Sponsored

How many MY18s in the UK?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
A red GT is about £41,000 on the road. That's with all the great new stuff included. I'd pay the extra just for the fantastic self levelling LED headlights alone. And to mention the active exhaust would just be rubbing it in!
if you have to keep telling yourself that its worth it in every post then its more than likely not worth it and you know it, just repeating it may make you believe it at some point.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
if you have to keep telling yourself that its worth it in every post then its more than likely not worth it and you know it, just repeating it may make you believe it at some point.
What Hinch said! ....shame about the front end though ... he he!:giggle::giggle:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Sure, the MY18/19 are more expensive, but this is hardly surprising considering the collapse of the pound since the referendum and the shambles that has followed. .
The pound to the dollar before the referendum was around 1.45 and Jan to April this year was around 1.42 so don't think that explains it. Anyway, leaving politics out of it, the difference in price is obviously for the extra kit you get in the 18 albeit with a dropey front end. For my though, the same spec would cost me about another 6/7k plus id be paying a lot more than £140 a year road tax, not sure the upgrades are worth it.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The discount and 0% was perfect targeting... to sell the over-ordered MY17's Ford had in stock. Sure, the MY18/19 are more expensive, but this is hardly surprising considering the collapse of the pound since the referendum and the shambles that has followed. The BMW 650i is hardly a competitor for the Mustang GT. Nearest European competitor is probably the Audi RS5 which starts at nearly £62k plus options. The Mustang is still great value for money, particularly with the many improvements in the new MY18.
Agreed the base spec my18 is still good value. But for those people looking at fully loaded spec cars at almost £50k it would be very hard to pass over a £51k bmw m6 at 1 yr old from a dealer with 5800 miles on it.... as on auto trader today...failing that, rock up at your local Merc dealer with £49k and drive off in a year old c63 in any body style you like..as you rightly point out Audi do a rs5 which are readily available for £53k if you want one registered in 2017. Don’t mind flaky quality issues ? How about an Alfa Giulia Qf for 46k? I suspect the my19s will sell more in base spec than in fully loaded auto , digital dash, mag ride spec for this very reason. No real new or nearly new competition at 39k whereas lots of serious 1 yr old alternatives at 50k from the next league or two up. Whatever. It’s a good time to be in the market with 45-50k burning a hole in your pocket!

Last edited:

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Worth remembering that not everyone looking at a Mustang GT can afford to step up to the next level of year old AMG/BMWs so where the original GT made V8 ownership a possibility, by pricing into the mid-£40k bracket Ford are moving the Mustang into territory it was never meant to be in. The standard spec is certainly fairly impressive now but in an ideal world you would be able to leave out what you didn't want to keep the price down; obv not possible in reality.
Could I move up to a MY18/19, sure, but would I want to or would I have bought if this was the original price point, probably not. I was looking at S197s in 2014 anyway.

As a side note, having spent the last three weeks looking at MY18 rentals I can now honestly say I don't think the front looks better in the metal :wink:

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
What if I DON'T have to tell myself that in every post? Does that mean it's great value? You can't have it both ways.

I'm slightly tired of people comparing new for old prices in these debates too. Wait until the 2018 GT is a year old then compare THAT price to a year-old M4, or whatever.

If someone wants a new Mustang GT that you don't have to mod to death to achieve what you want in terms of driving feel and noise then a 2018/2019 is worth it. If it wasn't worth it to that individual, they would have bought something else. Seems simple to me.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hard & perhaps unfair to compare on costs really... the MY18+ has additional features over the MY15's so it was always going to be dearer. Still good value though IMO, but will never beat the bargain ~£34k price tag from 2015. Although let's face it - if those fancy safety features were in fact optional, I doubt very many of us would choose them!

Re a 50k car. That's well out of my budget for now, however if I had no car right now & that in my pocket. I'd obviously choose the Mustang. Second choice? Quite like the Mustang, maybe in a different colour. Or failing that, I'd probably go with a Mustang #facts :rockon:

PaulSlide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue GT
Hard & perhaps unfair to compare on costs really... the MY18+ has additional features over the MY15's so it was always going to be dearer. Still good value though IMO, but will never beat the bargain ~£34k price tag from 2015. Although let's face it - if those fancy safety features were in fact optional, I doubt very many of us would choose them!

Re a 50k car. That's well out of my budget for now, however if I had no car right now & that in my pocket. I'd obviously choose the Mustang. Second choice? Quite like the Mustang, maybe in a different colour. Or failing that, I'd probably go with a Mustang #facts :rockon:
I think that sums it up for most people that find themselves this forum :clap:

Alexb83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 S550 Mustang
I went into the dealers prepared to order a specced up 2018 and wait the long wait for it to arrive.
I walked out with a specced up 2017 with 0% on the balance outstanding, and I don't regret it - there really wasn't that much in it for me in terms of added features for the extra money/wait.

Whether it's a 2017 or 18 I still think the car is excellent value for money in pretty much every respect.
The only one of the suggested alternatives that I could be tempted by would be the Alfa - I know I can get that with a flat 15% off retail thanks to employee benefits - which puts it at about £51k. That's a big old price difference.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
@hinch you're right - for even money, it'd be a much harder decision to make.
this is what i've been saying about the 18/19's for ages and it really gets peoples heckles up I think because they just don't seem to understand the concept. Yes the mustang is a bargain when it was sub 40k hell even low 40's. But once they started pushing to 50k fully specced up they're no longer a bargain they once were and the new kit doesn't justify the price increase not by a long shot.
Ford brought it on themselves by trying to add gadgets to the mustang to make it compete with the euro boxes and they even changed the styling to make it more of a match, they then bumped the price. The problem is they didn't improve their QA or customer service at all with the bump now you're paying nearly 50k for something that bottom line simply isn't worth it, anyone saying it is is fooling themselves.
The enthusiasts that wanted one for years all bought 15-17's the facelift is now competing on open market as there's few people that will be upgrading so soon it'll be another 12 months before standard upgrade cycles kick in. And on an open market to non-enthusiasts ie: person off the street the mustang cannot justify its price especially now it looks and feels more euro than ever. People will pay more for something different but its not different any.
Anyone buying the facelift has more money to waste than sense. I know I won't be buying another mustang (with the exception of the gt500 if it comes over) as for the amount of money ford wants there's better options available even gibbo found this out when he was looking.

Alexb83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 S550 Mustang
@hinch - I don't envy Ford the market position they have found (placed) themselves in. They're already making the markup on $'s compared to £'s and they were still selling extremely well. Perhaps their success is making them greedy.

They were selling what is frankly a bargain sports/touring car that occupied a niche in the market. Amazing engine and brilliant styling for the money. So far as I can see, pretty good quality for the money.

BMW and Merc still sit a good £20k+ clear for a well-specced equivalent. At list price, the Alfa sits a good £25k clear. They offer at least a perceived increase in quality that people will pay for. If they narrow the price band too much, there isn't really as much to differentiate the Ford from the rest.

Aside of course for, still, the styling, the pony and the attraction of an NA V8. The question is, has Ford added £10k of value to their offering?

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
The question is, has Ford added £10k of value to their offering?
Not for me. Another aspect is that the enthusiasts - the owners you really want to keep onside - tend to like to mod their cars so supplying a car ready to roll out of the box at a premium price isn't really what we want.
Sponsored