Sponsored

How long did you want a Mustang before you got one and what did it take to make it possible?

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I grew up a Chevy guy. Owned a 58 golden hawk in HS as well as a 79 Z28 Camaro,81 280ZX, 81 LTD, 78 Chevy S/W 12" lift on 40"s, 71 VW Chop top, 65 Mustang. Then had my first kid in 2000 and went to a Mini Van for almost 10 years. In that time I got a primo 85 Fox that is now my Drag car with a 393 SBF (can't really DD it as getting in around the cage is not very fun) and with my first kid graduating HS I no longer needed a Van for my other 3 kids sooooo I said when I got a pay raise I would pay off all my Credit Debt and get me a S550 and leave it pretty much stock. I had converted into a Ford gut around 2010 and purchased my wife a 2013 Explorer new which she still drives the piss out of today. I got a hefty raise paid off SOME of my debt and during my COVID down time started looking at how much Mustang GT's where. I noticed the price of all the used GT's where not to far off from each other. I was looking for something with over 150K miles to get it cheap (I'm an ASE Master Tech so I figured I would just replace the suspension and a few other maintenance wear parts). I struck out and also noticed the A10 was in the 2018+ and that locked it in. I was on a nation wide search for a high mileage 2018+ GT with the A10 and Heated/Cooled Seats. I wanted a PP1+ and the new cluster but those where optional. I managed to find my 2019 Race Red GT Premium with 32K miles just one state away. It also fit my total cost of ownership requirements which was no loan over $35K.

I managed to save up a small war chest during COVID lock down so I also purchased (before I actually purchased the car) a set of 20" RTR wheels and NT555G2 tires along with the Ford by Borla ATCK exhaust and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I have sitting in my forayer about $1,800 in Steeda IRS parts waiting to put on hopefully this weekend if I can find the time. Ford was kind enough to replace the Short Block due to a scored cylinder. So since the day I drove it 5 hours home I've been in love with it. The ride is phenomenal (the springs did make it worse but not bad) and everyone always wants to race me at stop lights. So I couldn't leave it stock. The rear of the car is so squirmy when you get it on that it feels unsafe. But the power plant is staying stock until it rolls over 60K miles and I put either a Turbo or SC on it. Best car I've ever owned even with some of it's flaws. When I retire I'm already planning on get a new GT500 which is probably only 5-8 years away.
Sponsored

BrandoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brando
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wanted the s550 body since the day it came out. Took me five years, well about only a year since I am working two jobs now to be able to drive this bad boy! Getting one thats fully loaded aint cheap at all, but you won't see me driving a bmw or Benz!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have wanted another Mustang since May 13, 1991. That is the day my 89 fox body GT was stolen, never to be seen again.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How long did you want a Mustang before you got one
Depends on how I measure it - either a few months, or a few decades.

A friend of mine owned a '67 back in the day, which was probably what put me onto ponycars in general. Though once out of school (1970) and in a real job, what I really wanted was an AAR Cuda. Which didn't happen because the local Plymouth dealership wouldn't find me a 4-speed car and I wouldn't buy one of their automatics.

A dozen or so years later, it was the 3rd gen Camaro that had my eye, but the timing was wrong, being too soon after the most recent car purchase, and with our oldest about to hit his teens and fast becoming adult-size.

It wasn't until about mid-2007 when the S197 had been out for a while and had demonstrated above-average cornering and handling potential that I got seriously interested in owning a Mustang. The operative word there being "potential", because before I first set foot inside a Ford dealership to even look at the cars up close I was envisioning a modification plan.
from another Mustang site and dated 12-19-2007 said:
I'd like to see enough factory options to create a modern interpretation of the Trans-Am road-race Boss 302.

a somewhat more cornering-oriented suspension

the front wheel/tire sizes off a GT500 mounted all around.
and what did it take to make it possible?
Encouragement from my wife, even though I'd been out on furlough and continuous future employment didn't look guaranteed at all. I was 60 at the time . . .

Norm

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
If I had actually got that 69 or 70 Mach I as a teen I probably would not be here. With age comes brains.
back in the early 70's I was a 69 Mach 1 fan, but ended up with a 70' 440Sixpack Challenger, super track pack 4 speed ???....which I keep for almost 30 years....today I still would love to have a 69' Mach 1, manual, 428 SCJ, shaker, drag pack, albeit I was't looking for one when I was looking to trade in a 19' Scat Pack Shaker Challenger for the GT350 ....but If I ran across one locally I might not have been here either...with age comes brains...not necessarily, still an old school muscle car guy.

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
One of my ex bf's had a gt and I just fell in love with it. Although it took me about 5 years to get, I'm happy that I did. It's my second one. I bought a 2016 gt auto in 2018 and just got this one recently. Same year, diff color, but a manual.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was a little kid in the 60s and Ioved everything. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc. When I was in high school in the late 70s, a classmate had a late 60s Chevelle SS with aftermarket headers and exhaust. The sound of that thing was just perfect. My Dad owned a 66 Mustang convertible from 1979 until the mid 2000s. That car was fun and generated a lot of attention.

I never liked the looks of the Fox body or SN95 Mustangs. My brother had a late 90s Camaro and I much preferred the styling to the Mustangs of that era. But when the S197s came out I was a big fan of the retro look. Recently my wife and I became empty nesters. I spontaneously started looking at Mustangs and bought a 2015 V6 just 2 weeks ago. I still have a soft spot for the S197 but the S550 is clearly a better all around car. When I retire in a few years I'd like to trade up to a GT.
I barely remember posting this. I didn't wait until retirement to trade up for a '19 GT, lol.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I was stuck in traffic driving by a ford dealership lot, saw this Mustang in a unusual color and stopped in to take a look at it and two hours later drove off the lot with it. Almost three years later still like it as much as I did the first day.
Damn near how I ended up with the HEP. Was at the dealer getting the '19 CS drop top serviced. I'm sitting there in the glassed in waiting room. Transport pulls up and unloads the HEP. The rest is history.

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
One day. Driving home from my moms funeral I told the wife Iā€™d love to get a Mustang since we were next in the chopping block. Went the next day and got my 14GT Premium in deep impact blue.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have always had a passion for Mustangs since I was a kid (6-7 years old). I bought my first GT at the end of high school in 2006.

I drove it for 6 years, parked it due to some issues. Ended up with a Jeep, then a Focus ST after gas prices and my commute forced me out of the Jeep.

I was a fan of the S197 Coyote cars but not moved enough to trade my ST for one. As my career trajectory took off, I really started taking a liking to the S550. One in particular imprinted on me at Mustang Week 2017.

From that point on basically I started actively looking and it took me around a year before I got into my 2016. So to answer the question, it took a hard decision to trade my ST, time shopping to find ā€œthe oneā€ and job growth.

DolomiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertable
I never really payed much attention to Stangs growing up. I was never really a fan of the Fox Body (although it has grown on me quite a bit), but I liked the styling of the New Edge.

When the S197s came out I thought they were cool with the retro styling. It was really different for the time and I had neighbor buy one new back in 05. Back in those days I was a die hard GM/Pontiac Guy.

I remember seeing my first S550 a few years back. Neighbor a block over got one. That was the first time that a Stang really turned my head. By this time I was heavily invested in Subaru, having a modded WRX, Baja and XV.

A real good friend of mine is a die hard Ford Guy, and has owned a fair share of Pony Cars. When Ford vs Ferrari hit the theater he got us two tickets to watch. Being a car Guy I heard of Carroll Shelby of course but didnt really know the history. Afterwards I felt compelled to owning a Mustang. I toyed around with the idea but I didnt have the room or budget for one.

Then low and behold, a month later a 19 PP1 Stang showed up on a dealer lot near my home. My Ford buddy was like lets take it for a spin. He flags down a sales guy and yells "My Buddy wants a Mustang!" Pointing at me. I was like "Uh, thanks A$$hole!". Sales guy comes over with a leg in a cast and tosses me the keys. Tells us we can take it for a quick spin. Guess we looked like two middle aged fat Guys, so what's the harm?

I remember rowing the gears on that MT82 and found the automatic downshift rev. It was a pleasant surprise. That sound from the Adaptive Exhaust was intoxicating as well. The car was quick and pull reminded me of my old Modded G8 GT. Man I missed the instant NA power of a V8! Turbo Lag infuriates me, and my love for my WRX was lessoning.

Late last year I decided I was buying a Stang. I knew the only way I could swing it with the wife was to make sure it was a Convertible. So the hunt began.

I came across a Kona Blue GT with the Blue Stitched seating at a dealer up in Minnesota. It had every option minus the PP1 and the Magnetic Suspension. It was pre-owned with 11k on the Clock.

I noticed that this dealer had 53 convertibles on the lot, all pre-owned with varying miles all within $500 of one another. I called them up to get the scoop. Apparently the owner went to auction that fall and bought all of the Ford Corporate Lease cars and Buy Backs. I found out that the one I wanted was a Corporate Lease and it lived in Florida for a year, registered to Michigan.

I drove from Iowa up to Minnesota during a snow storm in my WRX with Blizzaks to check the car out with the same Buddy who gave me the Mustang fever. They had a Boss 302 up there he wanted to check out.

The Stang had its fair share of scratches and rock chips, but not too many dings. There was a strange bulge in the paint on the rear quarter however. I contacted another Buddy of mine who does body work at a local Ford Dealership. I sent him pics when I was there. He told me that it could be a defect and if it was, Ford would fix it under warranty. So I asked the Sales person to knock another $500 off for the paint imperfection and he did.

I traded my WRX on the spot. I took a bath on it, but I found the exact Stang I had been looking for I didn't have time to deal with Tire Kickers on a private sale.

The drive home was A$$-Puckering to say the least. On the way up to MN, the WRX was running between 55-60 with 0 issues on I-35 on Blizzaks and my suspension upgrades. Coming home I couldn't get above 25! Everytime I blipped the throttle we started walking sideways. I'm no stranger to RWD, but those Pirelli P Zeros are Gawd Aweful in the snow. It took 3.5 hours to get up there and it took 7 to get home.

The next day I took it down to my local Ford Dealer. My Buddy's boss took some photos. Ford authorized the respray. Since Ford was footing the bill for the paint, I had my buddy respray the front bumper, hood, fenders, mirror caps and rear bumper for $1500.

While he was working on the car he found the passenger side lamp had gouges in it and the bumper had been blended. He speculated that the right front burshed a brick wall and the auction house did a quick spot repair. Replacement lamps are expensive so he polished out the gouges, but it left a bit of a haze. To fix that problem he mixed a custom tint and shot all my lamps, and did the rears as well. Gotta say, my buddy does some quality work! LOL.

I know its a bit of a long read, but that is how I got into Stangs, and now I am a Lifer. šŸ˜‚

IMG_20200116_170134.jpg

IMG_20200116_170158.jpg

IMG_20200330_160711.jpg

Last edited: