Sponsored

How much hp can a 2017 Mustang GT stock engine can handle?

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
In your case, I'd be far more worried about the "in-house tuning" than the peak horsepower number. Who is tuning it?
The shop is highpsi from Texas. The reviews are pretty good. I would have went with Jeff from Centralperformance but he closed his shop. He did recommend this shop before.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just did the LCA bearing, Adjustable toe rods, poly vertical links, and diff bushings, still waiting on the cradle bushings. Even without the glorious CB005 cradle bushing lockouts the rest made a huge difference. And I already have wide sticky tires. Those 235's stand no chance boosted no matter what suspension mods you throw at it. narrow and hard rubber+boost equals tire spinning mess.
Completely agree because it’s a whole new level. I’m looking at rims now.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Yeah I’m back looking at wider rims and tires. I think this options will have a better chance holding it. I did install an lca, panhard bar, and spring for 12 Mustang GT with a tune and intake only and held it down. I had a wheel hopped with just those upgrades and it’s nowhere near the procharger power level. 19x9.5 can take 305 tires?
I’ve seen guys with 305/35R19 MTSS on stock PP1 wheels, seems to work OK

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’ve seen guys with 305/35R19 MTSS on stock PP1 wheels, seems to work OK
Thanks. Mine is base with 3.55 ratio but I’m looking right now. Probably ask the shop tomorrow because they said 305 will work just fine. I’ll have a funny looking car because of different wheels lol. As long it’s going to hook and it’s pretty fast I’m cool right now. I’ll get it straight later on.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Thanks. Mine is base with 3.55 ratio but I’m looking right now. Probably ask the shop tomorrow because they said 305 will work just fine. I’ll have a funny looking car because of different wheels lol. As long it’s going to hook and it’s pretty fast I’m cool right now. I’ll get it straight later on.
I’m also running 3.55 for now. Trust me, traction is way more important than looks. Not just for fun/racing, but for safety. My car broke the factory PS4s loose at 80mph. That’ll make your butt pucker!!

Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know where a set of (4) 18 x 10s with 305 NT01s and no fronts are located for $800. Saw them for sale elsewhere.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m also running 3.55 for now. Trust me, traction is way more important than looks. Not just for fun/racing, but for safety. My car broke the factory PS4s loose at 80mph. That’ll make your butt pucker!!
I got the traction piece and that’s why I’m looking hard now. At least the tires and rims at the back. I’ll get back with the shop tomorrow and ask what rim size is enough. I can do the lca’s and bushing down the road. I just need a little bit of traction.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I know where a set of (4) 18 x 10s with 305 NT01s and no fronts are located for $800. Saw them for sale elsewhere.
If you remember let me know. Thanks.

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How much hp can a 2017 Mustang GT stock engine can handle?
Tracked a Whippled 15 w 650-680 whp and turned it down 580-600 ish for power delivery issues as I was buying used 3.15 diffs 3 at a time.
After 2 track seasons and always street driven like stolen after CHT 200+ for 5 minutes:
#8 was 160dry , maybe 180 wet, it needed rings n likely pistons then I totally killed the top end when trans 6R80 let go at 7800 rpm and WOT (slipped timing at 8400ish). Yes, I was tracking a 6R80 with second cooler -beefy , mad respect Ford engineering.
If not tracking, Id expect 5 yrs at 10k miles a yr pretty much let it eat. 10+ yrs w occasional pulls.
Just no 5w20 summer or CHT above 220ish. 5w30 to CHT240-245. Then 5w50 if you are pushing 240+ in 20 min sessions on track (or driving like a psycho - totally ok if LEO).

I would not go above 725-800 unless first opening the ring gaps. Dunno if you spread the power increase out over time if rings will self clearance without breaking lands? Heard 5000 miles at 700whp is less likely to break lands than 0 miles when going for 900+.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I called to get more info from a supercharger dealer and told me even if I go P-1X route, I’ll be using my stock fuel pump and stock injectors. I told them if that’s the case, I should get the tuner kit because I do have an sct x4. Sunshine performance will test my tuner if it’s going to work on my car. If my handheld works, I’ll be saving another $450 vs from the original shop I got quoted from. He have a dynojet and the original shop only does in house tuning.

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Stock injectors? Not sure who would be willing to tune a blower car with stock injectors. Find a better shop for advice.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
OK...here is some advice from experience. If you cannot afford to do it right....STOP NOW. You need to go with an experienced tuner who knows these cars. Lund, PBD, AED all good choices. You can do a remote tune, which IMO is better than a dyno tune because of road feedback. The tuners I have mentioned have done thousands of S550s and know their shit. None of them would tell you that you can use stock injectors and stock fuel pump with boost. Procharger complete kits even come with bigger injectors...why do you think that is :idea: Do it right the first time...there are places and things you can save a buck on here and there.....fuel and tuning are not in that category.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Stock injectors? Not sure who would be willing to tune a blower car with stock injectors. Find a better shop for advice.
It’s not the shops that told me I don’t need injectors, pump, or boost a pump, it’s the the supercharger dealer said that lol. The kit comes with everything including the diablo tuner except the injectors and fuel pump.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OK...here is some advice from experience. If you cannot afford to do it right....STOP NOW. You need to go with an experienced tuner who knows these cars. Lund, PBD, AED all good choices. You can do a remote tune, which IMO is better than a dyno tune because of road feedback. The tuners I have mentioned have done thousands of S550s and know their shit. None of them would tell you that you can use stock injectors and stock fuel pump with boost. Procharger complete kits even come with bigger injectors...why do you think that is :idea: Do it right the first time...there are places and things you can save a buck on here and there.....fuel and tuning are not in that category.
I understand but, those are coming from the supercharger dealer not mine. That’s why I come here and ask for advice or help. Anyways, the supercharger dealer is called supercharger4less.
Sponsored