How I improved the B&O sound quality for free

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Have you tried surround mode? It makes a big difference in the center speaker, removes a lot of the harshness. Once I switched back and forth between stereo and surround a few times I settled on surround and don't need to disconnect the center speaker. I do have old and abused ears, so YMMV. Worth a try.
Yeah, I don't get it. Someone, a while back, suggested the surround mode. I tried it, the sound is great, no center speaker! So, why are people still taking the car apart and cutting wires???
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So, to summarize, in order to get the most out of the B&O system as it is, without replacing or adding hardware components, we should do the following:
1. Set the treble to +5 or +6 above midpoint, the midrange to +4 above midpoint, and the bass to off.
2. Either physically disconnect the central speaker (preferrably), or use the surround option instead of stereo (which has the side effect of making the central speaker less prominent).

Is that all?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So, to summarize, in order to get the most out of the B&O system as it is, without replacing or adding hardware components, we should do the following:
1. Set the treble to +5 or +6 above midpoint, the midrange to +4 above midpoint, and the bass to off.
2. Either physically disconnect the central speaker (preferrably), or use the surround option instead of stereo (which has the side effect of making the central speaker less prominent).

Is that all?
forescan disables factory eq. makes it all flat.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Someone, a while back, suggested the surround mode. I tried it, the sound is great, no center speaker!
Is that the case??? That's what I use, and I was starting to question my hearing, since I don't hear the center speaker overpowering the others. But since I'm not completely satisfied with the sound, I thought maybe that was the issue, but I wasn't able to pin-point it myself. That's also why I wanted to add a switch, to be able to turn it on and off and hear the difference. And also because in navigation mode, the system's voice comes mainly out of that speaker, I believe. But ideally, I don't want to touch it. Will play with music more with this new revelation, switching to regular stereo, and see if I hear the overpowering center speaker then.

Having said that, it makes no sense to hear the center speaker in stereo mode (only in surround), but maybe that's the way it is, for some reason.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Is that the case??? That's what I use, and I was starting to question my hearing, since I don't hear the center speaker overpowering the others. But since I'm not completely satisfied with the sound, I thought maybe that was the issue, but I wasn't able to pin-point it myself. That's also why I wanted to add a switch, to be able to turn it on and off and hear the difference. And also because in navigation mode, the system's voice comes mainly out of that speaker, I believe. But ideally, I don't want to touch it. Will play with music more with this new revelation, switching to regular stereo, and see if I hear the overpowering center speaker then.

Having said that, it makes no sense to hear the center speaker in stereo mode (only in surround), but maybe that's the way it is, for some reason.
I can't hear any sound from the center speaker while in "surround", no vibration when I put my hand on the grille. And, yes, I think navigation and the phone use the center speaker, so I'm not going to remove the connections.

Sponsored

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
It's definitely counter-intuitive, but surround dramatically cuts back the center speaker. I wonder if it changes the EQ and sends a range of frequencies the speaker can handle better vs the entire signal?

For me it's enough to not consider disabling the center speaker.

I'm really happy with the sound using surround and the OP's settings. I didn't notice any difference with the balance centered or slightly to the right as the OP showed, so I have it balanced.I increased the bass 1 click for a little more punch.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

Is that all?
That will sound awful (IMHO) !

Bass to minimum - yes (plus polyfill sub)
Midrange in the middle - don't push it much higher or it sounds odd
I personally turned the treble down to two off minimum and it sounds much better, you do have to turn the volume up a bit. Otherwise the treble is really scratchy and overpowering - not just from the centre speaker.

I don't run in surround mode as the centre speaker isn't a problem with the treble backed off

It takes a bit of work but it actually sounds pretty good eventually. Make sure you set it up when driving along (with suitable care) as the difference is significant to sitting with the engine off.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So, I got a phone call, for the first time, today. With the unit set in "surround" I was disappointed that no sound came out of the center speaker. I believe that the phone would sound better with the center speaker. I think I'm going to try Gregs24 suggestions and revert back to "stereo".

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So, I got a phone call, for the first time, today. With the unit set in "surround", I was disappointed that no sound came out of the center speaker.
Are you sure? And how about with the music?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Are you sure? And how about with the music?
Yeah, I don't know if I get any sound out of the center speaker. I tried the unit in both stereo and surround modes. Surround sounds better. I tried to get my ear close to the center speaker and put my hand over it to see if its working, yet I have no indication that the center speaker works. I dunno...

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Are these settings with Surround ON or OFF?
Surround Off. I won't reconnect the center to try it with Surround On, but I can in my buddy's car. He lives across the street.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Surround Off. I won't reconnect the center to try it with Surround On, but I can in my buddy's car. He lives across the street.
TY!.. Just to clarify, use the settings posted with Surround OFF and Center Speaker disconnect. Also if you do get around to testing with Surround ON and with the center speaker, please post your findings.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did the same thing. Big difference! specially at low volume.
Haven't seen this. That's for the STOCK sub, right? Did you use the whole bag posted (12 oz), or the 8 oz suggested above? And no need to remove the sub box, right? So the poly fill makes the bass sound tighter inside the car, and actually sounds the same or better at all volumes? Just want to make sure it doesn't sound worse in any circumstances. Thx.

As a side note, somebody recommended changing the sub for an MB Quart that fits in the stock box, but never mentioned what he did for the wiring. I don't want to mess with that.
Sponsored