Sponsored

How does Ford manage to get the oil temp up so quickly?

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I've noticed since I got my GT350 how fast the oil temp rises after a cold start. I have a couple other cars with 8-quart oil pans and in particular, my Cobra replica probably takes 20 to 25 minutes of driving to appreciably warm up the oil. An old Plymouth I have with a 5 qt pan takes about as long. Both have mechanical temp sensors in the pan.

I timed my Mustang this morning on a cold (well 70 F ambient) start followed by a 40 to 45 mph access road warm up. It started warming up before I left the driveway and hit 158 F within 5 minutes.

How does Ford accomplish that - it's not normal? Only things I can figure is they have a pickup sensor in some sort of oil return channel or piping in the block or they warm the oil through the radiator or something. But it seems like the oil is heating up faster than the coolant. Or it's some sort of funky gage again like the idiot oil pressure gages that never move.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As the tech pack guys know, the motor and powertrain generate a lot of heat. :ninja:

I find about the same driving in FL conditions, about 5 minutes give or take to warm up.

Why? Big motor, tight tollerances, more moving parts, etc......

I'm glad I don't have to drive around for 20 mins to get the temp up to 190

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It has an oil/coolant heat exchanger instead of an oil cooler.
Coolant will heat up first but because oil is routed though the heat exchanger, it will be heated up by coolant too.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My opinion is that the Voodoo engine sprays a lot of oil at the bottoms of the pistons and that is the main reason why the oil heats up quickly. It's a good design because it helps keep the maximum temperature of the pistons down, so they don't have to be quite as loose in the bores when the engine is cold. However, the combustion heat gets transferred into the oil more quickly.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I've noticed since I got my GT350 how fast the oil temp rises after a cold start. I have a couple other cars with 8-quart oil pans and in particular, my Cobra replica probably takes 20 to 25 minutes of driving to appreciably warm up the oil. An old Plymouth I have with a 5 qt pan takes about as long. Both have mechanical temp sensors in the pan.

I timed my Mustang this morning on a cold (well 70 F ambient) start followed by a 40 to 45 mph access road warm up. It started warming up before I left the driveway and hit 158 F within 5 minutes.

How does Ford accomplish that - it's not normal? Only things I can figure is they have a pickup sensor in some sort of oil return channel or piping in the block or they warm the oil through the radiator or something. But it seems like the oil is heating up faster than the coolant. Or it's some sort of funky gage again like the idiot oil pressure gages that never move.
70 isnt cold at all. Try it on a 40 degree day it takes for ever to get to temp. I consider 180 up to temp btw.

LOL the entire premise of this post is wrong :) Not up to temp Not a cold day. etc etc

Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Coolant will heat up first but because oil is routed though the heat exchanger, it will be heated up by coolant too.
GT350 has a stand alone oil cooler as we all know from the cooler line replacement recall. ;)

Peter

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That would help explain it. I somewhat suspected that but I haven't been underneath mine to trace out all the plumbing. I'll say this - it works effectively. My ERA Cobra has a 459 stroked FE with a lot of 427 parts and it takes a pretty long drive to get it up to temperature and I'm not running an oil cooler.

Thanks

OP
OP
SVTinAR

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
70 isnt cold at all. Try it on a 40 degree day it takes for ever to get to temp. I consider 180 up to temp btw.

LOL the entire premise of this post is wrong :) Not up to temp Not a cold day. etc etc
I know - it's all relative. Just trying to emphasize that the motor was cooled off. Mine does get up to about 190 F after a little while but I thought seeing what it could get to in 5 minutes was more interesting. :)

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

This is sooo funny, I was about to complain how slow the oil is warming up in these cars... I drove around for 10 min yesterday in slow traffic and barely got up to 180... :shrug: But we are in New England, not Arkansas :)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It takes a long ride before i get to temp...like 20 minutes in 70 degrees

Sponsored

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine takes a long time to reach temp if the outside temperature is cold (as expected). Last weekend the temperature in the early morning was 48 F and I drove it 35 minutes not going above 3K RPM and it only reached 175 degrees. I found it I push it to 4K on shifts it will reach 190 degrees faster... as it should.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
This is sooo funny, I was about to complain how slow the oil is warming up in these cars... I drove around for 10 min yesterday in slow traffic and barely got up to 180... :shrug: But we are in New England, not Arkansas :)
On a cold day my car takes for ever. I think some members have blocked the oil cooler.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
In 70 degree weather it takes about 20 minutes. In winter weather? FUGEDABOUDID!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
That one is a non-track pack, without oil coolers. It warms up better in winter.
Sponsored