Sponsored

How does Ford manage to get the oil temp up so quickly?

VoodooMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Big 3
It has an oil/coolant heat exchanger instead of an oil cooler.
Coolant will heat up first but because oil is routed though the heat exchanger, it will be heated up by coolant too.
That's not actually the case. The GT350 has an air/oil cooler. The oil is cooled by air - not coolant.

Furthermore, there is a thermostat in the oil filter adapter that prevents oil from flowing through the oil cooler until it reaches a certain temperature. So oil bypasses the cooler until the oil is warm - to help with warm-up rate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
That's not actually the case. The GT350 has an air/oil cooler. The oil is cooled by air - not coolant.

Furthermore, there is a thermostat in the oil filter adapter that prevents oil from flowing through the oil cooler until it reaches a certain temperature. So oil bypasses the cooler until the oil is warm - to help with warm-up rate.
Well then the mystery continues (for me anyway). My oil temp is starting to rise by the time I'm barely out of the garage and before I leave the driveway. Very strange. :shrug:

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I've noticed since I got my GT350 how fast the oil temp rises after a cold start. I have a couple other cars with 8-quart oil pans and in particular, my Cobra replica probably takes 20 to 25 minutes of driving to appreciably warm up the oil. An old Plymouth I have with a 5 qt pan takes about as long. Both have mechanical temp sensors in the pan.

I timed my Mustang this morning on a cold (well 70 F ambient) start followed by a 40 to 45 mph access road warm up. It started warming up before I left the driveway and hit 158 F within 5 minutes.

How does Ford accomplish that - it's not normal? Only things I can figure is they have a pickup sensor in some sort of oil return channel or piping in the block or they warm the oil through the radiator or something. But it seems like the oil is heating up faster than the coolant. Or it's some sort of funky gage again like the idiot oil pressure gages that never move.
My experience is somewhat similar. I don’t find that it takes an inordinately long time to get up beyond 180. My oil is up to 175-180 in about 10 minutes driving to work in the mornings with ambient around 55 degrees. It actually reminds me a bit of my former 993, though that was a dry sump and prior to the thermostat opening the tank oil was not being warmed took about as long as the Shelby to reach operating temp.

It takes a long ride before i get to temp...like 20 minutes in 70 degrees
Definitely no where near 20 minutes for my car to get up to temp.
My car’ oil would be up to operating temp in about half that time.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
GT350 has a stand alone oil cooler as we all know from the cooler line replacement recall. ;)

Peter
Ether that or there is a coolant passage very close to the oil filter location.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
70 isnt cold at all. Try it on a 40 degree day it takes for ever to get to temp. I consider 180 up to temp btw.

LOL the entire premise of this post is wrong :) Not up to temp Not a cold day. etc etc
^This. I have about a 30 mile mostly freeway commute with some stop and go. It was 47 degrees this morning and my car never got over 178. And it took quite awhile to get there.

Sponsored

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I am not the tech guy but the aluminum block has something to do with it???

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
That one is a non-track pack, without oil coolers. It warms up better in winter.
All 2015/2016/2017 GT350's have engine oil coolers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In terms of aluminum vs cast iron, which is what I think you're getting at, aluminum always cools better, pound for pound, setup to setup.
Aluminum conducts heat better. Whether it's getting cooler or warmer it depends on the inputs and outputs.

I'm convinced that since the oil in the GT350 is sprayed on the bottoms of the pistons that is the key difference between the Voodoo and an older engine where the pistons get most of their oil from splash.

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
It takes my car about 15-20 minutes of driving before gets up to 190-200, which is exactly the same time it takes my E90 M3 to warm up (which also has high revving 8600 rpm engine). Of course if revved higher early on, will heat up faster, but I wouldn't be doing that with this engine (keep under 4k rpm until at 190-200)

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
I've also noticed my '17's oil temp gets up to temperature more quickly than past cars' (ambient temperature similar by comparison).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Another factor is probably the oil pump. The oil pressure is fairly high on cold startup. The work done by the pump adds heat to the oil as well.

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
On a cold day my car takes for ever. I think some members have blocked the oil cooler.
well just bring it on down to sunny FL. I'll keep the battery charged for ya.