Sponsored

How do you guys “winterize” your Pony?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
All of the comments regarding oil, battery and so on are good. When I stored my last British car for the winter in my mom’s garage (concrete floor), I also cut a piece of vapour barrier about a foot larger all around than the car. Depending on the weather, sometimes when I visited there would be all kinds of condensation on the bottom of the plastic, which otherwise would have been on the bottom of the car, causing rust.
Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
What is the "Winter" thing you folks talk about?

I live in Louisiana:cwl:
Dat when da gumbo get cold if you eating up on da porch and leaves it too long! Says 'bout Janny-rary.

*(my sig says Indy but I lived in Houston long time too, spent many times in LA, da food
très magnifique!)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
“BATTERY TENDER“
Question is mostly related to the newer cars with all the electronic crap we have. I realize there are several replies on other posts but wanted to ask here. - ground will go to chassis but are you connecting + positive directly to the battery or a fuse box block. Owners Manual isn’t specific on the positive side, only negative side
Instructions for my battery tender said same: connect the negative of the tender to a chassis ground and the positive to the battery or fuse box. The supporting diagram also referenced the Battery Management System (BMS).

It's best to remove the negative cable from the battery, before starting any of this. Dropping a tool at the wrong moment can short something out, causing damage to you or the car. When connecting back up, the car is going to make all kinds of weird noises, several times, as it performs self-checks. Perform a BMS reset when done.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

tender project 12.jpg

tender project 13.jpg

tender project 14.jpg

tender project 8.jpg

tender project 9.jpg

tender project 3.jpg

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I have so many reasons to dislike Southern California and miss the Midwest. This isn't one of them.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The main things I do are the C-Tek and fresh cab.

In the past I have driven Mustangs year round and it's very satisfying.

GT350snsp4.JPG

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I think I need to start looking up battery tenders. Mine is going to be stored this yea.

I saw ford performance. Any other recommendations?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I do not do anything special for the winter. I don't drive a lot (2500 miles a year) and most of that is in the warm months. I drive it in the winter when the roads are clean and dry. We haven't had a lot of snow in at least 4 or 5 years. I have a monster 3 stage Troy Built snow thrower with tracks, that's supposed to handle 18" of snow. I have not had a good reason to use it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just drive it once in a while. I can always find a 40F day here and there to take it to work. I obviously don't drive it if it's going to snow or it snowed recently, because there's tons of standing water and salt around, or they probably just sprayed the road with that nasty mixture. When it's dry out nothing really gets on the car. My undercarriage still looks like it did the day I bought it.

I do have to take off my nice summer wheels and tires soon though :(

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
I just Put it in the garage and start it once a week and let it run till I hit running temp. Do a few revs. Then the cycle starts over next work or so.

Sponsored

Järn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Ruby Red, A10, B&O, AE
Do not drive it, call the insurance company and change the coverage to "Storage". I save almost $300 for a 4-month period.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I just Put it in the garage and start it once a week and let it run till I hit running temp. Do a few revs. Then the cycle starts over next work or so.
You're doing more harm than good. Oil will never get to temperature idling, you're just introducing more cold start wear and not cooking off any moisture.

Don't start it unless you're going to drive it.

NavyNut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jean-yves
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I wash the car, fill the tank to max with non ethanol fuel, put stabil in the tank and I start it every month for 15mins. It stays in my garage which is never bellow freezing point. I should put a battery tender on it.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
I wash the car, fill the tank to max with non ethanol fuel, put stabil in the tank and I start it every month for 15mins. It stays in my garage which is never bellow freezing point. I should put a battery tender on it.
You should add a tender, however starting it every month isnt recommended. The oil should be changed prior to storage. Running the vehicle creates the environment for moisture to accumulate.
The oil can be changed after storage however storing with 'dirty' oil can also lead to possible condensation or other contaminants in the system during the storage time frame.
Sponsored