GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I just turned 47. Am I a senior now?! Looking for a Gen Z'er to answer that :D
I don't think your a senior yet. If you start saying your old you'll start believing you are. I'm 72 and I'm not old. I used to sell motorcycles one week I sold 2 heavy touring bikes and 1 sport bike to 3 guys in their 80's. Those guys were in their 80's and they were definitely not old. It's all how you see yourself. You are not old. When I was 47 I was doing a lot of heavy duty scuba diving. Because I wasn't old. Hang in there and good luck to you. Start thinking positive thoughts about yourself.
Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't think your a senior yet. If you start saying your old you'll start believing you are. I'm 72 and I'm not old. I used to sell motorcycles one week I sold 2 heavy touring bikes and 1 sport bike to 3 guys in their 80's. Those guys were in their 80's and they were definitely not old. It's all how you see yourself. You are not old. When I was 47 I was doing a lot of heavy duty scuba diving. Because I wasn't old. Hang in there and good luck to you. Start thinking positive thoughts about yourself.
Curious what the 20-somethings think.... I hang out with "car meet" crews of various ages, but I'm always wondering what they really think.... fat guy in his late 40's, heh.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Cool, learned to drive on a 66 S package Barracuda-Mom's Car. Her next car was a 71 340 Duster :)

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
Last night, took the Roush out for a ride. Waiting at a stop, couple of kids pull up next to me in a Honda. Kid looks over at me, "Is it fast?" My response, "You want to find out". Brief pause, "No, don't think so". I respond, good and smart decision. Light changes green and I roll out nice and easy, he pulls a U-Turn and the unmarked in line behind him follows and pulls him over. :)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Sounds like the kid was actually trying to be nice and acted responsibly. Hope the unmarked didn't mistake the wrong person for wanting to race.

Last night, took the Roush out for a ride. Waiting at a stop, couple of kids pull up next to me in a Honda. Kid looks over at me, "Is it fast?" My response, "You want to find out". Brief pause, "No, don't think so". I respond, good and smart decision. Light changes green and I roll out nice and easy, he pulls a U-Turn and the unmarked in line behind him follows and pulls him over. :)

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the kid was actually trying to be nice and acted responsibly. Hope the unmarked didn't mistake the wrong person for wanting to race.
Perhaps, but I live by the old adage, don't play games when the Local Township Police and State Trooper barracks located just around the corner. Never had any intention of playing games :) just enjoying the ride.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Curious what the 20-somethings think.... I hang out with "car meet" crews of various ages, but I'm always wondering what they really think.... fat guy in his late 40's, heh.
When I was 21 I knew I was an alcoholic but I didn't want to do anything about till I was old like 30 yeah I'm serious I thought 30 was old when I was 21. When I was in the Navy we had an admiral in our office who was the head honcho. He told me he needed a ride somewhere but insisted on taking his car but said I should drive and he'd call me when he needed a ride back. He hands me some GM keys and smiles at me and guess which car I said the caddy no well the toronado no the only thing left was a brand new 1970 Chevy malibu SS 396 when I was driving him I had to pull on a parkway so I'm a little enlisted guy and he's an admiral so I'm not gonna beat on his car then he started yelling at me get on it and I did he smiles again and says now you got it. He used to go over to the army base and pull hole shots in front of the MP's just for shits and giggles. I think he was about 47 cause that was 50 years ago and he just passed away in December and he was 97. I thought he was a pretty cool old guy.. Now I think 90 is getting old.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
65 and over makes you a senior citizen. 4 yrs to zero hour.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
65 and over makes you a senior citizen. 4 yrs to zero hour.
Hi - Itā€™s always been debatable regarding the definition of senior citizen. AARP, in its quest for greater membership, has lowered the eligible age below most peopleā€˜s definition of a senior. It even changed the corporate name to four letters eliminating the perceived need to be a ā€retired personā€. Over a half century ago the ā€œsenior citizen discountā€œ became popular and the designated eligible age depended on whether attracting people with a discount was considered beneficial or detrimental to the bottom line. Eventually it became an accepted courtesy to our older citizenry. Since people are living longer now, if we keep the age too low we will eventually become a country with mostly senior citizens (think Japan). Most people I know say you are only as old as you feel. Right now Iā€™m recovering from COVID and Iā€™m feeling rather old. As I mentioned in an earlier posting Iā€™m 80 and when I was younger I seem to recall 65 being the most common qualifying age. Iā€™m a retired pharmacist and in my pharmacy practice we always considered age 62 to be the age eligible for a discount because that is the earliest age that most people could qualify for Social Security. Whatever age sounds right to you, donā€™t be in a big hurry to get there because you will be on the desending slope of the bell curve of lifeā€¦. Bruce

Last edited:

Sponsored

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
My father in law was 94 when he passed last year. Talk about tough. Retired Navy and utility gas worker. If I could even come close to his outlook on life it would give me years. He passed in the VA. We were not allowed to see him and say goodbye. I understand why but it was rough. A lot of life is your attitude and I'm working on it. A lot of being old is in your head. Go get your life and live it. The Mustang GT is almost home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Same here. When people at work found out I ordered a mustang convertible, they lost their minds. MID LIFE CRISIS MUCH?! Was all I heard.

And you know what? I owned it.

I said "Yes, my Mom died last year, my 2 best friends each lost a parent last year, and one of my friends is dying of stage 4 brain cancer. So I am going through an existential crisis and facing my mortality in the worst way. I have decided to enjoy the f@#K out of life as much as I can, while I still can. So enjoy your Camry this summer. I'll be cruising in my GT with the top down".

EDIT - I'm "only" 50. Ah 50 - the old age of youth and the youth of old age. :)
I am sorry for your losses. It's the grieving that is tough but sharing and addressing is required.

My father in law, sister and brother passed last year then the prostate cancer came. Hello Mustang!

Last edited:

glmarker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang premium Mach 1 FJG and 1964.5 Mustang
I'm sorry for your losses.

Both my folks are gone, wife's folks are gone, our only son passed at 50. Just the wife and I, and younger siblings and some nieces, but they are better off than we are. Gonna spend it and enjoy life, so traded my 18 GT for a Mach 1 at age 73. Wanted a Shelby, but the only one available at the time was 125K. Not that I don't have it, just couldn't see paying that much for a car.

Gary

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
Watched my dad work his entire life and then pass away several years after he retired. I promised myself I was going to enjoy life and have no regrets. One thing for sure, once born - you will die. So, I live by this; Am I a good person, good father and husband?
Sponsored