Sponsored

How many miles can you put on a Mustang V8 before it starts falling apart?

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Just curious, since the Mach 1/Mustang GT have naturally aspirated engines if maintained properly, how long can one drive it before it starts giving them endless trouble? In my head I always think that when a car reaches 80-100KMS that's when it's going to start falling apart (correct me if I'm wrong)
Sponsored

W0rkH0rse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2017 Explorer Platinum
My thoughts are the mechanical parts of the engine should be fine if you keep up with the maintenance. There may be some replacement for normal wear and tear, overall pretty reliable. The electronics are the wildcard to me. Not sure how long these computers will work. I ah e a 1915 Model T. The engine is in great shape. Take the for what it’s worth. I see fox bodies during Dream Cruise that are original parts. I would be interested in hearing from experts, though. I’m just a guy waiting on his first Mustang.

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Depends on how you use it and your definition of falling apart.
you know when you start fixing one thing after the other... fix the AC...transmission goes back...fix transmission,,,electronics go bad...fix that...suspension goes bad...and soo on until it becomes more expensive to maintain than sell it and just get a new one.

would love to hear the average mileage of people here before they sell their car approximately.

ChemEng44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Mach 1 HP, 2021 F-Pace SVR
you know when you start fixing one thing after the other... fix the AC...transmission goes back...fix transmission,,,electronics go bad...fix that...suspension goes bad...and soo on until it becomes more expensive to maintain than sell it and just get a new one.

would love to hear the average mileage of people here before they sell their car approximately.
I have had 6 mustangs in the past, 3 were daily drivers, 2 I ran up to 180k+ miles with only wear and tear maintenance, the other daily was a 2003 DSGM Mach 1 I sold at 160k miles and the most expensive single repair was a water pump. There are a ton of variables to consider, but my personal experience has been fantastic with mustangs. Also worth noting, If I buy a car used and not ordered I tend to get them right outside factory warranty expiration with low mileage and maintenance records.

OP
OP
superspartan

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I have had 6 mustangs in the past, 3 were daily drivers, 2 I ran up to 180k+ miles with only wear and tear maintenance, the other daily was a 2003 DSGM Mach 1 I sold at 160k miles and the most expensive single repair was a water pump. There are a ton of variables to consider, but my personal experience has been fantastic with mustangs. Also worth noting, If I buy a car used and not ordered I tend to get them right outside factory warranty expiration with low mileage and maintenance records.
wow! that's amazing! Thanks

Sponsored

Tawse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2022 GB GT/CS
I had a 2007 GO GT and when I sold it in 2020, it had a little over 220k on it. At 200k I had a valve job done and at that time, I replaced my brakes.. for the first time. Not because they had to be, but because I was nervous and had purchased ceramics and wanted to install them. Other than that, filters and normal recommended PMs at their time.

I think as others have said, a lot of if is up to how it's driven.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I think the Coyote motor is pretty robust unless neglected or abused. Things like starters, alternators, AC compressors, fuel and water pumps all have life spans and I would expect replacing in the 8-10 year or 100-120K mark. Wild cards for me are the electric power steering, Direct Injection pump and the Digital Gauge pack.

My last worry is about the engine.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I put 255,000 miles on a '89 5.0 fox body that was burning a little oil (not bad), and still running strong when I traded it. I drove it like I stole it every day, but maintained it always. I see no reason the coyote shouldn't do the same or better.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
For me, this will be an interesting exercise in love and attention. I had an 86 Honda Prelude Special Edition that went 390,000km (which is 242,000ish miles) and it was still going strong. I've owned my Mustang for about 9 months and already have 11k km on it.

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
Just look on the road my friend, tons of Mustangs from every generation still cruising the highways. This is a good sign.

Sponsored

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
I have no doubt that my car will outlive me.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
(correct me if I'm wrong)
You're wrong...for the most part.

The Mustang engines have been very stout since the days of the Foxbody and certainly with the introduction of the modular family of engines. With proper maintenance and care, it's not unheard of to have them run for hundreds of thousands of miles. There's nothing about the engine that just magically disintegrates at 80k.

Now of course there are weak points in every engine, and being a relatively cheap performance car you're going to have instances of jackasses destroying an otherwise perfectly fine engine. But in general they can be as reliable as any other high performance engine.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I had a 2014 GT with 130K miles when I sold it. Car ran beautiful burned 1 quart every 10K miles. It was tight and just like new, if you take care of them they go forever.

Before I had a 2007 3V GT that I had a little over 100K miles and that car ran amazing as well.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
In my head I always think that when a car reaches 80-100KMS that's when it's going to start falling apart
been driving late-model BMW, have you? Where cheap-shit plastic stuff starts breaking and you have to drop the whole damn engine to change a part out?

You're now in the warm, nurturing hands of American engineering.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the Coyote motor is pretty robust unless neglected or abused. Things like starters, alternators, AC compressors, fuel and water pumps all have life spans and I would expect replacing in the 8-10 year or 100-120K mark. Wild cards for me are the electric power steering, Direct Injection pump and the Digital Gauge pack.

My last worry is about the engine.
Electric power steering rack has a rubber belt that will need replacing at some point.
Sponsored