2019 mustang gt

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
If you say you remember the 60's you weren't there.
Hi - I remember the ‘60s well. Each decade has left its mark on people and people have left their mark on each decade. For me it started with graduating from high school in 1960. In between we had Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy’s assasination, etc, and it ended in a cloud of smoke and a sea of mud at Woodstock in 1969.. Car wise I had new ’65 and ‘68 GTOs, drank too much beer and chased too few women. Somehow I survived but never lost my love of fast cars… Bruce

Last edited:

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't in the age group that tuned in, turned on and dropped out. But I remember it happening. I'll keep my '15 and remain sad about having to sell my '65, '72 and '83 Mustangs.

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Retired a year ago, will be 65 in a few months and received my Medicare card in the mail.......... Don't feel my age at all, don't miss the daily grind of work and NEVER FEEL OLD when doing WOT'S and attending Shows with the younger crowd, they love the stories.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Retired a year ago, will be 65 in a few months and received my Medicare card in the mail.......... Don't feel my age at all, don't miss the daily grind of work and NEVER FEEL OLD when doing WOT'S and attending Shows with the younger crowd, they love the stories.
And this all seemed so far away just a little while ago. Enjoy Randy!

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Hi - I remember the ‘60s well. Each decade has left its mark on people and people have left their mark on each decaiijde. For me it started with graduating from high school in 1960. In between we had Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy’s assasination, etc, and it ended in a cloud of smoke and a sea of mud at Woodstock in 1969.. Car wise I had new ’65 and ‘68 GTOs, drank too much beer and chased too few women. Somehow I survived but never lost my love of fast cars… Bruce
[/QUOTE
I had a 67 gto new in 67 and a used 66 in 77. I loved both those cars. My 2016 mustang v6 would out accelerate both those cars. I thought they were great when I had them but looking back today I realize they didn't stop or handle very well. But when I had them I loved them. They sounded great and they felt great to drive and they were better than most other cars on the road back then. Great memories of the GTOs.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I had a 67 gto new in 67 and a used 66 in 77. I loved both those cars. My 2016 mustang v6 would out accelerate both those cars.
I suspect the GTOs were probably lighter than the V6 S550 and probably had more WHP. And I remember one of the car mags back then beside themselves when the 427/435 'Vette did 0-60 in 6.x seconds. I can only conclude that tires sucked and/or powerbands were horrible.

Were your Goats faster from a roll than the S550 but like the 'Vette couldn't use the power until building up some speed?

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I suspect the GTOs were probably lighter than the V6 S550 and probably had more WHP. And I remember one of the car mags back then beside themselves when the 427/435 'Vette did 0-60 in 6.x seconds. I can only conclude that tires sucked and/or powerbands were horrible.

Were your Goats faster from a roll than the S550 but like the 'Vette couldn't use the power until building up some speed?

I had a 72 Charger with a worked 340 in it. Lots of fun building this car. Had the 727B 3 Speed auto, worked converter with trans rebuilt. 4.10 gears. This car would launch very well and shifted at 7000RPM. My brother has a 70 Cuda with a 383. Both cars were worked with the best we could afford. Using a strap and with a hand lift looped over the Oak tree in our yard, could pull the Engine/Trans out in about an hour. The few times we lined up, I would beat him to the 1/8 then watch him fly by gapping me by several car lengths at the quarter. Premium gas at the time was .45 cents a gallon. Now a Ford guy once again.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)

Hi - I graduated from Purdue (Indiana) so I’m familiar with Hoosier Hysteria. Is that somehow related to HoosierDaddy?

Didn’t hp calculation change after 1970, so our GTO hp isn’t directly comparable to current hp ratings? My ‘65 was rated at 335 and the ’68 at 350. The sibling ‘65 I bought in 2010 had triples and was rated at 360 hp. Of course rear axle gearing and close vs. wide ratio tranny gearing played a role in acceleration times. I never did any racing with my GTOs except for occasional street light racing. Clearly my Bullitt is faster and has a noticeable higher top end speed. I think the Bullitt has taller gearing than the regular GT and has a 3.73 real axle. I suspect a regular GT would be faster at the track as the Bullitt wasn't designed for the track… Bruce

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

I think the difference was the 6 speed auto vs the 3 speed auto. The GTO would beat the v6 top end. Yeah the tires were as bad as the brakes and handling. The v6 did 0 to 60 in 5.4 one time but would do 5.5 consistently.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Hi - With regard to comparing the hp of a ‘60s muscle car with a modern high powered car like our Mustangs, it is like the classic apples and oranges comparison. The method for measuring hp has changed and there are other factors to consider. Here is an excerpt from a Hagerty article that helps explain the difference…. Bruce
236BC1B9-5535-4498-9127-0DE6F9D09121.jpeg

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hi - With regard to comparing the hp of a ‘60s muscle car with a modern high powered car like our Mustangs, it is like the classic apples and oranges comparison. The method for measuring hp has changed and there are other factors to consider. Here is an excerpt from a Hagerty article that helps explain the difference…. Bruce
236BC1B9-5535-4498-9127-0DE6F9D09121.jpeg
The original "gross" numbers were lies, too. No way putting an air cleaner and accessories on it will cut 100hp out of it. It was just never that high to begin with. As evidenced by the day when the LS1 F-body hit the road in 1998 with "305"hp and immediately outran nearly every muscle car of the 60's and 70's. In mass production, no less.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
63 here and I’ve just ordered a GT Coupe. Cyber Orange, 10 speed Auto, Magnaride, heated and cooled seats, Sync3 with B&O. It’s a UK car so it comes standard with some but not all PP1 components ie comes with Brembo brakes, larger radiator, 19” black wheels, Active exhaust etc.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
just retired this year at 66 years old, still got GT, looking at Mach1 later.
Sponsored