Sponsored

How much dirt (rough %) can you remove just by hose vs Foam gun + hose vs foam cannon/pressure washer. NO contact.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you mean, it would probably fit nicely in the flatbed of one of your trucks ... :cwl:

In all honesty though and based on the environment we live in, it’s a way more sensible choice than the mustang :frown:

The mustang really sticks out over here and is defo in a minority group (one of the attractions of it for me) - but that probably makes us a much easier target for the emissions tightening / GPF’s / getting IC of the roads / introducing EV’s etc as the new norm ... :frown:

The mustang doesn’t even fit well in outdoor parking spaces never mind indoor / covered parking - the times I have been to the states I am always jealous of your lane widths / parking lot sizes / herringbone style parking etc. We are stuck with bays that suit that little Kia and still allow you to open the doors without being a contortionist ... lol

WD :like:
Sponsored

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
No matter what is sprayed on the vehicle, it doesn't remove enough dirt, tree sap, bird droppings, iron dust and whatever else may be on the clear coat. Unless something is used to contact and remove the contaminants in the proper manner, it isn't worth doing.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am in 100% agreement with that for a car that is your pride n joy, but the lines get a lot more blurry on daily / winter drivers and when time becomes a constraint.

I would much rather give the car a good jet wash to rid it of salt / grit etc when it needs it than just leave it stood until the weekend - and how about if you know other commitments mean you just cant get to it at weekend, do you leave it another week accumulating even more crud or do you get rid of what you can whilst you can ?

To be clear - in no way am I suggesting a foam and jet wash is as good as a proper job :like: But IMHO it's defo better than nothing ... (and an excellent step to incorporate prior to bucket washing).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Greg: I hear what you're saying and agree that pre-washing can't remove everything but IMHO, getting as much of the dirt off before you touch the car with a mit, is a good thing.

Grettman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 Mustang GT PP1
I am in 100% agreement with that for a car that is your pride n joy, but the lines get a lot more blurry on daily / winter drivers and when time becomes a constraint.

I would much rather give the car a good jet wash to rid it of salt / grit etc when it needs it than just leave it stood until the weekend - and how about if you know other commitments mean you just cant get to it at weekend, do you leave it another week accumulating even more crud or do you get rid of what you can whilst you can ?

To be clear - in no way am I suggesting a foam and jet wash is as good as a proper job :like: But IMHO it's defo better than nothing ... (and an excellent step to incorporate prior to bucket washing).

To avoid the dreaded water spots, you still need to dry the car thus this requires (unless you use an air blower) you to touch the car. Further, if the jet wash/foam cannon doesn't get off all the dirt, which it won't, then you are drying a car that is still dirty. Am I correct? (Honest question..I am new to this!)

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That would be true if you went straight to drying and if you didn't have one of those filter things on your water :like:

I forget that I am particularly lucky in that our home water supply doesn't spot or leave any limescale residue etc. Out of interest our water comes from Thirlmere in the lake district :

1614600145952.png

The water is known for being very good and also why our area was commonly used for manufacturing lead acid batteries (when we still did that kind of thing in the UK) - we had three large battery manufactures nearby with the grounds of the one I worked at actually having the Thirlmere pipeline running through it.

Back on cars ... lol. The only residue I get from water is from airborne stuff that lands on it before it dries and that's only an issue on high pollen / windy days.

To answer your question directly - I wouldn't 'touch' dry a car that had been washed with a foam / jet wash only :like:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..then you are drying a car that is still dirty. Am I correct?
Mark: No, that's not correct and I guess I wasn't clear. I use foam about seventy-five percent of the time (on the Shelby.) On the other vehicles, probably twenty-five percent. But whether the vehicle gets foamed or not, it still gets a gentle, two bucket wash with an MF mit.

Drying...

Based on member recommendations, I picked up a Metro Vac blower/dryer a couple months ago. I like it BUT, you can't get all the water without leaving spots. And, despite having an excellent water treatment system at the house to include a carbon tank and softener tank plus pre and post filters with extremely soft water, I still get "run marks."

So, I've moved part of the way back to drying towels in that I carry one on my shoulder while using the blower and I use the MF towel to get those last bits of water. This seems to be the best of both worlds and there is no way the MF towels are marking the clear.
Sponsored