Sponsored

How many of you cut open your oil filter?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I do after every oil change. Mostly for peace of mind and to see what's in there. 31000 miles and it's still cleaner than clean. Not a spec of anything.
Sponsored

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I always cut my filters open and inspect (unless it is a cartridge type ).

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I did once but it was an amsoil filter with pretty thick metal and I was using tin snips, took me like 20 mins to get it cut open then the filter media was wrapped with wire mesh so I couldnt really flatten it out . Didnt see much in there and I havent done it again. I was curious if ceratec was getting caught in it and there were no signs of that.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I just send mine off for a UOA, my previous cars I sent a sample off every 5K and changed at either 10k or 15k. I just hit 9k miles on this and was changed at 1k and 6k. So 11k I’ll send a sample off and see what they say. Plan on changing it at 15k and then every 10-15k after..... if I keep it that long. I haven’t had a car that’s hit 30k in 14 years. Working from home changed everything about commuting so no miles really.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I just send mine off for a UOA, my previous cars I sent a sample off every 5K and changed at either 10k or 15k. I just hit 9k miles on this and was changed at 1k and 6k. So 11k I’ll send a sample off and see what they say. Plan on changing it at 15k and then every 10-15k after..... if I keep it that long. I haven’t had a car that’s hit 30k in 14 years. Working from home changed everything about commuting so no miles really.
Too high of an oil change interval in my opinion, especially if you drive hard. My oil life indicates 0% after about 4k miles how I drive. Also I have to add about 1 quart every 2k miles. Also if you only do short trips and dont get the oil hot enough often enough to burn off condensation etc it can degrade after time and hardly any miles.

Last edited:

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Also if you only do short trips and dont get the oil hot enough often enough to burn off condensation etc it can degrade after time and hardly any miles.
Even with Semi-synthetic and synthetic? How long is that because I leave my oil in for about a year, I don't drive it that much though.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Yeah, synth doesn't degrade. Of course now I've riled up all the armchair oil analysis experts....
That's what I thought. Haha I hope not.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, synth doesn't degrade.
Well, the additives do, and those are the ones that neutralize acids, and fun stuff like that. Ha ha. And also remember the great majority of 'full synthetic' oils are actually group-III, which has a petroleum-based base stock, so not 100% synthetic at all. Welcome to US marketing :D.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I would only do this if I'm either breaking the engine in or suspect that I may have an issue going on.

What you're looking for is silver in the oil - glitter that speaks of possible damage to the rod or cam bearings. If you've ever lost oil pressure, or have an issue with the oil journaling system where the top or bottom end have been unpredictably starved of oil then you may want to do this as a diagnostic step that lets you know what your next steps might be. So that's why it's done on a new engine (especially pushrod engines with or without flat tappet cams) or an older one where you may suspect increasing wear is going on.

I use this one by the way:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/805...MI1MqJ-PDK6wIVxJJbCh1cDg7ZEAQYAyABEgJrMfD_BwE
Sponsored