Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your S550?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'd keep mine as long as possible. The GDI tech worries me. I don't like carbon build up and it seems like too much compression to be safe.
Dual injected means no carbon build up. Why does it seem like too much compression to be safe? Maybe if you're adding boost it is, but for NA use it's perfectly fine.
I like to keep them as long as they remain reliable and maintenance costs don't total the car. It was tine to let the '06 go last year because she was 200k+ miles, needed the big timing chain/tensioner work done that those modular engines (4.6L, 5.4L, 5.8L) are famous for, and that cost more than the car was worth.

I know the Coyote engine is in the same family. I hope they don't exhibit the same history with the chain tensioners down the road.
Oh, I guarantee the Coyote will be the same way with needing chain tensioners at higher mileage. Especially with how we beat on them. That's just life though. I don't personally think replacing a timing set at 200K miles is something unreasonable or something you shouldn't have to do on a performance engine though. It's not particularly hard either.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Until my daughter is old enough to inherit it... She's 2 now so I have a while.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I like to keep them as long as they remain reliable and maintenance costs don't total the car. It was tine to let the '06 go last year because she was 200k+ miles, needed the big timing chain/tensioner work done that those modular engines (4.6L, 5.4L, 5.8L) are famous for, and that cost more than the car was worth.

I know the Coyote engine is in the same family. I hope they don't exhibit the same history with the chain tensioners down the road.
I don't understand the complaint about the timing chain. There are many, many, many modern cars that the timing chain/belt is a maintenance item every 100k miles or so. With all the interference engines out there ignore the timing chain/ belt maintenance at your own risk.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
2023, at a minimum. Bought her new in 2016 and have only 25k miles. Refreshing the car as we speak.

I’ll only jump ship for a substantially better car at a better value, which doesn’t exist right now.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I sold my new to me 2015 EB last September and recently ordered a MY21GT...I'm an old retired fart so this will be my last new purchase.

Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I'd keep mine as long as possible. The GDI tech worries me. I don't like carbon build up and it seems like too much compression to be safe.
mid you have a gen 3 coyote you have port injection as well, yours valves won’t see the carbon build up since they’ll have fuel washing them. If you have a 2.3 geta Catch can, it reduces the carbon build up

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
After 6 months of ownership, I really like my car. That being said, I should have it paid off by the time the S650 arrives, so we'll see if I like the new style and reevaluate.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My S550 future is unclear, and it all revolves around my ever-disappointing clutch knee....pro tip: don't hunt deer with motorcycles.

My '15 is my favorite Mustang to date (yes, above the others in my sig) but I can't always count on my knee; thankfully the Mustang is a weekend toy and not a DD. To this end I've been considering a new GT500 and was gung-ho on it until Covid and ADMs combined simultaneously to put the plan on hold. Instead, I focused on becoming debt free and did so earlier this month when I paid off my properties. Now that I've reached this milestone and had almost another year to ponder, I'm not sure the snake is worth ~$60K over what I have. Throw in Ford's horseshit QC, even more so. We'll see, I was going to wait for a '22 anyway. If the knee shits the bed this summer, all bets are off. But now there are other non-Mustang contenders on the short list.....

Still, I feel that the S550 is my favorite Mustang design yet, and I'm not sure it can be improved upon.....

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That is a tough question. I bought the Mustang with the intention of keeping it for only a year or two. Having a car with a warranty would be a nice break from the expensive used German cars I usually buy. But, over the last year or so, I have come to the realization that I don't drive as well as I used to drive. I am much more comfortable driving slower and taking it easy. I'm 77, my driving days are numbered, at least with respect to being able to utilize or enjoy a high performance car.

So, I suspect my Mustang could be my last car. When I do decide to sell, somebody is going to get a car with real low mileage. I only drive about 1500 miles a year.

Sponsored

Gimmeabeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Don't plan on getting rid of it. Hell I still have my 88 GTA that I drove in high school. When EV's start to completely take over I'll buy the highest optioned mustang I can reasonably afford & park it right next to the 88 GTA & 02 WS6

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Purchased Oct 2020 with 14k miles. Plan is 2025-ish, once the new model has been out a year or two and I can see what I want with what is offered. I only do 7k miles a year or so, so I may just keep it as opposed to trading in. But the plan is Mustang #2 in 2025.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Until my hips and knees force me to sell it. So maybe kep it....

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Dual injected means no carbon build up. Why does it seem like too much compression to be safe? Maybe if you're adding boost it is, but for NA use it's perfectly fine.

Oh, I guarantee the Coyote will be the same way with needing chain tensioners at higher mileage. Especially with how we beat on them. That's just life though. I don't personally think replacing a timing set at 200K miles is something unreasonable or something you shouldn't have to do on a performance engine though. It's not particularly hard either.
We don't know if dual injection will fix the problem. I don't want to test this with my bank account. The higher the compression, the more wear and tear.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
mid you have a gen 3 coyote you have port injection as well, yours valves won’t see the carbon build up since they’ll have fuel washing them. If you have a 2.3 geta Catch can, it reduces the carbon build up
I am gen 2
Sponsored