Sponsored

How Embarassing (and how to fix it)

captjeff19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible - White w/ Ebony
So last evening I drove my wife in the Mustang to the dealership where our other vehicle (Jeep GC) was having some warranty work performed. As we walked away from the car going towards the service center, I tried to lock the doors with the fob. After couple clicks, it finally worked. I found that wierd.

When we got her vehicle we said "see ya at home" and she pulled out in the GC. I got to the car and pulled the handle... nothing. It wouldn't unlock. I pulled out the fob and pressed unlock... still nothing. So I'm standing there with the MOPAR guys looking at me unable to get in my damn car. I called my wife before she got far and she came back with her fob, which luckily unlocked the car. However, the car would not start. Bricked. Only a message in the Info Screen " No Fob Detected". I'm thinking, "no fob?!?!?!?! I've got 2 of the f*****s in my hand!!" The MOPAR guys are lurking about 15 feet away as my profanity gets louder and more profane. I think I heard one of the snicker. Finally, I remember reading something in the Mustang manual that if you have more than 1 fob on your keychain, it's possible that the car will not respond. (We've had the car for over 3 weeks and it hadn't been a problem yet.) So I gave my Jeep fob to my wife and asked her to walk away... she got about 40' away and the Mustang finally roared to life.

So let this be a lesson to all of you carrying 2 or more fobs on your keychain... it could happen to you. I just hope that if it does, you're not at a competitor's dealership.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
This had me curious so I got my two fobs, and unlocked my car and then started it just fine.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
So last evening I drove my wife in the Mustang to the dealership where our other vehicle (Jeep GC) was having some warranty work performed. As we walked away from the car going towards the service center, I tried to lock the doors with the fob. After couple clicks, it finally worked. I found that wierd.

When we got her vehicle we said "see ya at home" and she pulled out in the GC. I got to the car and pulled the handle... nothing. It wouldn't unlock. I pulled out the fob and pressed unlock... still nothing. So I'm standing there with the MOPAR guys looking at me unable to get in my damn car. I called my wife before she got far and she came back with her fob, which luckily unlocked the car. However, the car would not start. Bricked. Only a message in the Info Screen " No Fob Detected". I'm thinking, "no fob?!?!?!?! I've got 2 of the f*****s in my hand!!" The MOPAR guys are lurking about 15 feet away as my profanity gets louder and more profane. I think I heard one of the snicker. Finally, I remember reading something in the Mustang manual that if you have more than 1 fob on your keychain, it's possible that the car will not respond. (We've had the car for over 3 weeks and it hadn't been a problem yet.) So I gave my Jeep fob to my wife and asked her to walk away... she got about 40' away and the Mustang finally roared to life.

So let this be a lesson to all of you carrying 2 or more fobs on your keychain... it could happen to you. I just hope that if it does, you're not at a competitor's dealership.
I've noticed when a passenger touches the handle (that doesn't hold a key-fob) before I've touched the handle to auto-unlock the car that the car locks and doesn't allow me to unlock/open the doors until I physically click the unlock button on the key fob.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I've noticed when a passenger touches the handle (that doesn't hold a key-fob) before I've touched the handle to auto-unlock the car that the car locks and doesn't allow me to unlock/open the doors until I physically click the unlock button on the key fob.
I sometimes have to manually press the unlock button on the fob, but have not figured out what causes it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

captjeff19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This had me curious so I got my two fobs, and unlocked my car and then started it just fine.
Mine had been working fine for 3 week without problem also (probably as many as 4 fobs in the car at once when both of us have both sets of keys)

But yesterday... car was a brick for 5 minutes or more.

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
seems weird..i mean we all literally drove home from dealership with both sets of fobs and all our cars stared.. i doubt this is a case of having both fobs. it might've been some other sort of interference.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would venture to guess this is a security feature so that you don't lock not one but both fobs inside the car. A "just in case" type of feature. It does make sense though.

But idk, I'm sure we all drove home from the dealership with 2 fobs at time of purchase too.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
one of the mopar guys probably had a jammer and was fucking with you

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Strangely, my wife drives a Grand Cherokee as well and only once, when I had both the GC and the Mustang fobs on one ring, so they were touching, did the Mustang say "No Fob Detected". I've since separated fobs and never had the issue since.
It seemed understandable to me as I think they are both 315 MHz, or there about.

Sponsored

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Also, as I read the OP, I believe he means two different push to start fobs, not both Mustang fobs, but a Mustang one and a different manufacturer's fob.

OP
OP

captjeff19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, as I read the OP, I believe he means two different push to start fobs, not both Mustang fobs, but a Mustang one and a different manufacturer's fob.
Correct... fobs for 2 different cars (as many households will now have 2 or more cars with keyless start/entry)

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Correct... fobs for 2 different cars (as many households will now have 2 or more cars with keyless start/entry)
Ah. Must be similar to playing with remote control toys on the same frequency.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i keep my wife's nissan sentra fob in mine, no issues.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just for S&G I looked up Chrysler/Jeep, Nissan, and Ford's frequencies
Jeep 433Mhz
Nissan 433Mhz
Ford 315Mhz and 902Mhz

My build sheet shows 315Mhz... maybe there's a certain amount of leeway with these. range where there is the possibility of overlap?
Sponsored