Sponsored

How likely to be stolen

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There's this factory option that seems to thwart more than half the thieves, all by itself:
21st century anti-theft device.png
😇
mine doesn't even have any numbers on it so they'll be even more confused :crackup:
Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I have a M6, so it cannot be stolen. 😁

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I would be more worried about vandalism. If you can afford it over insure, and have gap insurance if your upside down.

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
May sound crazy, but I've thought about putting a magnetic (reed switch) Z-wave door sensor in my truck that ties into my Home Assistant home automation system that I use for my house's alarm.

Theyre about $40 and Z-Wave is pretty good about going through walls over moderate distances. From a parking lot to your house might be a stretch, though. And of course, this all assumes you have some kind of home automation system for it to tie into.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Pass on the car, save your money and get outta dodge. California has got to be the worst place in the country, with Michigan and New York closing in fast.
Move to Florida like everyone else, you’ll be glad you did.

*see you plan on moving to texas, why not move and rent their first to save more $$$

Last edited:

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
That doesn't work, that just disables the magic door handles from working, it doesn't stop anyone from spoofing your keyfob. With that said, there are more advanced attacks out there now that directly hijack canbus communications to get the car to start. So basically, if they want it, they're going to get it.

Anyone worried about theft that can't use a garage should invest in a kill switch type system, that way even if the thieves work their magic, they can't actually start the car unless they know what you did (and how you did it), so that just leaves the tow truck option.
Yes, i thought about it and clarified that on my follow up post.

There's a saying in hacking: "Physical access is total access". All security can be breached with enough access, time and the right tools. All we can do is try things to deter theives, make it a bit harder to do their thing. Anyone determined enough will make off with it of course, but you're playing the odds of what was easy to steal, so sometimes the small things are enough to ensure the victim wasn't you this time.

I had a killswitch on my last mustang, definitely a good idea too! Anything that throws a curveball is a good thing.

TDChi-Town

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible GT California Special
So, I live in Southern California, in a high end zip code. I do not own my own home, yet, and am renting an apartment. I am considering purchasing a new Mach 1, but it will have to be parked outside for the most part. Is this thing going to be a sitting duck for car thieves, or would it be reasonably safe?
Sponsored