How long do OEM shocks & struts last?

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
For you guys that have been lowered for a while now how long do you think the OEM shocks & struts will last when lowered and does how low you are make a difference?

I have a 2015 GT premium with 20x10 +35, 275/35/20 & 305/35/20, BMR SP080's, and a few suspension mods as well. 48,000 miles on the OD.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you find a spring that will work correctly with factory shocks and struts, there shouldn't be any real degrading of life, so basically a typical 30 - 50K miles depending on your roads.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Shouldn't any of the S550 lowering springs work correctly with the factory shocks/struts? So, I should be looking to change out mine since I have about 48,000 miles on my car already?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Firmer spring rate and lower ride height potentially reduces the longevity of OEM dampers. Considering how inexpensively you can acquire replacement OEM dampers from this forum and how inexpensive Steeda's fixed dampers are (especially when on sale) in the event you want to upgrade... this would be the least of my worries.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Shouldn't any of the S550 lowering springs work correctly with the factory shocks/struts? So, I should be looking to change out mine since I have about 48,000 miles on my car already?
To my understanding, aftermarket springs will work with factory shocks/struts, but an aftermarket set of shocks and struts which are designed to work with those particular springs would be *better*.

As you're already at 48K miles, I'd say might as well change them. You're only going to degrade your handling performance from this point forward with that many miles.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I have Steeda Ultralite Linear springs with the PP dampers. They work well enough together, but they are definitely not valved optimally the way I feel they should be for this spring. Mainly the rears. Soon I will be upgrading dampers. It isn't on the top of my list, but it is on the list.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I didn't see the 48,000 miles part. Definitely replace your shocks and struts. If they're not tired by now, they're definitely going to be on their way out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Dude just slap some springs in the OEM dampers and if one of them blows, get new ones. These aren't cheap garbage off RockAuto AC Cardone rebuilds on your car man...

There's a guy in my Mustang group with 90K miles with Sportlines and stock PP dampers. It hasn't fallen into pieces yet!

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Dude just slap some springs in the OEM dampers and if one of them blows, get new ones. These aren't cheap garbage off RockAuto AC Cardone rebuilds on your car man...

There's a guy in my Mustang group with 90K miles with Sportlines and stock PP dampers. It hasn't fallen into pieces yet!

This is what I'm sayin', 48,000 miles is not a lot. IT seems that the stock shocks/struts should last a lot longer than this.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This is what I'm sayin', 48,000 miles is not a lot. IT seems that the stock shocks/struts should last a lot longer than this.
+1. Shocks tend to last a long time. Except for the fronts in my F250 that worked fine as a damper, but the rubber mount bushing wore out at 195k.

Actually I can't recall ever replacing OEM shocks in the 30 years of driving new cars for 150k - 200k miles each. The F250 has 218k on it with the original rears.
Sponsored