Sponsored

How many miles can you get street driving cup 2's?

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Not sure if there's different compounds between the Shelby's and the PP2's. I got 3200 miles on my PP2 rears with very easy street driving, I was trying to make the set last 1 year before swapping them out. I've heard stories of ppl getting 12-15K miles so that's what I was expecting. I picked up a huge bolt in my left rear, at that time the outside groove was completely gone. My fronts were fine...I sold the pair to a guy who tracks his Corvette.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
3200 miles on the rear with no hard driving, no burnouts. But I have to make several right and left turns at intersections to leave my neighborhood and I can always feel the inside tire spinning.

20210318_164342.jpg
20210318_164352.jpg

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Not sure if there's different compounds between the Shelby's and the PP2's. I got 3200 miles on my PP2 rears with very easy street driving, I was trying to make the set last 1 year before swapping them out. I've heard stories of ppl getting 12-15K miles so that's what I was expecting. I picked up a huge bolt in my left rear, at that time the outside groove was completely gone. My fronts were fine...I sold the pair to a guy who tracks his Corvette.
PP2 uses the GT350Rā€™s front tires 305/30/19 on all four corners. So relevant because that is GT350R compound usage.

I also own a 2019 GT PP2

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
The outside shoulder of the tire is meant/designed to wear away, so your tires still had life most likely (but your indicator markers seem to be reachedā€”although I hesitate in making that assumption because Iā€™m looking at a picture).

This great article by Billy Johnson mentions this wearing of the shoulder in the link below. GT500s supposedly have tread indicator holes which would be extremely valuable as a way to tell if a tire is still good.

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/

And Johnson is the Ford test driver on the 350, 500, Ford GT, PP2, Mach 1, and others so itā€™s literally hearing from the horses mouth.

Last edited:

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
The outside shoulder of the tire is meant/designed to wear away, so your tires still had life most likely.
Ah. That part I did not know. I was surprised when I saw the outer part gone but I was just going to keep driving it like normal and keep an eye on it. But that giant bolt I picked up put a kink in my plans. None of the tires places here would patch it bc of the remaining tread depth but the hole itself was kinda large too.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Ah. That part I did not know. I was surprised when I saw the outer part gone but I was just going to keep driving it like normal and keep an eye on it. But that giant bolt I picked up put a kink in my plans. None of the tires places here would patch it bc of the remaining tread depth but the hole itself was kinda large too.
yah these tires almost require being an expert on it because some shops will immediately assume that they are very worn when they are not. So reading that link and using it as evidence is almost required when you run into tire installers or tire shops who are ignorant of it.

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
yah these tires almost require being an expert on it because some shops will immediately assume that they are very worn when they are not. So reading that link and using it as evidence is almost required when you run into tire installers or tire shops who are ignorant of it.
That's a good article...long...I'm still reading lol!

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
I took my car in for an oil change a few months ago with only 400-500 miles on my sc2's and the older gentleman up front argued with me that they were worn down and needed replacement.

"I'm not a tire expert but I've been working on cars for many many years. Those tires are worn".

I just smiled ha.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I took my car in for an oil change a few months ago with only 400-500 miles on my sc2's and the older gentleman up front argued with me that they were worn down and needed replacement.

"I'm not a tire expert but I've been working on cars for many many years. Those tires are worn".

I just smiled ha.
Like I said, "The ignorance is strong" out there.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars

I just smiled ha.
Yah we've all been there. At Les Schwab, the manager who is the only person I let touch my wheels came to me when getting a nail pulled from the PP2. He was at first saying, "we can't work on it because they are so worn." I had to quote that article to show that the tires are made of three different compounds (outside shoulder, center, and inside shoulder), and the outside features are meant to disappear and wear away. It's only based on the indicators which are inboard that can tell us if the tire is worn. Once I showed him that, and then when I showed how the indicators were not reached, he then decided to pull the nail on the tire. I really wish we had those thread holes as that would be the best way to stop this from happening. But I assume it is too much for Ford to get Michelin to go back and add that to the tire mold, so the best bet to avoid having to prematurely replace tires, is to be armed with information to prove that they are still in good condition when questioned.

Sponsored

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
4500 miles on the first set, with one track day. I might have gone another 1,000 miles before hitting the wear bars on the rears. Fronts were done. Replaced with PS4S on a square setup.
Amazed by the people getting 10K+ miles on a set.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I got around 7400 miles out of mine. No burn outs or tracking. The fronts were worse than the backs. Best thing I ever did to my car was switch to a set of super sports. Smoother and quieter ride. No tram lining.

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
I got 12k miles out of my original set of Cup 2's on my PP2 with no track days and a little spirted driving. Normal driving was about 75% highway 25% city. Cords were showing on the inside edge of the fronts when I replaced them. I'm on my second set of Cup 2's now but I plan on switching to Continental Extreme Contacts when this set is done for.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I doubt I am going to get more than 3k out of my tires because I do so much autocross. LOL