Sponsored

How many of you need to have traction control off for it to not engage in second? (MT82)

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I have an Edelbrock 2650 TVS stage 2 and custom tune. The car is very powerful down low rpm. the traction control will at around 6000rpm second gear (MT82 )engage which then basically as a fail safe if traction control is on the mustang ford setting for traction control kicks in and closes the throttle body to prevent the car from losing control and essentially “protect” the driver. Now with that being said some tuners will work around and make the power conservative so there’s very little wheel spin down low in low gears so this will not engage. This is why the whipple, Edelbrock, Roush tunes direct from them feel so sluggish down low. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue With their blowers and a custom tune in a manual or auto. Although I feel like the manual would be affected more. After second gear it’s usually not an issue as third gear really is the “boost gear”. So basically when my tuner got involved because I really was wondering what was going on he basically said we can revise the tune and make it more conservative in lower gear rpm’s or you can just flick the first step to traction control off when you wanna go WOT in a low gear. Obviously this is the better option and what I feel most people do. Who wants to go conservative? So wondering what your experiences are?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Is your car a pp1? My tc kicks in about 6k in second on a hard pull but doesn't kill power enough to notice. I'd have no idea it's intervening if I didn't see the light flashing. I think non pp cars kick in harder than pp cars. (I could be wrong on this though)

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
I typically turn both traction control and advance trac off every time I drive the car. It’s much more predictable IMO. I have learned to respect it and we get along fine :).

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your car a pp1? My tc kicks in about 6k in second on a hard pull but doesn't kill power enough to notice. I'd have no idea it's intervening if I didn't see the light flashing. I think non pp cars kick in harder than pp cars. (I could be wrong on this though)
Yes it is a pp1. But I honestly don’t think that makes any difference at all. TC systems in the trims and models do not differ and how you explained it is how it happens. The way it was explained to me is the TC is always functioning even slightly with advancetrac off unless you completely unplug it from under the hood. The same way they do when they dyno the car causing you dash to light up like a Christmas tree. But in its most basic function the second it notices any wheel spin as a fail safe even wheel spin so slight you might not notice due to torque as a way to protect the driver and car it does not tell you by flashing a light it just closes and restricts the throttlebody, for me around 6200rpm to restrict air and power thereby slowing the car down and essentially allowing the driver to be able to control the car more. It was very weird because I never had the issue prior or at least didn’t notice is a better way to put it before boost. Now that I am boosted I instantly noticed it. So now I know TC off. At least at its most basic setting.

Last edited:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Just hold that traction control switch up for the 8-10 seconds whenever you start the car until it says advance trac off. This will solve your problem.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just disconnect the plug near the airbox and drive it with your hands and feet.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Yes it is a pp1. But I honestly don’t think that makes any difference at all. TC systems in the trims and models do not differ and how you explained it is how it happens. The way it was explained to me is the TC is always functioning even slightly with advancetrac off unless you completely unplug it from under the hood. The same way they do when they dyno the car causing you dash to light up like a Christmas tree. But in its most basic function the second it notices any wheel spin as a fail safe even wheel spin so slight you might not notice due to torque as a way to protect the driver and car it does not tell you by flashing a light it just closes and restricts the throttlebody, for me around 6200rpm to restrict air and power thereby slowing the car down and essentially allowing the driver to be able to control the car more. It was very weird because I never had the issue prior or at least didn’t notice is a better way to put it before boost. Now that I am boosted I instantly noticed it. So now I know TC off. At least at its most basic setting.
Your tc must kick in way harder than mine. If I dump the clutch with it on it will kill power or slide a corner same thing. But I can hammer it through the gears and it never stops pulling hard. Only intervenes enough to limit wheel spin. Sounds like your best bet is to turn it off on pulls.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just hold that traction control switch up for the 8-10 seconds whenever you start the car until it says advance trac off. This will solve your problem.
I’m aware. Personally I think the cars unnecessarily hard to drive with advancetrac off. You really just need to flick off tc first step to get a hook on a roll.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Sounds like you need better tires, I never go for spirited drives with advancedtrac on. I don't think there is a point to turn off advancetrac then tc, once advancedtrac is off the wheels will spin whenever I want for however long I want

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you need better tires, I never go for spirited drives with advancedtrac on. I don't think there is a point to turn off advancetrac then tc, once advancedtrac is off the wheels will spin whenever I want for however long I want
I agree.
Sponsored