How does Sirius XM sound in your car

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
They made an offer I could live with, $5 a month for a year. All I listen to is chs. 5 and 6. Yeah I know, totally dated. That said, I've been listening to those songs for 60 years. I know what they're supposed to sound like, and on the satellite they sound like crap! Hissing cymbals, distortion, sometimes stereo where there shouldn't be and vice versa. Doesn't seem like the broadcaster because these sound OK in the wife's Audi. Got a bunch of stuff on a USB drive and it sounds great. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Satellite radio is severely compressed, on my '18 it sounds pretty bad (flat, poor channel separation, poor high freq response, loss of dynamic range, etc.). FM/CD/USB etc. all sound way better. I think it's an inherent problem with the satellite format, but maybe some car stereos can do a better job handling it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That IS the sound of satellite radio unfortunately. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of compressed audio. If you have a smartphone a better option is something like Spotify premium. You can download your playlists and favorite channels and use no data while you're driving around. There is even a high-quality option but downloads will take up more of your phone memory.

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm not imagining what I'm hearing. Yeah got a good phone but have a better library of stuff I dredge off YouTube. There are very good YouTube to mp3 converter apps to strip out the audio and delete ads. Just have to convert the rest of my audio CDs and digitize the remaining vinyl.

Nothing like having the top down and blasting Ricky Nelson to scare the young'ns. That and it drowns out the rap when a ricer pulls along side at a light.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Listen to SiriusXM using their app via CarPlay or Android Auto instead. It sounds much better. The SiriusXM app allows you to adjust playback quality.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Listen to SiriusXM using their app via CarPlay or Android Auto instead. It sounds much better. The SiriusXM app allows you to adjust playback quality.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
In my 2018 FFH, I did not like it that much... mids were not there
In my 2020 Mkz-Hybrid, because it has the better sound system (more speakers has mids now, better AMP), I like it much better.. still not as good as the ipod, or HD radio but much better.
Sponsored