Sponsored

How much hp can a 2017 Mustang GT stock engine can handle?

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
If you're in the Houston area. I would suggest taking the car to Limitless Performance & Fabrication. Not sure which part of Texas.
He will get you squared away with the tune. Should break 600 easy.
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Do you know how much boost? You can usually sustain about 12psi on 93 octane.

That along with a Lund or PBD tune will help you alot. If you don't already have it, 100% get an 18 manifold and rev it higher (at least 7500).

Those will be your biggest improvements and where I would put my money before going headers. You can always do cat deletes for cheaper too for similar gains. And definitely change out the spark plugs. NGK 6510 or Brisk RR14S, gap to .028

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
You can make this much power if you dare, this is no dyno queen.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The plugs are easy man, except the rear passenger one. You're going to need a u-joint or one of the special swivel 5/8 spark plug sockets for that one to go easy because of the box around the battery. I bought a swivel socket on amazon for $10 for the job.

As far as the Lund tune, I went with them from my canned Edelbrock tune and it took about 4-5 days to get the car dialed in with about 20-30 minutes of work a day on my part. Set up, do exactly what the tuner told me while logging and then send it back to him. I'm on my 4th revision of the tune and this one looks final. Very easy process and the car runs amazingly well now.
The car runs amazing right now and no lagging from what I can tell although after starting the car and went wot, the car seems to have a little juice? I think I need to build the boost first for a few mins then floor it. I’m slowly learning this s/c.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Also if you haven't already, you should install a 170 degree thermostat. especially with that brutal Texas summer heat. Your tuner will change the cooling fan setting in your tune to switch the cooling fan on at a lower temp. I know Lund already does this for all FI tunes, but I'm sure the others do as well.
I’ll take a look at that because it’s pretty damn hot here already. I’m looking at San Antonio Murillo Racing and they do specialize on Mustang from what I heard. They’ll do $600-700 tune only though using my old standard 12 Mustang GT sct x4. He assures me that as long it’s unmarried from the old standard car, I can use the handheld device without a problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Do you know how much boost? You can usually sustain about 12psi on 93 octane.

That along with a Lund or PBD tune will help you alot. If you don't already have it, 100% get an 18 manifold and rev it higher (at least 7500).

Those will be your biggest improvements and where I would put my money before going headers. You can always do cat deletes for cheaper too for similar gains. And definitely change out the spark plugs. NGK 6510 or Brisk RR14S, gap to .028
Headers is definitely the last on my list because I’m tired with loud noises for now lol. Although I heard a few Mustangs with these newer 5.0 and it does sound amazing! That’s the problem I’m going through right now. The kit didn’t came with a handheld tuner because they used their own software so I don’t know what I’m running psi wise. I’m currently looking at a shop so I can use my sct x4.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You can make this much power if you dare, this is no dyno queen.

I stopped watching the vid after hearing turbo and 1k hp lol. I’d like get that but that’s not what I have.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you're in the Houston area. I would suggest taking the car to Limitless Performance & Fabrication. Not sure which part of Texas.
He will get you squared away with the tune. Should break 600 easy.
I’m 3 hrs away from
Houston but I can make the drive if I have to. Got to get it right for sure. I just need to know if they’re sct friendly.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The car runs amazing right now and no lagging from what I can tell although after starting the car and went wot, the car seems to have a little juice? I think I need to build the boost first for a few mins then floor it. I’m slowly learning this s/c.
No such thing. It will immediately start building boost when you floor it (around 4k), not before.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
No such thing. It will immediately start building boost when you floor it (around 4k), not before.
Alright. Also, sliding ain’t cool @ wot. I knew the uneven road was there but I know now, not to mess with certain things with a boosted car.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I made about 1-1.5 lbs on the 2 step @2500. Kinda surprised me to make anything that low. And that’s on 4.5” pulley. Once it flashes the converter to about 4,000 is 3.5-4 lbs

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
It's not possible to "build boost" with a belt driven supercharger. (the i-1 series Procharger may be the exception). It can be done to some degree with a turbo because you can hold the gas and the brake at the same time. This opens the throttle and adds more air and fuel, which in turn makes more exhaust gases which spins the turbo faster, even though the engine speed doesn't change.

I too see boost around 2500 RPM during WOT. I wouldn't really recommend WOT below 3k though. It puts unnecessary load on the rods and crankshaft. These motors sing at high RPM, which is perfectly suited to a Centrifugal supercharger. Wind that biatch up and let er' eat.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It's not possible to "build boost" with a belt driven supercharger. (the i-1 series Procharger may be the exception). It can be done to some degree with a turbo because you can hold the gas and the brake at the same time. This opens the throttle and adds more air and fuel, which in turn makes more exhaust gases which spins the turbo faster, even though the engine speed doesn't change.

I too see boost around 2500 RPM during WOT. I wouldn't really recommend WOT below 3k though. It puts unnecessary load on the rods and crankshaft. These motors sing at high RPM, which is perfectly suited to a Centrifugal supercharger. Wind that biatch up and let er' eat.
Yeah this supercharger does rock @ high rpm. I’m enjoying every min of it! Haven’t driven this car this long since I bought it. Finished a remodeling job fairly quickly this week so I have some days off lol. Definitely beat refilling the nitrous bottle. I think I picked the right s/c and P1 upgrade and thanks to y’all. Also the Nitto 555R was a great choice too. Future upgrades has to be the suspension just because sliding ain’t cool. I’m definitely studying this s/c world.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m still trying to figure out what size of injectors they installed because I forgot to take a picture before they installed it. The shop sucks at that part of the job. They’re nice but I want to know what I have. I honestly think they did that on purpose so they can make me add more parts.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Did you get the kit directly from Procharger or through the shop that did the install? Either way, there is a packing slip with all the parts in the kit. I don't know what injectors Procharger would supply with their complete kits. Removing an injector to look at it is quite simple.
Sponsored