How many GTs are Owned by Seniors?

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
I have never been fussy about color. I like white. It's the ugly blue stripes I hate. I'd remove them, but I'm afraid the paint won't match. They don't go with all the black plastic trim. They came with the car and it was a good deal, so I figured I'd get used to them. But, they look cheap and tacky, like something you would use to cover your shelves in the kitchen. An all white GT would be perfectly fine with me.
Personally, I'd take them off, clay bar it, and see what you've got. If it sits outside, then, maybe there would be a difference. If you can do color correction yourself, great, if not take it to a detailer and they should be able to make it better than new. I had mine ceramic coated when I bought it, and after almost a 1400 mile road trip from Oregon, California, and Arizona the front end along with the mirrors was solid bugs. After taking it to a detailer, he just washed it and sealed it, and the paint shows no signs of rock chips, or any evidence that it was ever on the highway for 2 days at speeds in the xxx range. If you don't like the stripes, take them off now, before there really could be color mismatch...IMHO
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I dont think that a 2 year old light colored car would have a fad or discoloration that soon. after removal you may need to have a paint correction done but that should be it.
Personally, I'd take them off, clay bar it, and see what you've got. If it sits outside, then, maybe there would be a difference. If you can do color correction yourself, great, if not take it to a detailer and they should be able to make it better than new. I had mine ceramic coated when I bought it, and after almost a 1400 mile road trip from Oregon, California, and Arizona the front end along with the mirrors was solid bugs. After taking it to a detailer, he just washed it and sealed it, and the paint shows no signs of rock chips, or any evidence that it was ever on the highway for 2 days at speeds in the xxx range. If you don't like the stripes, take them off now, before there really could be color mismatch...IMHO

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I think I'm going to do it.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Kinchy,
I am very late to this post but have a question. Can you compare your Mustang GT to your E350 in terms of quietness on the highway and overall road manners? One of my vehicles is a 2014 E350 and have had several Mustangs in the past lastly 2012 GT S197. Will most likely keep the E 350 as my wife drive it mostly but it is something I can compare the 2019-2020 Mustang. May make a move in the next year and trade my 2016 Porsche to go back to a Mustang GT manual. I am 73 and do miss having the low end torque.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Kinchy,
I am very late to this post but have a question. Can you compare your Mustang GT to your E350 in terms of quietness on the highway and overall road manners? One of my vehicles is a 2014 E350 and have had several Mustangs in the past lastly 2012 GT S197. Will most likely keep the E 350 as my wife drive it mostly but it is something I can compare the 2019-2020 Mustang. May make a move in the next year and trade my 2016 Porsche to go back to a Mustang GT manual. I am 73 and do miss having the low end torque.
I have owned a number of Mercedes and BMW models and recently sold my 997.2 and bought a Mustang GT. An E350 is a better highway car. The ride is better, it is more quiet and feels like it is connected to the road better. It feels smaller, which is hard to explain. The Mustang GT has significantly better performance. But, for low end torque, you may want to move up to a 2017 991.2. I found the low end torque and general response of the GT is not as good as my 997.2 was. I am comparing PDK vs A10. I am going back to Porsche as soon as I save up another $40k.

Batch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
[Intake and tune to push it another 15+hp. Something to think about anyway.[/QUOTE[/QUO

Hi - Congrats from one geezer to another. At 78 I think I might be the oldest guy on this forum with a new Bullitt, but itā€™s an honor Iā€™m more than willing to share or relinquish. Is that an old Ford of yours in your avatar... Bruce
No, the old Fords not mine. I build Streetrods and restorations at my shop for the last 30 years. Thats just one of my favorites.

Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Bair,
I hear you about the PDK. That is the reason I would look at a manual if I moved. Could not go back to a stock Torque converter. I have a 981 GTS with PDK. My 3.4 as you know sounds great wailing but is low on Torque and geared too high. It is great if you wanted to do over 170 but Porsche kept all the 981's and now the 718 to be less potent than the 911 and one way is to gear it high. I love the mid engine and the handling is superb but you need to keep the revs up. On acceleration it will actually do better than a manual GT but not as well as the A10. Going to a 911 would get me that torque for sure especially with a S or turbo but then the cost is up there as well. My main reason for looking ahead a year is that I still have 3 years of Porsche warranty and to trade with 2 years remaining would help it move. I do not like the idea of a Porsche out of warranty so would have to get a CPO car like mine to make it worthwhile. Now mine is worth more than a new GT but not close to a 991. I do not like payments and like other toys so in a mental bind.
I do appreciate your assessment of the Mustang vs the E 350. That is about what I thought as the E is a good cruiser.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my V6 for this GT on Memorial Day. The V6 was a great daily driver but the 5.0 with the A10 is phenomenal. I'm 59.
IMG_2020-05-28_15-36-37.JPG

obisque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 S550 GT
As a senior citizen I'm curious-how many other old guys are buying Mustang GTs? When I traded in my E350 (for my 19 GT) the look on the salesman's face was priceless.
I'm wondering how much of an anomaly I might be and if not, how many other "older enthusiasts" are enjoying their GTs?
I get questions constantly at the car wash (typically from Audi and Beemer owners) "Sir is that your car? How do you like it?" Translation - why the hell is an oldtimer like you driving that?
It's simple - you're never too old to enjoy a well balanced platform that brings a smile to your face each time you press that button. The active exhaust simply enhances the experience.
W
70 years young and got a 20 gt premium. Had an 18 ecoboost and that sucked. Hated the turbo lag... now for a new set of tires.

OP
OP
kinchy

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
[Intake and tune to push it another 15+hp. Something to think about anyway.[/QUOTE[/QUO

Hi - Congrats from one geezer to another. At 78 I think I might be the oldest guy on this forum with a new Bullitt, but itā€™s an honor Iā€™m more than willing to share or relinquish. Is that an old Ford of yours in your avatar... Bruce
You may be. I thought early on I might be but the posts indicate otherwise. Enjoy that new ride!

Sponsored

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
I'll bet most of us do actually own them as well.
This is something that is a real eye opener to me. I'm only a youth (47) and am AMAZED at all the forum posts of people talking about the finance deals they are doing on cars. I would NEVER finance a car, that's just plain crazy to me. My money always has and always will go into properties, which allow me to buy toys like cars for cash. Sacrifice a little at the start of life, or struggle later is what I have noticed in my years.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
This is something that is a real eye opener to me. I'm only a youth (47) and am AMAZED at all the forum posts of people talking about the finance deals they are doing on cars. I would NEVER finance a car, that's just plain crazy to me. My money always has and always will go into properties, which allow me to buy toys like cars for cash. Sacrifice a little at the start of life, or struggle later is what I have noticed in my years.
Hi - If I may, I would politely suggest that itā€™s risky imposing oneā€™s own financial beliefs on another or passing judgment. You statement could be interpreted as being critical of those who finance their car purchases for whatever reason. Everybody has their reasons for doing what they do and we shouldnā€™t be our brotherā€™s judge. I feel fortunate to be able to pay in full for cars in my retirement, but there were many years that I had to take out car loans or use a home equity line of credit to pay for them so I try to maintain an open mind on such matters... Bruce

Last edited:

sobaylouie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
As a senior citizen I'm curious-how many other old guys are buying Mustang GTs? When I traded in my E350 (for my 19 GT) the look on the salesman's face was priceless.
I'm wondering how much of an anomaly I might be and if not, how many other "older enthusiasts" are enjoying their GTs?
I get questions constantly at the car wash (typically from Audi and Beemer owners) "Sir is that your car? How do you like it?" Translation - why the hell is an oldtimer like you driving that?
It's simple - you're never too old to enjoy a well balanced platform that brings a smile to your face each time you press that button. The active exhaust simply enhances the experience.
W
I am 79 yrs old with a 2018 GT Premium....active exhaust....10spd.....3.55 rear...ā€¦.love it everytime I drive it!

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
At 55, Iā€™m just starting my S550 collection, next is a GT350 or GT500. Now which one do I take for a spin?
12EFA06B-DE73-42F0-8385-E729E035BDC0.jpeg
Hi - Bill Ford will obviously be very happy with your loyalty to Ford Motor Company. Definitely not questioning you future car choices, but have you been there done that with other brands or just not interested in testing the waters. I only ask this because there are so many other interesting non-Ford models to partake of nowadays and it sounds like you have the means to do so. I was originally a Pontiac guy, but then eventually played the field. I do understand brand loyalty, just curious. Good luck with those future endeavors. Happy travels... Bruce
Sponsored