Sponsored

How does the interior quality of the 400A compare to the 401A?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Ignoring the gauges, is the leather that much nicer? Is the center thing with the shifter still hard plastic or is that leather also?
Sponsored

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I went from '18 400A to '19 401A, mainly to get the digital cluster.

My car has the midnight blue interior with blue stitching. The seats have a pattern in them, but it's fairly subtle. There's a blue tint around the ventilation holes. Personally, I really like it. I don't believe the leather is any higher quality, but the pattern and stitching make a nicer interior. Knee bolsters appear to be leather, console is not. Both the bolsters and console have the matching blue stitching.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
The leather is nicer for sure. I have a 400A car and I wish I would have gone 401A because of that alone.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Knee bolsters appear to be leather, console is not.
Nothing is leather except the middle (perforated) of the front seats and steering wheel; that's it. And even the 'premium' leather on my Bullitt is nothing to write home about, so the lower quality one is probably pretty crappy (haven't seen one up close to compare). What that package adds is padded vinyl (like the 'knee bolsters'). Ford even had the nerve to do the front plastic pieces that surround the center console screen and HVAC controls imitating stitching; geez. Looks like absolute crap. Either stitch the vinyl/plastic, or leave it flat, but don't make fake stitching.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I couldn’t tell you what the 400a package is like. I like my premium with 401 though.
I don’t think it’s high quality, but this car doesn’t scream build quality either. I’m learning to be happy with it for what it is.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Katzkin is the only answer for leather. BTW, they will send you a tri-fold cardboard sample board with actual pieces of leather mounted so you can see the actual material and colors. The website color display isn't bad but it's not exactly accurate.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Katzkin is the only answer for leather. BTW, they will send you a tri-fold cardboard sample board with actual pieces of leather mounted so you can see the actual material and colors. The website color display isn't bad but it's not exactly accurate.
katzkin is good. However not sure why someone would want to gut the cars interior and pay to install it. For me personally it’ll be a waste I’m sure there’s people out there who it’s for, but seems it’s more work and trouble than to just enjoy the leather (or cloth) you got and just let it ride.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I do like the 401's soft touch shifter/cup holder area over the hard plastic. Why call it "Premium" with so much hard plastic? It makes me have to step on the gas to forgive...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
katzkin is good. However not sure why someone would want to gut the cars interior and pay to install it. For me personally it’ll be a waste I’m sure there’s people out there who it’s for, but seems it’s more work and trouble than to just enjoy the leather (or cloth) you got and just let it ride.
Honestly its only worth it as a DIY job. You can do one seat at a time if you don't want to do the whole job at once and it looks pretty manageable. I might do it eventually.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
I do like the 401's soft touch shifter/cup holder area over the hard plastic. Why call it "Premium" with so much hard plastic? It makes me have to step on the gas to forgive...
Is it a rubber or is it actually leather?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
So does the center thing feel like the soft touch doors on the 401A?

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
I went from '18 400A to '19 401A, mainly to get the digital cluster.

My car has the midnight blue interior with blue stitching. The seats have a pattern in them, but it's fairly subtle. There's a blue tint around the ventilation holes. Personally, I really like it. I don't believe the leather is any higher quality, but the pattern and stitching make a nicer interior. Knee bolsters appear to be leather, console is not. Both the bolsters and console have the matching blue stitching.
Is the center cup holder / shifter thing soft touch on the 401A? That’s my bigger complaint with my 400 car.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Yes. 401A has leather wrapped softer center consul. Sweat I seen one on eBay for like $100 yesterday.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
401A has leather wrapped softer center consul.
Again, it's VINYL, not leather. Even with luxury cars, you need to pay extra to get a center console wrapped in leather. My biggest beef is with the stupid door armrests; Ford could have used a bit less cheap vinyl on 'premium' cars than the super cheap crap even Bullitts have. At least the center console vinyl is of slightly better quality, with a decent leather-like texture to it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Again, it's VINYL, not leather. Even with luxury cars, you need to pay extra to get a center console wrapped in leather. My biggest beef is with the stupid door armrests; Ford could have used a bit less cheap vinyl on 'premium' cars than the super cheap crap even Bullitts have. At least the center console vinyl is of slightly better quality, with a decent leather-like texture to it.
I think it's funny how my base car has the same armrest "leather" as the higher tier packages, lol. With that said it's very easy to clean, comfy, and I almost never have to look at it so I can't complain.
Sponsored