How I gave my 2017 GT Active Exhaust

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello all. Well, I have had my 2017 GT CS for a couple of years now and have been making it my own little by little. GT350R steering wheel, Digital Dash, Whipple and fuel system, etc. Well one thing I always wanted was the ability to control the loudness of the exhaust, plus on top of that I really wanted that GT350 Rear Valance. So I decided to figure out a way to make it work on my GT. Researching around, I stumbled upon something that makes this process much easier. There are other methods that can allow you to do this cheaper, but this worked for me. In this post I will go through what I needed including part numbers to make this work. First up is the list.

1. GT350 Rear Valance: Could be OEM(thats what I chose) or a different version https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/fr3z-17f828-ab.html
  2. GT350 Exhaust Clamps - https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-exhaust-muffler-clamp-fr3z5a231a
  3. GT350 Catback OEM or aftermarket(I got a Magnaflow Competition Catback for the GT350) - probably going to have to source this used or aftermarket.
  4. GT350 OEM Valve Actuators - https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-valve-exhaust-fr3z5k245a
  5. AWE Tuning Switch Path Remote System - https://www.awe-tuning.com/stock-exhaust-switchpath-remote
  6. GT350 Rear Splash Shields(Optional for fun and looks) - https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/splshgrdkit.html

The AWE Exhaust actuator kit is what really makes this all reasonable and easy. The kit was initially designed for the Focus RS but has also widely been used by GT350 guys to manually control their exhaust valve actuators. You get a control box that plugs into both actuators and then two hand held remotes that open and close the valves. I called in to AWE to inquire about how they work and found that they make a kit for GTs that goes along with their AWE GT Catback. This particular kit is designed to wire into the rear subwoofer for power, this is important because the standard GT350 kit uses the OEM GT350 wiring harness for power/ground which we do not have as a GT. So now with all of these parts I am able to control the valves of my catback with a simple remote control.

One other item you will need to sort out is the connection point between the catback and the header lead tubes. The GT connection point is 2.25” while the GT350 is 2.5”. I have longtubes so I took my lead pipes off and had a local guy enlarge them to 2.5” for an easy connection between the catback and the lead pipes. This is also why I have the GT350 exhaust clamps on the list. If you choose a different way to connect the catback and lead pipes then you would not need to purchase those.

IMG_7550.jpg

IMG_7578.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

IMG_7551.jpg
Sponsored

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I already have a 2020 active exhaust on my 2015. Would that valance fit with that exhaust? I've been looking around for one and that one is really well priced.

OP
OP
Whitedevil95

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think the Roush rear valance is the one you want for the 2018 Catback. Im gonna get a couple better videos today after work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whitedevil95

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So overall this Magnaflow Catback is pretty quiet. Even in the loud mode its quieter than my Thermal R&D catback was. In the quiet mode it is nice and quiet, which I like. Keep in mind this is me with long tubes and free flowing exhaust. Im sure it would be SUPER quiet if I had stock headers.

Here is an idle video or me swapping the valves. You can kinda hear the changes.

This is revving in Quiet mode.

This is revving in Loud Mode

sb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Very nice, thanks for the write up!

Mibridger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thank you for this, I have just done this on my 2017 GT with a Corsa Atack GT350 system, your write up was most useful.

I am so pleased now that I can control the valves on my Corsa system 😊

OP
OP
Whitedevil95

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thank you for this, I have just done this on my 2017 GT with a Corsa Atack GT350 system, your write up was most useful.

I am so pleased now that I can control the valves on my Corsa system 😊
Glad I could help!
Sponsored