Sponsored

How many of us have the base 4” unit?

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I've always had the thought process of buy a barely used car and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
My thoughts exactly. I bought my with 2k miles for 20k less than what the original purchaser invested.
Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Yep me too.

Bigger screen looks nice and all but not a huge issue for me. I use waze and listen to my music through my phone so not really missing out on anything. If the car couldn't connect through Bluetooth then it would be an issue for me. Music blasting and hearing "police reported ahead" through waze is where it's at :)
Waze is integrated with carplay on the larger screen.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Waze is integrated with carplay on the larger screen.
I'm sure it is, I'm good with my iPhone though :)

I like small gadgets and big engines more.

OP
OP
Redraven571

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Does that $20k Corolla have a 460hp V8? One of the reasons you can still get into a Mustang for under $40k Is because of downgrades like the base radio system.

Once again we are having the “why don’t our cars come with this standard” vs. “why do our cars cost so much” conversation. Why?
That's the thing, there's no 'right' answer. Obviously, folks who are interested in a car like a Mustang aren't going to consider a Corolla because it has a nice radio screen. And some Mustang owners are all about tricking out the appearance and others are about trying to get every last horse possible out of the engine, different priorities.

Also, if every base vehicle came with every upgrade possible, many people wouldn't be able to afford it at all because the 'base' Mustang would cost $60K vs $35K.

I think what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be some level of equipment that used to be upgrades that are now standard equipment. An example would be HID headlights, they used to be a hefty upgrade/update but are now standard equipment on a lot of cars (including Mustangs). That was what I meant by, in 2021, it is crazy that, on a $35K Mustang that the base radio has this tiny little screen; seems like the 8" should be the standard by now. (although between the 2, I love having the brighter headlights).

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I think what I'm trying to say is that there seems to be some level of equipment that used to be upgrades that are now standard equipment. An example would be HID headlights, they used to be a hefty upgrade/update but are now standard equipment on a lot of cars (including Mustangs). That was what I meant by, in 2021, it is crazy that, on a $35K Mustang that the base radio has this tiny little screen; seems like the 8" should be the standard by now.
I hear you and actually do not disagree. But remember the 2021 Mustang is essentially a 2015 car. The interior never changed and was never planned too. Now if the S650 has the 4" screen I think a lot of people are going to be pissed.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Opted for the 301A Mid level because I wanted the drive modes and larger screen. I like the premium features but didn't want leather. 301A had pretty much everything I wanted, and was a nice step up over a 300A base car. Not a fan of the digital dash either. I like them, but analog is way more reliable.

My 4 requirements for my GT were:
Kona Blue.
A10
3.55LS
301A.
Mine also came with the black package and Active exhaust.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced the Shaker 500 in my 06 GT a few years ago with a Pioneer head unit. I wanted Apple Play and couldn't find a good way to connect my iphone to the Shaker. I really like the way it filled out the area.
When I ordered the GT/CS, I wanted the same look as the 06 so I went with 400A package.

06 dash.jpg

06 Pioneer.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just didn't care. My '17 GTI had a nice large touch screen with all the features, and I used them maybe a few times? Plus touch screens get disgusting with fingerprints which is infuriating. The base screen has bluetooth which is all that's needed.

OP
OP
Redraven571

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Because the after-market unit (Moddiction) I had took a dump, I decided to go back to the base unit (4" screen) and see how I feel. TBH, at this point, the only reason I miss the bigger screen is for the back up camera, other than that, as most folks point out, the base unit has all the functionality I need.

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Because the after-market unit (Moddiction) I had took a dump, I decided to go back to the base unit (4" screen) and see how I feel. TBH, at this point, the only reason I miss the bigger screen is for the back up camera, other than that, as most folks point out, the base unit has all the functionality I need.
I wanted the big screen because i like the way it fills the space.....just my opinion

scooter550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang in Comp Orange
When I bought my 2016 V6, there was NO radio option.
Two things I would've bought, IF available- Better radio and a Sunroof.
FORD needs to pull their head out of their ass and give the Mustang a TARGA ROOF.
They should strive to LEAD not Follow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
When I bought my 2016 V6, there was NO radio option.
Two things I would've bought, IF available- Better radio and a Sunroof.
FORD needs to pull their head out of their ass and give the Mustang a TARGA ROOF.
They should strive to LEAD not Follow.
Unfortunately by 2016 the V6 was relegated to rental car status. It was/is a great motor but Turbo I4's are replacing the V6's across every brand.

Since the basic body structure of the S650 is not changing I doubt we will see any changes to the roof. Hopefully for the S750. I'd love to see a moonroof of Targa style.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
When I bought mine new, that is how it was equipped. I really don't mind it other than I wish it had the bigger screen simply for the backup camera.

My phone can do everything else that I would need (GPS, Waze, Google, etc...).

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

I do, but I bought a factory 8" unit from a 2019 Mustang and Tom at Hextall got me a Nav APIM. I install it this week. I got a 4" because in April/May 2020 there were no new Mustang GTs with PP and 6MT that had the 8" screen at all the dealers near me in a color I can deal with. Dealers at that time were really frowning on dealer trades.
Sponsored