Sponsored

How many people have gotten letters from angry neighbors over their exhaust?

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
hey all, so I’m trying to decide how to go about remedying the situation I’m in currently with my car. Have a 2019 GT, first thing I did was install an x pipe when I got and loved how it woke the car up. I’ve since added a MBRP axle back to it and it finally sounds the way I feel it should be from factory. I mean the car is really angry on cold starts overnight for the first minute but it calms down.

Problem is I live in a condo complex with many other residents. I’ve gotten a couple letters in regards to the loud exhaust and have since got one from a law firm.

Question I have for all of you, have you experienced anything like this and how did you remedy? I really only have a couple options....

1. Sell the MBRP axle back and put stock back on.

2. Find another axle back that has mufflers to replace

3. Try to add some sort of muffler/resonator into the axle back system

Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW 335i, 2016 VW Golf R
hey all, so I’m trying to decide how to go about remedying the situation I’m in currently with my car. Have a 2019 GT, first thing I did was install an x pipe when I got and loved how it woke the car up. I’ve since added a MBRP axle back to it and it finally sounds the way I feel it should be from factory. I mean the car is really angry on cold starts overnight for the first minute but it calms down.

Problem is I live in a condo complex with many other residents. I’ve gotten a couple letters in regards to the loud exhaust and have since got one from a law firm.

Question I have for all of you, have you experienced anything like this and how did you remedy? I really only have a couple options....

1. Sell the MBRP axle back and put stock back on.

2. Find another axle back that has mufflers to replace

3. Try to add some sort of muffler/resonator into the axle back system

Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

Your neighbors wrote you letters?? Lmao, how pathetic. I'd offer to change the exhaust if they paid for it, or if the community paid to move me to a unit that's more private/discreet so others won't hear the exhaust. If the complex hasn't said anything, I'm not sure what the residents think they can do.

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Your neighbors wrote you letters?? Lmao, how pathetic. I'd offer to change the exhaust if they paid for it, or if the community paid to move me to a unit that's more private/discreet so others won't hear the exhaust. If the complex hasn't said anything, I'm not sure what the residents think they can do.
I should clarify that the letters are coming from the condo Corp by way of whoever in the complex is complaining. First couple letters were from them and last one is from a law firm. So I’m basically up against it right now.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I feel you, especially if you are doing your best to be respectful. Unlike my neighbor with his furious 160hp Honda that is header only and at 4 am loves to bounce it off the limiter because fire balls.. 5 nights a week wake up to it.. Ive never said anything, but the one next to him has and why i think he does it. I think since you have a 2018+ a easy solution would get a active exhaust solution. You can buy the harness for it pretty cheap in the thread on how to install it and turn it on through forscan. I am lucky i work form home so my catless LTH xpipe and magnaflow doesnt start up that early, but when my fiance drives it sometimes and goes to work at 5am she starts it with the garage closed for the few seconds of the cold start.

Unfortunately in your situation you are going to have to fix it or face eviction. id be surprised now though even if you went back stock if the ass thats reporting you stops

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
i feel like I’ve been very considerate. I changed my work schedule so I don’t leave before 9am anymore. I had to be on the road at 5am one morning so I put my car in neutral and pushed it out to the road before I started it. All things they never see lol

That’s the first I’ve heard of adding active exhaust that way. I’ll have to do some more research on that.

Chances are good they will still complain even if I put the factory axle back back on but at least it would pass a visual inspection that way.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Figure out what they are trying to get you to do. They most likely have a specific provision of what excessive sound means. I would just go talk to the manager of the condo and see what is up.

Evicting someone is a very hard process that can go very sideways for them. You could always play the game and start complaining about all cars that are cranked. Almost every car will emit low frequency sound on startup.They might not even want to mess with it if you started turning it around on them.

I always go find out what the deal is before I do anything.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know Canadian law but I would think the lawyers are an intimidation tactic. They are trying to get you to do something they want without actually discussing it with you. Though it isnt up to lawyers to decide what is right and wrong.

I'd learn what you city ordinacies allow and what the language is in your contract. I doubt someone's opinion on what is loud goes very far. There has to be something measurable. Now if you are revving and being a nuisance, then I would say stop. But that doesnt seem to be the case by what you have said. And I would do this regardless of whether you wish to change your exhaust. You may end up in the same situation later when someone gets a hair up their butt about something you did.

I would tell your management team what you have done to mitigate the issue and for them to provide a measurable decibel level that is in the contract if you really like what you have. They may take you to court but the judges have rules they have to follow. Just because someone is annoyed doesnt mean they have a case. Worse case scenario, you end up doing what you are already discussing. Best case scenario the judge rules in your favor and you dont have to worry anymore.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I agree. I would look into exactly what the law is as far as noise. Sure you could go the active exhaust route. It would cost you though. The whole thing sounds kind of ridiculous.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
If you're daily-driving your Mustang in Ontario, your cold starts for a good portion of the year are likely going to be horrendously loud with that setup. In a condo complex and the parking is relatively close like many of them, every person is going to hear you roar up at whatever time you leave in the morning. Not everybody has a 9-to-5 where they're up at the same time as you every day. And depending on the complex, if it's a large or multiple large buildings, that sound is going to reverberate back and forth.

I mean, look, we all love our cars and love the noise. I have an H pipe with the active exhaust so it's not that bad with the quiet-start option, and I'm in a house where the subdivisions are around 2+acres, so there's plenty of space between us. But in your situation, you probably should have thought about where you were first before going super-loud. It's one thing to maybe not be in actual violation of any city ordinances, or even those within your condo/HOA complex. It's a whole other to be consistently pissing off your neighbors 5 days a week, because they're obviously past that point.

Please don't let this seem like me coming off as an ass here, but if these people have already taken it this far, what's to stop them from doing something to your car (insert Canadians are nice joke here)? And if it's enough people, nobody is going to turn them in even if they see it. It seems to me that discretion is the better part of valor here. If it was your house and your own land/property/parking, I'd say damn the man and fight it. Here, I'd find out if there's something specific you did or are doing you can change, otherwise, you're probably better off doing some work on the car.

I've seen a few of these ideas, but some folks have made some aftermarket active-exhaust kludges because of very similar situations to yours. There was another thread with a different design but I couldn't find it. Somebody else might know.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/quiet-cold-starts.68962/page-3
Even just finding a way to ghetto cap the inside exhaust tips and force the air out of the outside tips (literally what quiet mode does) would go a long way.

And there's always the active-exhaust option. That's going to be quite a chunk of change though.

Sponsored

5had0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP M6
I’ve had a similar setup and it was only loud on cold starts. It’s not bad at all after.

Another good option to throw in.
1. Get a tune, most tune files disable the 1+ min long cold start (you can save your stock tune for when/if you need to take it back in to the dealers service). That should decrease the length of time the car is being loud.

2. Get aggressive with the neighbors. It seems you’re considerate. This was my concern as well before I had headers installed. Cold start is only 20 ish seconds now.

Leaving the house it’s quieter as I pull away then before I had them in. That’s all in your foot. I could be a jerk and throttle as I leave.

If they need to start wasting money on the attorneys with scare tactics. Play strategy I say :) it’s a game of attrition. The property management will end up telling that specific neighbor to can it.

As stated find out exactly what the problem is. Chances are there’s a decibel reading they have on paper that’s considered “too loud”. If they don’t they’ll have to pay the attorneys to amend their paperwork.

If so, have them put time into getting the reading (let them get the recording after it’s warm of course). If it even goes that far.

Might even want to let them know you don’t appreciate harassment if you comply with that. Once they realize this is going to cost them, they’ll change their tune.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I havent, I have cutouts and stock mufflers though and close them if I am starting it up before like 11 am. I love having cutouts.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
When I was younger, in my early 20's. I had a lopey 2005 Mustang GT. It had a nice big old cams, built motor, long tube headers, 3 inch custom x-pipe, flow masters (rusted out on the inside), all the nice little bolt ones, under drive, pulleys, intake, everything you could possibly do to the 2005 GT was done to it with a 200 shot of nitrous. This thing was loud. I lived about 1/2 to 3/4's of a mile away from my work. On clear quiet morning my buddy would call me when he heard me fire up the car to prove he could hear it from the jail we worked at. (this was about 5:40 AM) I have had complaints from neighbors (who bought and built houses close to mine) I woke up sleeping babies, I woke up parents, I woke up everyone. They was pissed. Except for this one Vietnam Veteran we had. He lived about 3 houses down from me. He walked over one morning when I was off. I got up probably about 9 AM. I was getting ready to go into town, he stopped me. I thought this was it. His PTSD was going to act up and he was going to till me right here. He said "That's a loud car you got there. Reminds me of my 69 Mach 1 I had bought when I came home from the war". We went for a ride. He had a blast. The complaints stopped. The Veteran Smiled. Everyone on the block quit sending hate mail. That's my story about loud exhaust.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Its not nice when someone has a loud ass car and you gotta hear it and feel it vibrate every F'n time it fires up.
Be considerate and get a quieter exhaust. Simple. Or move the F out.
Sponsored