Sponsored

How loud are your radiator fans? Not sure mine are working anymore.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So this is probably a dumb question, but how loud are your radiator fans? Can you easily tell when they turn on if you're listening for them? I had a radiator leak and had to replace the radiator, and ever since then I noticed that my CHTs will rise faster than normal when I'm stopped. My Lund tune is set to have the fans come on at 180*, but I didn't notice them turning on. It's hard to tell when I look in as it's been dark when I've had the chance to check, and there's already air moving around in the engine bay anyway.

I'm thinking I may just need to buy new fans. It's funny how you never think about what they sounded like before something like this happens...
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i honestly dont notice mine until i pull into the garage and then i can forsure hear them running.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
i honestly dont notice mine until i pull into the garage and then i can forsure hear them running.
+1...usually don't hear them until inside my garage...plus I would think if your fans weren't working you would definitely overheat.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Since I changed my thermostat and Lund tunes suggest using a 170, not a lot. When I didn't have the thermostat, it ran like crazy.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I was standing in my front yard the other day and my wife backed the car out of the garage past me and I heard them definitely turn on and off. I could clearly hear mine. Climate control was on, warm day of about 85, AC was most likely on.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Mine is loud. I hear it kick on after the car is off and parked. I will park behind the garage and start to work on something in the garage. Next thing I know woosh, I hear it kick on. It will run for a minute or so then turn off. Again, is with the car off and parked. It is very loud on my 18.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
If you fans are not working you will overheat driving in traffic.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
On the 18’s at least there is pretty much full weather/sound stripping 360 degrees around engine bay w/ hood closed. I’m sure that helps the DI pumps sounds to a minimum. I never hear the fans in the car.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You can test it by turning on the AC, you should hear the fans kick on even with the hood closed. Mine always turns the fans on when the AC is on even if it's snowing out. Also if your fans are on past 180 like they should be, open the hood and shut the car off. The fans should take about 5 seconds to whir to a stop and you can hear that easily.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for the replies everyone! I remember hearing an odd sound from the fans when I started the car after the install, which is one reason I thought they might have failed. I replaced my fans today, but I still can't really tell. I had my wife come out and listen, and she said she thinks she can hear them click on, but I certainly don't hear anything from inside the car. When I get out, and look under the hood, it doesn't sound any different with the AC on or off to me. Perhaps there's a wiring issue? Or maybe I'm just deaf. :facepalm:

I don't drive in stop and go traffic often because the car isn't a daily driver. It has a Reische 170* thermostat, and Alex from Lund said that the fans are set to come on at 180*. I assume thats ECT, correct?

EDIT: They're coming on. I was able to shine a flashlight on them and see them come on when the AC is on. I can hear them switch on more than I could actually hear them going. Maybe I need to get my hearing checked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
LOUD
Sponsored