Sponsored

How late is too late to order a 2023MY Mustang GT from the dealer?

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Scion tC, '23 GT Premium in MP (future)
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to placing custom orders from a car manufacturer. I've been in love with the S550 for years now and have finally gotten into a position to purchase one.

I plan on placing a custom order a car from my local dealership. I'm ideally looking at placing the order sometime in mid to late October. Knowing how backlogged Ford is and that MY23 will be a short run, should I rush in there ASAP and not wait a few weeks like I'm planning?

Also, do I provide a deposit or down payment the day I place the order?

Thanks.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would say place your order sooner than later if you can. Since it’s expected to be a short run, who knows what kind of allocations Ford is giving the dealers and how quickly those will get filled. Regarding a deposit, mine required one but it was 100% refundable (and I got that in writing).

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
Each dealer is different as far as deposit and pricing goes. Mine didn’t require a deposit. You may read through the threads in this forum and see what type of pricing is available out there compared to your local dealer. Another thing to consider is does your dealer have allocations available. If the don’t have the allocation it doesn’t matter when you order it because it will probably never get scheduled anyway. Also visit the Order/price/tracking sub forum at https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/order-price-tracking.73/ There is a dealer in IA that is offering 4% below invoice but last I heard they require a $1000 deposit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J_Li

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks. How do I check if the dealer has allocations available? Do I ask them directly?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ok, thanks. How do I check if the dealer has allocations available? Do I ask them directly?
Yes, ask them how many allocations they have left. If they’re a high volume dealer chances are they still have allocations available this early. As mentioned above, Granger Ford in Iowa has really good pricing if you don’t mind a long drive back to CA (or arranging for it to be shipped to you).

Sponsored

OP
OP
J_Li

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet, thank you!

Anything else I should know about this process? I wish CA wasn't so far from Iowa! I'll be looking into UShip.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sweet, thank you!

Anything else I should know about this process? I wish CA wasn't so far from Iowa! I'll be looking into UShip.
Ford’s tracking site is clunky so patience is key. Zach @Zach@Granger can provide more guidance with their ordering process as can others that ordered through Granger. Good luck!

OP
OP
J_Li

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you!

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Are you sure you definitely don’t want the 650? I’m just saying I love my 550 but the tech will become “outdated” quick and eventually everyone will like the 650 and you yourself might regret that purchase. It’s one thing if you’ve had the 550 for years like myself and whatever the new MY is out but to get it as the 550 is going out the door when the 650 is essentially a refresh with the gen4 coyote. I don’t know. Not so sure it’s so smart. Depends what you wanna do with it II guess.

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
in a few years the 650 tech will be outdated so which would you rather have:
1. outdated tech that isn't in your face
2. outdated tech all up in your face

i ordered analog gauges so ya know where i stand :D

OP
OP
J_Li

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure you definitely don’t want the 650? I’m just saying I love my 550 but the tech will become “outdated” quick and eventually everyone will like the 650 and you yourself might regret that purchase. It’s one thing if you’ve had the 550 for years like myself and whatever the new MY is out but to get it as the 550 is going out the door when the 650 is essentially a refresh with the gen4 coyote. I don’t know. Not so sure it’s so smart. Depends what you wanna do with it II guess.
I waited around until the '24 reveal to make a decision. The exterior of the S650 is... meh. Without the weird, arrow-tailed rear end it's okay-ish. BUT

the S650 dash is HEINOUS.

Like, god-awful dealbreaker heinous. And I'm a millennial that lives in California. Outside of the dash, I prefer the S550 interior as well.

I don't care about having the latest/greatest tech or most updated release of anything, thankfully.

OP
OP
J_Li

J_Li

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in a few years the 650 tech will be outdated so which would you rather have:
1. outdated tech that isn't in your face
2. outdated tech all up in your face

i ordered analog gauges so ya know where i stand :D
I'm going to order the premium w/ 400A!

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
Sweet, thank you!

I’ve used uShip on two vehicles so far with great success. The 4% back of invoice will more than make up for your cost.

I waited around until the '24 reveal to make a decision. The exterior of the S650 is... meh. Without the weird, arrow-tailed rear end it's okay-ish. BUT

the S650 dash is HEINOUS.

Like, god-awful dealbreaker heinous. And I'm a millennial that lives in California. Outside of the dash, I prefer the S550 interior as well.

I don't care about having the latest/greatest tech or most updated release of anything, thankfully.
Prior to my current order I had a MY22 on order which I was pretty sure wasn’t going to get built before the Nov build out date. Once the S650 was revealed I decided the same as you that that dog just wasn’t gonna hunt so I ordered a MY23 the day the order bank opened from a volume dealer I knew was going to have an allocation.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The FORD web-site still lists a 2022 Mustang to price and build. I'm waiting to see what options have changed and the final price of the 23 GT premium before ordering. The dealership I go to in NJ said they require a $500 non-refundable deposit.
Sponsored