Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I had my almost brand new 2020 GT convertible, Pilot Sport 4's only 4k miles on them, stock brakes still lots of meat on the pads, new roll bar, check, helmet, check, first time tools, check (too many of course), waters, fruit, snacks, chairs, check, check, check. Off I went to this HPDE thing! Some said look out you might enjoy it, and they were right! Now I find myself looking at things from a different viewpoint ....

You might be track rat if...

you raise your fist when taking the off ramp from the highway.

you're trying to apex every curve, even the ones in the circles.

you're upset when you see the driver in front of you not EVEN trying to apex those same curves.

you think of your subdivision turn off as the Hot Pit.

you keep waiting for a point by from the dude going 30mph in a 50mph.

you actually give someone a point by on the Interstate, oh what???

approaching stops and red lights you figure out the braking zone needed to keep speed up to that last second.

you're calculating how many times you'd pass that jerk in the Tuner if you were both on the track now.

you notice that somehow you keep parking Grand Prix style at the Kroger.

you call your driveway the Cold Pit.

after parking at work you pop the hood to cool off the engine.

in traffic you really, really wish they had a guy with the blue flag with the yellow slash out there waving folks down.

driving in constructions zones are considered under yellow flag.

you have a "parts budget" in your monthly bills spreadsheet.

and finally your family has learned to give you the checker flag when coming home if they want to borrow money or have you buy dinner!

LOL
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and somehow the number keeps going up. Till your kids are dressed in thread-bare, 3-times patched pants and jackets. And the 50 gallon drums of VP/E85R keeps growing in the back yard.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
The more you do it the more you will enjoy it. The faster you go the more you will spend. The more you will enjoy it.

Seat time is the best way to go fast. Otherwise start with wheels and tires, brake pads and fluid.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I applaud u for getting your vert out there.. can I ask why the decision to go vert vs coupe? How difficult was the roll bar setup?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had my almost brand new 2020 GT convertible, Pilot Sport 4's only 4k miles on them, stock brakes still lots of meat on the pads, new roll bar, check, helmet, check, first time tools, check (too many of course), waters, fruit, snacks, chairs, check, check, check. Off I went to this HPDE thing! Some said look out you might enjoy it, and they were right! Now I find myself looking at things from a different viewpoint ....

you're upset when you see the driver in front of you not EVEN trying to apex those same curves.

approaching stops and red lights you figure out the braking zone needed to keep speed up to that last second.

you're calculating how many times you'd pass that jerk in the Tuner if you were both on the track now.

in traffic you really, really wish they had a guy with the blue flag with the yellow slash out there waving folks down.

and finally your family has learned to give you the checker flag when coming home if they want to borrow money or have you buy dinner!

LOL
I felt the same way when I was tracking my bikes.

Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
I felt the same way when I was tracking my bikes.
Yep! At least the car is less painful...it's all more expensive, but I think my body appreciates it.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yep! At least the car is less painful...it's all more expensive, but I think my body appreciates it.
Lol. Motorcycle riding is highly physical. Lots of loading and unloading going on. Costs a lot less too.

I wouldn't mind finding a wrecked one to make into a pure track slut. Maybe I'll take a more conservative approach when I do make one in the future.

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot "You find yourself taking the long way home just to hit some twisty roads."

I really miss the Texas Hill country and all those fun roads. Guess the park road I take on my way home will have to do.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
I applaud u for getting your vert out there.. can I ask why the decision to go vert vs coupe? How difficult was the roll bar setup?
My decision was based on having the chance to drive the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) years ago in a rented Caddilac CTS. But it was a hardtop and I kept having to pullover to see the great views. I knew 1) I was always coming back and 2) it was going to be in a convertible! When I decided on the exact options I wanted in a GT I knew the trade off for the vert when doing track and accepted it.
I got a Watson 4 point roll bar, it bolts to factory bolt holes no drilling and can be removed for off season longer road trips.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
You forgot "You find yourself taking the long way home just to hit some twisty roads."

I really miss the Texas Hill country and all those fun roads. Guess the park road I take on my way home will have to do.
True, true! Everyone can add their other sayings too!

btw I lived in San Antonio and Houston and the Hill Country is great driving, especially when the wildflowers are blooming!

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

And I come into the turn lane at 50, drop it into 2nd and hear the rev-match and active exhaust in "Track" announce my arrival. ;)
Not to be too big a pita my active exhaust is in "quiet" for almost all my other driving.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
  • in roundabouts, you put two wheels over the mellow curbs, pretending they are FIA curbs.
  • You tap your mirror to show the guy behind you that you notice he is on your six.

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck

LOL
If I may ask: how much was: 1. the cage installed & where did you source? 2. How much did you spend on tools? 3. Did you do anything to protect paint? 4. What did you spend on any other car improvements ie chassis or additional whelk sets? 5. How much for fees to enter out how many events? 6. How much for consumables like pads and tires?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
If I may ask: how much was: 1. the cage installed & where did you source? 2. How much did you spend on tools? 3. Did you do anything to protect paint? 4. What did you spend on any other car improvements ie chassis or additional whelk sets? 5. How much for fees to enter out how many events? 6. How much for consumables like pads and tires?
Well lots of Q's, so note if you are new to track check out the sticky's in this subject forum. 1. The roll bar was around $1100 and I think it was LMR. I had a friend install it but now I can remove it and reinstall it myself. 2. tools not much I had a lot already, less than $400 and you learn as you go what's handy at the track. 3. Paint, I had the car ceramic coated professional like and used Track Wrap in the beginning on the areas that get most abused. I'm having the whole front, mirrors and A pillars done in PPF before next season. 4. Minimal improvements, some heat wrap on exhaust, oil change, track pads once a blew through my stockers, tow hooks, took some good advice that seat time is the best first mod. 5. Events you'll have to find out in your general area who runs HPDE's to attend and what they charge. I factored in Track Insurance too. It's not a cheap hobby but work every penny to me. 6. You will get to know what's going to be needed, but if you are tracking at least 3 to 6 events, tires, brake pads, fluids, even wheel studs will wear out at some point. Money wise you can buy up or down the range of tires, pads, etc. so hard to say.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Track day are anywhere from $150 to $300 per day depending on track location and day
As a beginner it’s pretty cheap but it’s a very slippery slope, as you progress and go faster, you will reach the limits of your stock gt very fast
Once you reach that point, either you decide that it is fast enough for you or you still want go faster and you then start modifying your car. Brakes, suspension, wheels and tires, cooler, etc
Once you reach this point, i would say between $1k to $2k per day. That would include everything including mechanical repairs
Sponsored