Sponsored

How many MY18s in the UK?

Alexb83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 S550 Mustang
@SteveS - I haven't had the car for long. I can see the appeal in modifying it, but at the same time I think the 2017 doesn't actually need any changes.
It's a snarly, lumpy torque monster and it looks great. You can make it more snarly, more torquey and change (improve?) the looks but I don't know if I will bother.
Yes, put some different tyres on it to make it more rain-proof. Definitely fix 'problems' as they arise, but never having sat on 700hp do I really need to throw on a supercharger?

I might wait until the warranty lapses and then hand it to Bill Shepherd or similar to Shelbyfy it, but more likely I will keep the car stock, and in a few years hand it over to her indoors to be 'hers' and take a look at something like the Alfa.

I have a slightly askew view of cars, though - for me they are just toys. I work at sea, so I don't commute. I haven't owned a car in years and get most of my spannering kicks out of tinkering with an old air cooled bike.
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
@SteveS - I haven't had the car for long. I can see the appeal in modifying it, but at the same time I think the 2017 doesn't actually need any changes.
It's a snarly, lumpy torque monster and it looks great. You can make it more snarly, more torquey and change (improve?) the looks but I don't know if I will bother.
Yes, put some different tyres on it to make it more rain-proof. Definitely fix 'problems' as they arise, but never having sat on 700hp do I really need to throw on a supercharger?

I might wait until the warranty lapses and then hand it to Bill Shepherd or similar to Shelbyfy it, but more likely I will keep the car stock, and in a few years hand it over to her indoors to be 'hers' and take a look at something like the Alfa.

I have a slightly askew view of cars, though - for me they are just toys. I work at sea, so I don't commute. I haven't owned a car in years and get most of my spannering kicks out of tinkering with an old air cooled bike.
I guess then as you like the 17 as it comes (and I agree its a great car stock) that Ford haven't added 10k of value for you either. I bought my exhaust before I had the car and i'm possibly one of the few who may not have bothered - at least so quickly - had I heard my car first. Desirable as it is I don't believe it to be essential.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
this is what i've been saying about the 18/19's for ages and it really gets peoples heckles up I think because they just don't seem to understand the concept. Yes the mustang is a bargain when it was sub 40k hell even low 40's. But once they started pushing to 50k fully specced up they're no longer a bargain they once were and the new kit doesn't justify the price increase not by a long shot.
Ford brought it on themselves by trying to add gadgets to the mustang to make it compete with the euro boxes and they even changed the styling to make it more of a match, they then bumped the price. The problem is they didn't improve their QA or customer service at all with the bump now you're paying nearly 50k for something that bottom line simply isn't worth it, anyone saying it is is fooling themselves.
The enthusiasts that wanted one for years all bought 15-17's the facelift is now competing on open market as there's few people that will be upgrading so soon it'll be another 12 months before standard upgrade cycles kick in. And on an open market to non-enthusiasts ie: person off the street the mustang cannot justify its price especially now it looks and feels more euro than ever. People will pay more for something different but its not different any.
Anyone buying the facelift has more money to waste than sense. I know I won't be buying another mustang (with the exception of the gt500 if it comes over) as for the amount of money ford wants there's better options available even gibbo found this out when he was looking.
I think you're being a bit harsh. Would i sell my 15 for an 18, no. Would I have bought the 18 Mustang for ÂŁ45k if the 15 hadn't come out, yes, if only for the exhaust modes and extra bhp. Im not interested in the GT500, only the GT350.
I agree though, Ford should stop adding useless gimmicks as it just puts the price up and if i wanted to spend a lot of money on useless gimmicks id buy an Audi!

Last edited:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I think you're being a bit harsh. Would i sell my 15 for an 18, no. Would I have bought the 18 Mustang for ÂŁ45k if the 15 hadn't come out, yes, if only for the exhaust modes and extra bhp. Im not interested in the GT500, only the GT350.
I agree though, Ford should stop adding unless gimmicks as it just puts the price up and if i wanted to spend a lot of money on useless gimmicks id buy an Audi!
from my point of view i most certainly am not being harsh i wouldn't even have given the mustang a second glance at 40+ and thats in the good front end version the current state not a chance the car simply isn't worth it no matter how many times people say its still a bargain its not there's too many compromises on it once it breaks 40k that it simply isn't worth it.

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
I bought a 16 convertible, it was under ÂŁ40k. A current car would be just over ÂŁ50k. It would have better shocks, and thats it really. I was getting bothered about the car out of warranty as they are not without their issues (not that i have had any so far). I realises the only car i could replace it with would be another Mustang. So i decided the easiest thing to do is nothing. I keep a better looking car, with slightly less sophisticated suspension. And all the money i would have spent on changing it will pay for any repair 10 times over. If the cars were now low 40s it might be a different situation. I dont think they are expensive at their current price, but the are certainly not the bargain the early cars were.

Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The my18 is what it is,infact early 15 cars had price increases almost from the start.I paid 45k for my18 which i was ok with.Some might not like it or the price,but we all own mustangs.I don't get what all the debate is about,enjoy your 15-17
And i will enjoy my18

OP
OP
Avdb

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
^agreed. The only anoying thing for me of going over 40k is the higher road tax (I am already 540/year for my Jeep)

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Nice to see things ain't changed much in the 3 months since I was last on here. Hinch still hates the 18 and goes on incessantly whilst others join in.
I clicked.on the thread thinking there may be some useful info on 2018 sales but no, just the usual.crap.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Nice to see things ain't changed much in the 3 months since I was last on here. Hinch still hates the 18 and goes on incessantly whilst others join in.
I clicked.on the thread thinking there may be some useful info on 2018 sales but no, just the usual.crap.
i don't hate the 18 at all i think ford made a load of really really retarded decisions and everyone who's bought the 18+ so far does nothing but repeat the same line "its worth the 10k extra" its not it never has been its not even close. if the 18 shed 5-10k off the price tag it'd be well worth it again even with the shitty front end but right now its not and all you have to do is look at the yank sales figures to see its not selling even close to the 15-17 i'm sure once we start getting figures out over here it'll be pathetic sales which wouldn't surprise me if ford pull it from the uk for the next gen as there's "no sales" which would ofc be dumb of ford because those that generation skip ie: all the 15-17 purchasers who will look to upgrade next gen not this gen facelift, but lets face it the guy is charge is a moron.

You can even see it in the forum there's 5-6? of you bought 18's simple as that nobody else is upgrading and we're not seeing a sudden influx of new registrants excited that they just bought a mustang.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
i don't hate the 18 at all i think ford made a load of really really retarded decisions and everyone who's bought the 18+ so far does nothing but repeat the same line "its worth the 10k extra" its not it never has been its not even close. if the 18 shed 5-10k off the price tag it'd be well worth it again even with the shitty front end but right now its not and all you have to do is look at the yank sales figures to see its not selling even close to the 15-17 i'm sure once we start getting figures out over here it'll be pathetic sales which wouldn't surprise me if ford pull it from the uk for the next gen as there's "no sales" which would ofc be dumb of ford because those that generation skip ie: all the 15-17 purchasers who will look to upgrade next gen not this gen facelift, but lets face it the guy is charge is a moron.

You can even see it in the forum there's 5-6? of you bought 18's simple as that nobody else is upgrading and we're not seeing a sudden influx of new registrants excited that they just bought a mustang.
Well you certainly don’t like the 18’s that’s for sure :cwl:
The trouble is this is only your opinion and like arseholes everyone has one :cwl:
The reason why 18’s have not sold well is that they never existed in the U.K. because Ford was still trying to offload 100’s of 17’s which dealers had on the forecourt and some still do
If you do the maths then Ford has put enough goodies on the car to make the car worth the extra, obviously if you don’t want all the extra Ford put on it then you are always going to say it’s not worth the money
Let take the exhaust that would cost you more than ÂŁ2,000 to fit on a 17
Digital dash, people are fitting these for around ÂŁ1,500 I think on a 17
Front lights with tri bars working, what did this cost people to fit to a 17, ÂŁ750?
Even the hood vent cost people to fit on a 17
Then there’s more power on a 18 than a 17,
Magneride, vastly superior than a 17 so well worth the money, again people are dropping ÂŁ1,500 to improve the suspension on a 17
Recaros, not even a option on 17’s, god know what they would cost from Recaro but £1,600
Automatic gearbox, night and day difference between a 17 and 18, have no idea what that worth but I would say a fair chunk of change that’s for sure
But in my opinion it’s still cheap compared to the competition, but the 18 is never going to be a steal like the 15-17, unless Ford dump 100’s on the market again

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
"If you do the maths then Ford has put enough goodies on the car to make the car worth the extra, obviously if you don’t want all the extra Ford put on it then you are always going to say it’s not worth the money"

I see from the configurator that the base price for a MY19 is ÂŁ41745. What was the last base price for a MY17, prior to reductions, promotions etc?

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
"If you do the maths then Ford has put enough goodies on the car to make the car worth the extra, obviously if you don’t want all the extra Ford put on it then you are always going to say it’s not worth the money"

I see from the configurator that the base price for a MY19 is ÂŁ41745. What was the last base price for a MY17, prior to reductions, promotions etc?
ÂŁ38300 for the GT in red I think and it was ÂŁ34995 in May 16

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I think we all need to clam down.

The 18/19 Mustang is a very unique and special car for the money and apart from the M2 (which you don't get the V8 noise or styling) there's nothing else that will compare for ÂŁ45k. I do still prefer the 15 front but the 18 does look better than the original photos/videos that were shown. I just think Ford need to remember that people buy a Mustang for performance, not for tech gimmicks - there's plenty of choice with other manufacturers if gimmicks is your thing.
I'm envious though of the 18 owners with the active exhaust, extra bhp, four pipe exhausts and Recaro seats. Not to mention they don't have to put up with Pirelli P Zero tyres!
The 15 and 18 Mustangs are ultimately much cooler than the usual crap found clogging our roads! So I say 15/18 Mustang whatever, good choice - just make sure it's a stick shift! ;)

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Because the 15-17 is a great looking car
And so is the 18. But that's just my opinion.

As for people not buying an 18 I think it's down to most enthusiasts already owning a 15-17 and the fact that Ford didn't advertise them as they had so many of the pre facelift models left.
Sponsored