Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your S550?

mrthumper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Holden VX SS Toyota VDJ79 R1200RT R1200GS
Purchased mine new in 2017. I am 68 now, it will be my last car I like it but have other vehicles and motorcycles as well and do few miles in it.
I expect it will outlast me!
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I never get rid of anything unless it turns into a lemony POS. Thus, if this car keeps going with the average expected maintenance needs over time, then I'll keep it as long as I can. For reference, I have a '99 Durango with the ol' 318 Magnum with 200k miles on the clock. Could it be replaced? Sure. Does it NEED to be replaced? Not yet. Once the engine finally goes, I'll have to think about it for a bit. Since it's been such a good old girl for so long I might actually put a built 408 in it and make a sleeper. Or more likely, I'll replace it with a newer vehicle.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Just curious - how long do some of you think you will keep your S550?

Be honest.

Myself - probably until 2024, then maybe upgrade - but not 100% sure yet. Always looking to see what’s out there.

On the other hand, my 94 Cobra is the longest owned Mustang (it will be 17 years in March).
I retired to Florida from the NYC area a couple years ago. I had been a European car guy, having owned Porsches and BMWs. My Florida retirement "downsizing" was to pick up, at a very decent price, a high-mileage, in-and-out-pristine, 2016 GT Premium Convertible.

I quoted "downsizing" because it was not long before that car seduced like a mistress into lavishing it with tens of thousands of dollars in modifications.

I now have something of great value to myself that I would not have gotten if I had bought a new model, and to have started out on my project with a new model would have meant an additional $30K. On the downside, I lost the broad salability of a stock car, and the prospect of having to wait for the right buyer to recoup a reasonable amount of my investment.

I also made this investment understanding the current depreciation risk to any purchase of an internal combustion engine vehicle, especially one that is a gas guzzler. We do seem to be getting very close to the inflection point between the worlds of the gasoline engine and electric motor, and our national energy policy does seem to be shifting toward ones that will have us living with higher gasoline prices.

Financial practicality and love will have me with this car to my end

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I retired to Florida from the NYC area a couple years ago. I had been a European car guy, having owned Porsches and BMWs. My Florida retirement "downsizing" was to pick up, at a very decent price, a high-mileage, in-and-out-pristine, 2016 GT Premium Convertible.

I quoted "downsizing" because it was not long before that car seduced like a mistress into lavishing it with tens of thousands of dollars in modifications.

I now have something of great value to myself that I would not have gotten if I had bought a new model, and to have started out on my project with a new model would have meant an additional $30K. On the downside, I lost the broad salability of a stock car, and the prospect of having to wait for the right buyer to recoup a reasonable amount of my investment.

I also made this investment understanding the current depreciation risk to any purchase of an internal combustion engine vehicle, especially one that is a gas guzzler. We do seem to be getting very close to the inflection point between the worlds of the gasoline engine and electric motor, and our national energy policy does seem to be shifting toward ones that will have us living with higher gasoline prices.

Financial practicality and love will have me with this car to my end
Gas guzzler? How can you say that? I love getting 27-28 mpg on road trips and enjoying the drive at the same time! Can't say that for a Prius and even the myth of electrics and hybrids just hides the truth about where the electricity comes from -- most of it is still from fossil fuels. But I digress. Glad you're enjoying the Florida environment in Mustang style!

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Gas guzzler? How can you say that? I love getting 27-28 mpg on road trips and enjoying the drive at the same time! Can't say that for a Prius and even the myth of electrics and hybrids just hides the truth about where the electricity comes from -- most of it is still from fossil fuels. But I digress. Glad you're enjoying the Florida environment in Mustang style!
I have been seeing more in the line of 25-26 mpg at 70 MPH on fairly level grading, but I have a roots supercharger which are known to significantly reduce mileage.

I don't know that the many problems with fulfilling the high demand for electricity that will come from a rapid transition to EV technology is detering our policy makers.

Good luck with your Mach I !!!! ...and watch out for those Virginia speed traps

Sponsored

Grabber Lime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Till Im dead then handed off to me Son

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
So far, I'm the kind of guy that has to try out a car for 8 or 10 years to decide if I like it or not. 😅
The one time I sold a car, it was because the rear clip looked like an accordion and it was only worth the money to fix if you owned a body shop. So that's who bought it.

For me to sell my brand-new Mustang, I'd have to get a good deal trading in for one with MagneRide. Unless a tempting deal shows up at the right time, my niece or nephew might inherit this car in 30 years.

Last edited:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I bought a 2020 Bullitt in April of 2020 and plan on keeping it until the day I die and hand it off to one of my grandkids.
Hopefully they don't like it enough to "send you early" :) I would hope I'd keep mine for a good 6 years or more but it's going to depend on the car too. If it remains a good car I'll keep it pretty long if it turns out to be too many problems it won't be here as long.

I really like it so I'm hoping I got a good one. Time will tell :) Hard to believe I've had it almost 2 years already sheesh.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I have a 2017 GT with PP1, and have been gradually adding suspension mods. Guess my goal is to make it a decent HPDE machine that is also fun to drive on the street as well. I only drive it from April through October each year, and it shares mileage with my Focus ST and 1985 GT, so it doesn't have many miles on it. Probably for the foreseeable future?

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I'm ready for a different car after 5 years and 65K miles.
My daughter is 6mo. old now.. I need something my wife, my child, & I can ride in comfort.
Mustang is too loud and is too much of a rattle bucket. Pretty disappointed with it's build quality.
I don't see my self ever getting another Mustang.
Thinking of new E-Class Station Wagon as a Mustang replacement.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Financially my car decisions are terrible!
Tell me about it. Ha ha. To be fair, the worst offenders were expensive cars I couldn't drive before hand, and turned out not to be what I was expecting, like the GTR, Cayman GTS, S6, etc., I wouldn't doubt my unnecessary losses are into the 6 figures by now. Very frustrating.

Pierangiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Manual (sold), 2020 Mustang GT A10
My first mustang turned out to be a lemon and I intended to keep it until the day I die (transmission issues). Same goes for this new one. I hope to pass it on to my kids one day.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
The GT500 just got a great rating from Road and Track for the 2021 Performance Car of the Year. Love the write up and love knowing that much of the engineering that gained the GT500 the top rating will be part of my Mach 1.
Sponsored