How I improved the B&O sound quality for free

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Haven't seen this. That's for the STOCK sub, right? Did you use the whole bag posted (12 oz), or the 8 oz suggested above? And no need to remove the sub box, right? So the poly fill makes the bass sound tighter inside the car, and actually sounds the same or better at all volumes? Just want to make sure it doesn't sound worse in any circumstances. Thx.

As a side note, somebody recommended changing the sub for an MB Quart that fits in the stock box, but never mentioned what he did for the wiring. I don't want to mess with that.
Yes I did this to the stock sub. I took the enclosure out because didn’t want to do this in the sun. Super easy to remove. Only three screws in the front. Once those removed, pull The enclosure loud out. Disconnect the one plug harness in back and done. 12oz is more than enough. I use 8-9oz. still have some left in the bag.
Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
From a classic speaker site, some information about speaker fill material.
"Both fiberglass and rock wool are non-flammable and won't melt at any temperature likely to be found inside a speaker enclosure. Previous posts here indicate that the pots used in AR speakers can get quite hot. Replacing the fiberglass with poly-fill would require evaluating the risks associated with replacing non-flammable fiberglass with a flammable stuffing."

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
From a classic speaker site, some information about speaker fill material.
"Both fiberglass and rock wool are non-flammable and won't melt at any temperature likely to be found inside a speaker enclosure. Previous posts here indicate that the pots used in AR speakers can get quite hot. Replacing the fiberglass with poly-fill would require evaluating the risks associated with replacing non-flammable fiberglass with a flammable stuffing."
It's not a concern. The temperature required to ignite polyester is around 432°F. There is no component on the subwoofer that will ever get close to that temperature.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Okay gang, will order the polyfill linked several posts above (from Amazon), but the question remains: To fill with about 8 oz (2/3s of the bag), or stuff the entire 12 oz bag??? Whichever is better for the sound. Thx.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Okay gang, will order the polyfill linked several posts above (from Amazon), but the question remains: To fill with about 8 oz (2/3s of the bag), or stuff the entire 12 oz bag??? Whichever is better for the sound. Thx.
Lightly stuffed is the way to do it.

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
Just finished the MB Quqrt install. Was able to go back with the original cover and trim ring, just a little dremel work to get sub to fit flush, very clean. I did use poly-fil.

The sound is a vast improvement, tighter and a good bass thump. It's a "no brainer" for $57.00 bucks.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How about the connections? What did you have to do? And how much Polyfill you put in there? Thx.

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
How about the connections? What did you have to do? And how much Polyfill you put in there? Thx.
I dremeled the box so the new sub would fit flush. There are 6 or so small vertical plastic extensions on the inside lip and an index piece at 12 o'clock just above the sub hole that have to be trimmed. Not much just a little, check fit as you go.
You need 6 extra screws as there are 12 holes, you will see where they all go when you put the mounting ring on and use the original screws for that. After you do a test run then snap the trim ring in place and it all looks original. Good Luck.

I made the connections the same as the OEM sub. I removed the pins from their fittings and pushed the pins into their respective push lock/quick disconnect fitting on either side of the new sub.
Y+/P- to the left side and G+/B- to the right side of the new sub, - is black and + is red, as indicated on the push lock fittings.

I used about 8ozs or so of poly-fil, just loosely fill the sub, it's not an exact art.

Last edited:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I have a 2018 with the Premium setup. I had swapped the DSP to a Shaker and added the factory sub to the trunk. This was easy since 2018s with active exhaust had the wiring harness from factory.

Anyway, I tried a similar configuration of the tone controls and, much to my surprise, I liked the results.
TLDR takeaways:
  1. The factory set the level of the B&O subwoofer way too high by at least 12dB.
  2. The tonal balance can be adjusted close to flat with somewhat extreme settings of the 3 tone controls.
  3. Imaging is better with the balance 1 click shy of centered on the passenger seat centerline. (For when there is no passenger, and assuming center channel speaker is OFF.)

After much testing and experimenting, I improved the sound of the B&O system just by adjusting the controls.

Here is the final result:
MicPassHeadRestFullRangeMid#4Treble#6SubMinBal0_SeatUpWindowsUpTrunkClosed.png

Even after setting the subwoofer tone control to minimum, and the midrange control up by 4 clicks and the treble up by +5 or +6, the subwoofer level is still too hot by around 6dB.

Here are the settings (the balance is set for driver with no passenger):
20200508_152051.jpg

20200508_152624.jpg

The OmniMic was placed into passenger headrest:
20200508_152859.jpg

I will post supporting data that lead me to this alignment next.
I have a 2018 with the Premium setup. I had swapped the DSP to a Shaker and added the factory sub to the trunk. This was easy since 2018s with active exhaust had the wiring harness from factory.

Anyway, I tried a similar configuration of the tone controls and, much to my surprise, I liked the results. I can push the volume higher without it sounding as distorted.

With the sound tube removal I also had to adjust speed compensation to "Medium". That's how I could tell removing it did something.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jbeez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pkg1, 2014 Taurus SHO w/ PP
I found a source for the green harness connectors. I am building the padding circuits with these and will post more measurements, hopefully next week. I want to use OEM connectors so that anyone can insert the circuit plug-and-play and not cut any factory wires.
Could you share where to pick these up and the pins to crimp each side if you know?

Thanks

jbeez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Just a note too, I'm not sure that EQ change in forscan will do anything at all on a car with the B&O system. My as-built data already has a bunch of zeros in those areas. I was researching so I could do variable line level out and flat EQ.

727-01-01 10A0 1000 01F1
727-01-02 0000 0000 0031
727-01-03 0000 0000 0032

727 is the ACM module, so what this possibly means is I will need to experiment with the DSP module instead as I believe these functions could be performed in there.

This is my DSP as-built data:
783-01-01 0405 0095
783-02-01 0491

I found an EQ line in the f150 dsp(2018+) sheet which may be useful, I can at least test out the different values and see if anything changes.

783-02-01x*xxVehicle EQ Selection: 0=Unconfigured (default EQ with protection filtering), 1=P552 Super Cab, 2=P552 Crew Cab, 3=CD539N-Edge, 4-7=reserved

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Just a note too, I'm not sure that EQ change in forscan will do anything at all on a car with the B&O system. My as-built data already has a bunch of zeros in those areas. I was researching so I could do variable line level out and flat EQ.

727-01-01 10A0 1000 01F1
727-01-02 0000 0000 0031
727-01-03 0000 0000 0032

727 is the ACM module, so what this possibly means is I will need to experiment with the DSP module instead as I believe these functions could be performed in there.

This is my DSP as-built data:
783-01-01 0405 0095
783-02-01 0491

I found an EQ line in the f150 dsp(2018+) sheet which may be useful, I can at least test out the different values and see if anything changes.

783-02-01x*xxVehicle EQ Selection: 0=Unconfigured (default EQ with protection filtering), 1=P552 Super Cab, 2=P552 Crew Cab, 3=CD539N-Edge, 4-7=reserved
Any updates? I have a 2020 with the b&o system. I too would like to flatten the eq curve using forescan.

Not sure if this matters, but I have a PAC controller (attached between the factory amp and head unit) going to aftermarket amps powering the panel/door speakers and sub. I am planning to add an aftermarket eq (dsr1), so it may not be necessary for me to change the factory eq. Thoughts appreciated.

jbeez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
no update, haven't even looked at it yet.

TwinkESaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Any updates? I have a 2020 with the b&o system. I too would like to flatten the eq curve using forescan.

Not sure if this matters, but I have a PAC controller (attached between the factory amp and head unit) going to aftermarket amps powering the panel/door speakers and sub. I am planning to add an aftermarket eq (dsr1), so it may not be necessary for me to change the factory eq. Thoughts appreciated.
Are you using the AMPPro 4? I have that in my 2020 Gt350 with B&O and the pink noise i played via CD into my DSP does not look like anything weird is going on with the signal as the volume increases.

I was worried about having to figure the signal part out but I don't think we need to be concerned, at least if you use the AMPPro4
Sponsored