Sponsored

How many tune revisions did you need after supercharging?

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Some of you may remember that I had some growing pains after my VMP GEN2R install. Not sure what was wrong but they suspected a vacuum leak in the beginning. Even though it seemed tight I decided to remove my JLT 125MM CAI and Reinstall. After that the logs looked much better according to VMP.

Since then I have had 4 more tune revisions. Car runs good but the hot start has always been off. Sometimes it will cough and stumble just a bit at hot start up and other times it’s perfect. Sometimes cold starts are weird too. With my 9th revision yesterday the cold start issue seems better but now the idle is probably 900. I feel like they just raised the idle on the last revision. Doesn’t seem like a proper fix to me.
The idle still moves around a little bit when coming to a stop light but since it’s idling higher it has “ smoothed “ it a bit.

Also when occasionally accelerating at a steady pace but not WOT the car seems to hit a plateau in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range. I am not bad mouthing VMP at all. They seem like a great company and they are very responsive. They seem to be an elite in the Mustang world. Why is it taking so long to get my car right? My setup is pretty mild and they do this all day. I was thinking 1 or 2 revisions would have this thing exactly where it needs to be.
Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
When I first got a tune after my supercharger installation the initial datalogging of 3 or 4 revisions to get it right was it. After that, it was all good. If I changed some performance mods I of course needed to datalog again a couple times, but that was all.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had 9-10 revisions to the Procharger tune that came with my kit and never got rid of surging or hot start problem. Then 4 revisions with a local tuner on his dyno. Fixed the surging but had heard his coyote tunes were not all that great so went with PBD and am probably on revision 9-10 with them and it runs great but has the hot start problem as well as not being able to pass emission testing, course none of them could get that to work. Thinking about wasting some money on Lund to see if they can make the car legal even though they said they can’t guarantee it.

Fury550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Edelbrock 2650 kit here , E85 , return style fuel system ect , tuned by Lund. 2 revisions after base tune and good to go.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Dakota at Lund did about 4 revisions on the e85 tune.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
On this car, five. Tried three different ones from JDM Engineering, with different troubles on each one, all minor. #4 was from VMP and had some different issues. Gave the VMP tune file to JDM to get data on the injectors. On try #4 they got it.

Was kind of disappointing. JDM sold me tunes for two Tetminators with Whipple upgrade. Both were first turn of the key perfect. Back when you had to turn a key.....lol

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Mustang tuning legend Lidio Lacobelli did my E85 Whipple tune (dyno tuned), it is absolutely perfect and ZERO revisions. 10psi of boost and running 9.73 ET.

NotQuik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Recently installed a Whipple and i'm working with Rob from PBD currently. So far we are on the first revision. Driving characteristics are the same as when it was stock and WOT logs look to be right where they should be. Seems to have been a much more simple process than I was anticipating as I expected to be going through several tune revisions by this point.

OP
OP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did another log last night. The tuner said today he was confused on one log because the fueling will look good and then I’ll send another and it’s off again.
He said for my 10th revision he is turning the adaptive fueling off so it doesn’t make changes he doesn’t want it to make.

Is this pretty common In the aftermarket force inducted world? I want it to run right but still want it as efficient as possible if I’m just cruising at 70 on the hwy.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
I did another log last night. The tuner said today he was confused on one log because the fueling will look good and then I’ll send another and it’s off again.
He said for my 10th revision he is turning the adaptive fueling off so it doesn’t make changes he doesn’t want it to make.

Is this pretty common In the aftermarket force inducted world? I want it to run right but still want it as efficient as possible if I’m just cruising at 70 on the hwy.
Wowser. STFT's and LTFT's must be off the charts. Seems like he's chasing them around between flashes and logs.

Something is more amiss. Trust your tuner for another flash or two. You can always ask to have another VMP rep jump in.

Sponsored
OP
OP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wowser. STFT's and LTFT's must be off the charts. Seems like he's chasing them around between flashes and logs.

Something is more amiss. Trust your tuner for another flash or two. You can always ask to have another VMP rep jump in.

Im not sure how to read the logs, but when I’m doing them they don’t seem far off. For example one might read 1.04 and the other 1.05 as far as fuel trims. Can’t remember if I got those numbers from the ST or LT.

On my 8th revision I drove the car about 175 miles before sending new logs. He kept saying things were getting better with the 7th and 8th log and they were. Car overall runs well. I’m just looking for a consistent stock like start up if it’s possible.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
OP, sorry I didn't read your post as carefully as I should have. I bought this car with a VMP Gen2 2.3 system already on it, which seems to be what you have. Apparently VMP tuned my car for the PO. That tune, and tune #4 from VMP both had driveability issues: delayed 1-2 shifts, sometimes hung up in neutral between gears, surging at light part throttle to name 3. Not sure I'd let them do another tune. I'm not trying to win dyno awards. The car is my DD and it needs to have good street manners. It's doing ok so far, but this is my first modded car with electric throttle. I'm kinda disappointed on that score.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Some of you may remember that I had some growing pains after my VMP GEN2R install. Not sure what was wrong but they suspected a vacuum leak in the beginning. Even though it seemed tight I decided to remove my JLT 125MM CAI and Reinstall. After that the logs looked much better according to VMP.

Since then I have had 4 more tune revisions. Car runs good but the hot start has always been off. Sometimes it will cough and stumble just a bit at hot start up and other times it’s perfect. Sometimes cold starts are weird too. With my 9th revision yesterday the cold start issue seems better but now the idle is probably 900. I feel like they just raised the idle on the last revision. Doesn’t seem like a proper fix to me.
The idle still moves around a little bit when coming to a stop light but since it’s idling higher it has “ smoothed “ it a bit.

Also when occasionally accelerating at a steady pace but not WOT the car seems to hit a plateau in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range. I am not bad mouthing VMP at all. They seem like a great company and they are very responsive. They seem to be an elite in the Mustang world. Why is it taking so long to get my car right? My setup is pretty mild and they do this all day. I was thinking 1 or 2 revisions would have this thing exactly where it needs to be.
Zero, zip, zilch, nada. Car runs, idles, gets down and everything between perfectly with the Kenne Bell canned tune on shitty AZ 91 octane. It drives better than stock, and still puts down good power @ 10 psi and behaves perfectly on a 120 degree AZ day. Is there power that could be had with a more aggressive tune? Absolutely. But that’s the difference when a company tunes hundreds of parameters for drivability versus a few for gaudy numbers. Leaning things out and adding timing just doesn’t work like it used to. #NoToonsForMe

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Well then, looks like zero chance has the right tune.:thumbsup:
Sponsored