherwise stock.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thank you! What are the pluses and minuses of a ‘vert? Mine is a ‘16 PP1 Roush Phase 1 w Magnaflow cat back - otherwise stock.
I raced a mustang convertible for years, see pictures below, so there is no downside per say as long that you have roll over protection
I really enjoyed the “outside “ feeling, almost like with an open wheel car
D04E672B-DCBE-40A3-8A29-E74828A7E1D2.png

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing blooming for the next couple months is Cedar. Achooo!
Yeah for me it was more about the roads than the scenery. I used to live off McNeil so when I would get bored I would take the Harley, M3 or Cobra out for a quick drive. My normal route was Spicewood springs to Capital of Texas up to 2222 then hit Bullick Hollow and finish up on Lime Creek. Sometimes I would take City Park Road off 2222 while I was out there. Once while out on Lime Creek I blew a steering hose in the M3 on a blind off camber hairpin. Driving back home was fun with no power steering.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah for me it was more about the roads than the scenery. I used to live off McNeil so when I would get bored I would take the Harley, M3 or Cobra out for a quick drive. My normal route was Spicewood springs to Capital of Texas up to 2222 then hit Bullick Hollow and finish up on Lime Creek. Sometimes I would take City Park Road off 2222 while I was out there. Once while out on Lime Creek I blew a steering hose in the M3 on a blind off camber hairpin. Driving back home was fun with no power steering.
I used to commute down the fun part of 2222 on a Ducati 4 times a day and would go down to ski shores for lunch. Then back down it a couple more times in a turbocharged miata for overtime hours. That was a fun car till I totaled it on 2222 in a snowstorm. I wrecked on 2222 3 times in total (in my younger days)

Now I’m boring and keep it mostly to closed courses where I can safely go 10/10ths. Lime creek is still exciting but so much development out there now.

Sponsored

Goodwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue/Black Mustang GT Premium
I had my almost brand new 2020 GT convertible, Pilot Sport 4's only 4k miles on them, stock brakes still lots of meat on the pads, new roll bar, check, helmet, check, first time tools, check (too many of course), waters, fruit, snacks, chairs, check, check, check. Off I went to this HPDE thing! Some said look out you might enjoy it, and they were right! Now I find myself looking at things from a different viewpoint ....

You might be track rat if...

you raise your fist when taking the off ramp from the highway.

you're trying to apex every curve, even the ones in the circles.

you're upset when you see the driver in front of you not EVEN trying to apex those same curves.

you think of your subdivision turn off as the Hot Pit.

you keep waiting for a point by from the dude going 30mph in a 50mph.

you actually give someone a point by on the Interstate, oh what???

approaching stops and red lights you figure out the braking zone needed to keep speed up to that last second.

you're calculating how many times you'd pass that jerk in the Tuner if you were both on the track now.

you notice that somehow you keep parking Grand Prix style at the Kroger.

you call your driveway the Cold Pit.

after parking at work you pop the hood to cool off the engine.

in traffic you really, really wish they had a guy with the blue flag with the yellow slash out there waving folks down.

driving in constructions zones are considered under yellow flag.

you have a "parts budget" in your monthly bills spreadsheet.

and finally your family has learned to give you the checker flag when coming home if they want to borrow money or have you buy dinner!

LOL
Having done over 20 HPDEs, I had to laugh at the comments about apexing every curve, and waiting for a point by! Good stuff! I still try to apex ever curve!

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed when I get in the "I gotta go fast" mood on the street, sometimes I'll get inches away from the car in front of me. I don't think much of it in the moment but it freaks the hell out of my wife.

That and other times when I'm in that mood, I'll approach turns on the furthest outside edge, ready to apex....then my wife looks at me and says "no fast turns!"....then I take it as fast as I can and everything sitting in the car goes flying. Have to enjoy the little things in life.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed when I get in the "I gotta go fast" mood on the street, sometimes I'll get inches away from the car in front of me. I don't think much of it in the moment but it freaks the hell out of my wife.

That and other times when I'm in that mood, I'll approach turns on the furthest outside edge, ready to apex....then my wife looks at me and says "no fast turns!"....then I take it as fast as I can and everything sitting in the car goes flying. Have to enjoy the little things in life.
I dated a girl who's dad was a pilot. After flying with her dad, there was nothing I could do to scare her in a car. No fun at all :/

I take a lot of passengers at autocross. The best ones make awkward involuntary noises, but my favorite was making a guy puke on a track. Technically he just turned bright green while we were driving hard and puked in an autozone trashcan on the way home.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1

The sheet of paper pass, usually makes the passenger get up off the seat a bit LOL

My girl is a trooper, and even if I drift a corner or theres a hard right onto a road we ride a lot, thats an off camber right with a down after the apex, and I almost always throw all the weight to the front and hit it, then theres a sweeping left after and get the snap, she just sits and giggles as if "why wouldnt you do that" lol

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I dated a girl who's dad was a pilot. After flying with her dad, there was nothing I could do to scare her in a car. No fun at all :/

I take a lot of passengers at autocross. The best ones make awkward involuntary noises, but my favorite was making a guy puke on a track. Technically he just turned bright green while we were driving hard and puked in an autozone trashcan on the way home.
Funny. It brings up something I also learned this first track season, some folks can drive and ride and some folks can drive but not ride. Doing a ride along is waaay different than having your hands on the wheel and feets on the pedals. Your sneaky brain goes into a whole different mode when engaged vs. sitting like luggage in the right hand seat. Then weird shit can happen to your brain and other body parts. At Putnam park some of the Advanced drivers who are really kickass freely admitted that they just can't ride, it gets to them. But they can smoke you around the turns with a wheel in their hands. For me I found out that I can ride okay (so far), it's the first time on the straights when we hit over 130MPH my BP drops a bit and I feel a little giddy. Once we make that first turn you can go as fast as you want in the turns or straights and I'm having a good day.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Funny. It brings up something I also learned this first track season, some folks can drive and ride and some folks can drive but not ride. Doing a ride along is waaay different than having your hands on the wheel and feets on the pedals. Your sneaky brain goes into a whole different mode when engaged vs. sitting like luggage in the right hand seat. Then weird shit can happen to your brain and other body parts. At Putnam park some of the Advanced drivers who are really kickass freely admitted that they just can't ride, it gets to them. But they can smoke you around the turns with a wheel in their hands. For me I found out that I can ride okay (so far), it's the first time on the straights when we hit over 130MPH my BP drops a bit and I feel a little giddy. Once we make that first turn you can go as fast as you want in the turns or straights and I'm having a good day.
Yeah, Whit spent a whole session in the passenger seat with me driving at 9/10ths. I was glad. But I told him that I threw up a little while riding with an instructor once. I almost lasted the 20 minutes. So yeah, I really get seasick as a passenger.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Great thread and welcome to the addiction OP.

For those that are either new to the addiction or want a low cost/easy option, check out SCCA’s Track Night in America program.

I used to coach for them for years and it is a very welcoming program and offer track events at most venues across the US. They also partner up with Tire Rack, Hagerty Insurance, Hawk Pads, Koni Shocks to offer discounts on their goods or services.

If your new to seat time, check it out!
Sponsored

Last edited: