Sponsored

How many people have gotten letters from angry neighbors over their exhaust?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I keep getting letters asking me to not walk in front of my windows, with the blinds up, and no clothes on ...

I know deep down, people actually like it.

LMAO....:cwl:

In a sense this thread is kind of funny for this very simple reason:

WTF is the difference having a modified exhaust in a Condo/Apt/Townhome Community vs having the same in a regular neighborhood?

NONE.

I mean some subdivisions with houses have them built so close together you can pee in your neighbors window....

The noise level is the same and it’s the same time of morning.

So the discussion of saying the OP should have chosen a better living location really doesn’t make sense UNLESS he moves to the hills... and even then, the Cows, Buffalo, Deer, Bears and Bison might complain huh? :giggle:
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I should clarify that the letters are coming from the condo Corp by way of whoever in the complex is complaining. First couple letters were from them and last one is from a law firm. So I’m basically up against it right now.
If your municipality has no ordinance on exhaust modifications or db levels then your neighbors have no leg to stand on.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If your municipality has no ordinance on exhaust modifications or db levels then your neighbors have no leg to stand on.
The problem is if there is a HOA where he lives and there are bylaws concerning what he can or cannot do, ie: exterior or landscape, noise issues with neighbors, etc., its all up to the home owners association on what the next step is. Obviously some action has been taken since he received a notice from the attorney. If the complaints are big enough the HOA could take him to court for violation since he had to accept the HOA when he purchased the home.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The problem is if there is a HOA where he lives and there are bylaws concerning what he can or cannot do, ie: exterior or landscape, noise issues with neighbors, etc., its all up to the home owners association on what the next step is. Obviously some action has been taken since he received a notice from the attorney. If the complaints are big enough the HOA could take him to court for violation since he had to accept the HOA when he purchased the home.
Yes but ambiguity in a contract is never good for the entity that drafted the contract. So unless it's specific I don't know how much of a leg they will have to stand on

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes but ambiguity in a contract is never good for the entity that drafted the contract. So unless it's specific I don't know how much of a leg they will have to stand on

Exactly. This is what I was saying also in my first reply; if within the written HOA Bylaws that the OP may have signed when taking ownership of his Condo, if there’s no reference to what type of vehicle one can own and no ref to acceptable or non-acceptable vehicle sound levels (exhaust), they’re wasting Attorney time and money.

The Bylaws would have to specifically lay down the exact statement in order for them to have any justification. If it’s not in the Bylaws, the OP isn’t doing anything wrong per the Bylaws.

Now if they can say he’s breaking a Provincial or State law, then sure he might have to decide how to rectify the problem to avoid any potential fines or possible eviction (if and only if they can evict on such grounds).

Sounds to me like someone complained to Mgmnt, and Mgmnt went to their Board had a letter drafted to scare the OP. If I were the OP, I’d get a copy of the Bylaws and read all of the fine print and look for anything that references NOISE violations. If nothing is there specific to vehicle operation (starting and driving a car or truck to/from the Condo or Condo parking lot), send them a letter back reminding them that he’s well within the legality of the Bylaws.

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. This is what I was saying also in my first reply; if within the written HOA Bylaws that the OP may have signed when taking ownership of his Condo, if there’s no reference to what type of vehicle one can own and no ref to acceptable or non-acceptable vehicle sound levels (exhaust), they’re wasting Attorney time and money.

The Bylaws would have to specifically lay down the exact statement in order for them to have any justification. If it’s not in the Bylaws, the OP isn’t doing anything wrong per the Bylaws.

Now if they can say he’s breaking a Provincial or State law, then sure he might have to decide how to rectify the problem to avoid any potential fines or possible eviction (if and only if they can evict on such grounds).

Sounds to me like someone complained to Mgmnt, and Mgmnt went to their Board had a letter drafted to scare the OP. If I were the OP, I’d get a copy of the Bylaws and read all of the fine print and look for anything that references NOISE violations. If nothing is there specific to vehicle operation (starting and driving a car or truck to/from the Condo or Condo parking lot), send them a letter back reminding them that he’s well within the legality of the Bylaws.
OP may or may not win this way but is he leasing or buying? Management will have right to decline renewing lease. Just add some resonators or Tru X to quiet down the muffler deletes.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
All of the 2018 and 19's I believe have the ability to add-on the active exhaust feature if you did not purchase it initially. you may want to consider doing that.... I don't know how it interacts with all of the after market exhausts... but if it can quiet the car down to acceptable level. then you have the best of both worlds as Sammie Hagar used to sing...

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
hey all, so I’m trying to decide how to go about remedying the situation I’m in currently with my car. Have a 2019 GT, first thing I did was install an x pipe when I got and loved how it woke the car up. I’ve since added a MBRP axle back to it and it finally sounds the way I feel it should be from factory. I mean the car is really angry on cold starts overnight for the first minute but it calms down.

Problem is I live in a condo complex with many other residents. I’ve gotten a couple letters in regards to the loud exhaust and have since got one from a law firm.

Question I have for all of you, have you experienced anything like this and how did you remedy? I really only have a couple options....

1. Sell the MBRP axle back and put stock back on.

2. Find another axle back that has mufflers to replace

3. Try to add some sort of muffler/resonator into the axle back system

Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!
No angry letters yet, but I hope to! Steeda Resonator delete H pipe.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

I’m waiting for copies of the condo rules/regulations as it wasn’t noted anywhere on my lease agreement. To answer Gameover’s post, my girlfriend and I rent the condo and my landlord is in my corner after he spoke to condo board and lawyer. I also reached out to the city bylaw officers that are tasked with escalation of these situations but haven’t heard anything back yet. Asked if I could take my car to them and have them measure db’s Etc.....obviously while warm lol

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I live in a condo and I'm lucky to have cool neighbors. They love the sound of my Mustang and actually stop what they are doing when they are outside to listen. One lady came up to me and said "I absolutely love your car. It's sounds awesome". Stock active exhaust. I never use quiet mode except late at night.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I live in a condo and I'm lucky to have cool neighbors. They love the sound of my Mustang and actually stop what they are doing when they are outside to listen. One lady came up to me and said "I absolutely love your car. It's sounds awesome". Stock active exhaust. I never use quiet mode except late at night.
You lucked out my friend haha I have a few neighbors that love it and obviously some that don’t. There are other loud vehicles in my complex as well. Straight piped Infiniti G35/37, couple pickups with aftermarket exhausts so I’m not sure why I’m getting singled out but I’ll deal.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
I was going to get civilly sued by my neighbors who had a petition with 10 signatures and no dates when signed :cwl: . their lawyer sent me a letter and the investigator called me and said he can't legally do anything to me since i'm not committing a crime. but i switched my exhaust anyways cuz it was super loud

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I start mine in the garage with the door closed and wait a minute until it slows down a bit then back it out slowly and drive off slowly. When I get home I open the garage and use momentum to get up the driveway and coast into the garage. Neighbors tell me they have no clue when I leave or come home, feel bad for folks who have to leave it outside or live in associations, not fun.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I was asked by one neighbor if/when I'll be making mine louder. He wants to hear it lol

Scott.lester1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT premium, oxford white, performance package level 1, 401a
personally for me the people in my community have tormented me and my friends for 10 years, screamed, yelled, called the cops/security for nothing and I just got my GT with the active exhaust and its loud stock but, I am planning to do an x-pipe and I asked the security guard if they have any rules on loud exhausts and he said no but, when I get up early I turn the exhaust off cuz my actual neighbors are nice but when I get a little down the street to the mean neighbors I am sure to let that thing rip and its my way of legal retribution lmao. One solution for you would be jerry rig some active exhaust mufflers to where its j a switch to activate the butterfly valve and that should help or as a last result throw it in neutral and push it a little down the street.
Sponsored