Sponsored

how many miles untill new coyote loosens up

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
i was wondering if anyone noticed about what mileage there new coyote started to wake up and start feeling a bit more free revving .I hate waiting fro break in milage to be over ..i been just driving it normal as if i always owned it not pounding on it but if i need to get on it a bit a will ..
Sponsored

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I'm at 1250 miles and am starting to get into the rev range and it still feels tight so no rush

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
i was wondering if anyone noticed about what mileage there new coyote started to wake up and start feeling a bit more free revving .I hate waiting fro break in milage to be over ..i been just driving it normal as if i always owned it not pounding on it but if i need to get on it a bit a will ..
I've had a 12, 15, and now 18. All "felt like" revving to the redline long before I was willing to do so (old guy). I don't think modern engines actually "wake up". They are born wide awake. :D After 1K miles I frequently rev them to the red line and in autocross hit the rev limiter . . . even with the 10 speed if I guess wrong on where to manually upshift (the car gets through 1st and 2nd gear in the 10 speed really quickly :D ).

If you have the 10 speed my suggestion is that once YOU are comfortable with whatever initial break-in you've done is put the shifter in D and simply start applying more throttle so the trans shifts at higher rpm.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Fairly easy 21-236 miles. 237-500 stretching her legs. 500 plus tuned. No fear. :):

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Plenty of manufacturers say to stick to that break in period for performance reasons. Some even sell engines that have been factory broken in.

There must be a reason?

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, I thought the break in period was 1000 miles. Is that not the case with the 2018's?

Thanks

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I have been building and racing engines for about 20 years. The only engines that ever came apart early were ones that had something wrong with them or poorly tuned. Most were revved to redline within the first 50-200 miles. My 15 was which had no issues at 10k miles when I traded it in and my current 18 with 7k miles so far, both have been driven hard from day 1. Not red lined at every light or anything but driven hard when the mood or need arised. I say, you do you Scotty P. NO RAGRETS!

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Wait, I thought the break in period was 1000 miles. Is that not the case with the 2018's?

Thanks
The manual states the break in for 2018's is 1000 miles. It also says not to stay in one gear for too long for the manual owners. Also if I remember correctly it said something along the lines of "attempt to keep the engine rpm's below 4,000 until after the break in period."

My car is at 1500 and I beat on it often now.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Maybe its just the nature of the car...mine feels tight in all ways at 21k. I do rev high, it seems to be a little hesitant to respond sometimes and any variation in throttle is immediate. via revs and auto tranny.

I think a normal break in is around 1000 miles, and vary the RPM' s, don't hold them in one spot. this allows the pressures in the cylinders and on the rings to vary for normal seating and even wear.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I rolled into the throttle and did long pulls up to 6k rpm and rolled back down to break mine in along with just normal driving. The clutch needs more of a break in than the engine does for manual cars. Once I got 1k miles I've been driving it like I stole it ever since. Factory clutch lasted unti 20k which isn't to bad considering all the 5k rpm launches on slicks that it had. Currentl at 22k, engine runs smooth and quiet with no oil consumption.
Sponsored

Last edited: