How I improved the B&O sound quality for free

DGuetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Do you guys use Spotify app? There is a equalizer built in that works wonders!! Check out this I mounted iPad under factory screen (I built a custom mount that slides up and down). That way I donā€™t have to use CarPlay

2A3FA1A4-0A07-4E63-9ED4-56BA7871F1A0.jpeg

Mat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys use Spotify app? There is a equalizer built in that works wonders!! Check out this I mounted iPad under factory screen (I built a custom mount that slides up and down). That way I donā€™t have to use CarPlay

2A3FA1A4-0A07-4E63-9ED4-56BA7871F1A0.jpeg
That looks pretty cool. How did you mount it to the car? Do you have anymore pics?

DGuetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
I purchased a cheap iPad mount drilled two holes and run bolt out the back as guides with two plastic wing nuts on the back side. There are two bolts under rubber mat near USB port. I used them as my mounting points. I purchased some cheap small kitchen drawer guides and painted them black and attached the gliders to bolts under rubber mat with small L brackets. The bolts I put in iPad mount lined up with drawer gliders with wing nuts so I can tighten wing nuts to keep iPad where I want. Loosen them to move iPad up then tighten to keep in place. Kinda hard to explain but I think you get it lol I took it out because iPads do not support hi res music which I didnā€™t know when making this mount :/ sucks too because I loved the look. If I feel ambitious this weekend I will put it back in to take some pictures for you guys!

Sponsored

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
TLDR takeaways:
  1. The factory set the level of the B&O subwoofer way too high by at least 12dB.
  2. The tonal balance can be adjusted close to flat with somewhat extreme settings of the 3 tone controls.
  3. Imaging is better with the balance 1 click shy of centered on the passenger seat centerline. (For when there is no passenger, and assuming center channel speaker is OFF.)

After much testing and experimenting, I improved the sound of the B&O system just by adjusting the controls.

Here is the final result:
MicPassHeadRestFullRangeMid#4Treble#6SubMinBal0_SeatUpWindowsUpTrunkClosed.png

Even after setting the subwoofer tone control to minimum, and the midrange control up by 4 clicks and the treble up by +5 or +6, the subwoofer level is still too hot by around 6dB.

Here are the settings (the balance is set for driver with no passenger):
20200508_152051.jpg

20200508_152624.jpg

The OmniMic was placed into passenger headrest:
20200508_152859.jpg

I will post supporting data that lead me to this alignment next.
I know this is an old thread, but would you happen to have the wiring diagram for the B&O subwoofer? I am going to tap the subwoofer wires to add an LC2I and amplifier . This thread has been very helpful since I was trying to figure out the frequency I would get to my aftermarket speakers

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am all about that BASE,about that BASE,No Treble.šŸ¤”

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
TLDR takeaways:
  1. The factory set the level of the B&O subwoofer way too high by at least 12dB.
  2. The tonal balance can be adjusted close to flat with somewhat extreme settings of the 3 tone controls.
  3. Imaging is better with the balance 1 click shy of centered on the passenger seat centerline. (For when there is no passenger, and assuming center channel speaker is OFF.)

After much testing and experimenting, I improved the sound of the B&O system just by adjusting the controls.

Here is the final result:
MicPassHeadRestFullRangeMid#4Treble#6SubMinBal0_SeatUpWindowsUpTrunkClosed.png

Even after setting the subwoofer tone control to minimum, and the midrange control up by 4 clicks and the treble up by +5 or +6, the subwoofer level is still too hot by around 6dB.

Here are the settings (the balance is set for driver with no passenger):
20200508_152051.jpg

20200508_152624.jpg

The OmniMic was placed into passenger headrest:
20200508_152859.jpg

I will post supporting data that lead me to this alignment next.
I have not yet experienced the B&O system in a Mustang (yet I clicked the box while ordering a Mach 1 ?!?!?) Previous car, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label with upgraded Revel audio, I had to set the Treble -4, Mid +3, and Bass -2 to get rid of the annoying Hi's and booming/rumbling Bass (i.e. balanced).

Anyone know if the B&O and Revel are comparable? Semi-non audiophiles are interested. šŸ˜Ž

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread, but would you happen to have the wiring diagram for the B&O subwoofer? I am going to tap the subwoofer wires to add an LC2I and amplifier . This thread has been very helpful since I was trying to figure out the frequency I would get to my aftermarket speakers
Check out these two posts I wrote up back in 2020 in the subwoofer thread. #5 , #10

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I have not yet experienced the B&O system in a Mustang (yet I clicked the box while ordering a Mach 1 ?!?!?) Previous car, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label with upgraded Revel audio, I had to set the Treble -4, Mid +3, and Bass -2 to get rid of the annoying Hi's and booming/rumbling Bass (i.e. balanced).

Anyone know if the B&O and Revel are comparable? Semi-non audiophiles are interested. šŸ˜Ž
Check out the B&O subwoofer replacement thread. Replacing that transformed my system from a boomy bass dominated mess to a much improved musical bass. Cheap and easy to do as well.

Sponsored

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thanks for the info and providing the settings! Since I prefer a neutral sound, the settings you provided have really improved the quality to the sound. It now has depth to the sound that was missing from the settings I have been using for the past three years.

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Thanks for the info and providing the settings! Since I prefer a neutral sound, the settings you provided have really improved the quality to the sound. It now has depth to the sound that was missing from the settings I have been using for the past three years.
I just did the adjustment and got same resultsā€¦much better! Thanks to the OP!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
When using Carplay you can't adjust tone or balance/fade.
Actually you can. I posted this in another thread about a similar "problem". If your car has a CD player use the Music Note button instead. This goes for both Android Auto and Car Play.

"Since I don't have a CD player, that physical button with the music note is Play/Pause on my car and the Eject button is replaced with the "settings" button.
1646661337620-png.png

Pressing "settings" will take me out of whatever AA app is running and to the audio settings page of the main menu. From there I can use the Ford touch screen system features. It's not as elegant as pressing the music note button but it does kick you back into the main Ford Sync menu system."
Sponsored