How do you guys “winterize” your Pony?

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have a new Mach 1 and I want to have a plan for winterizing my car. I live in New England so realistically I will be garaging her for 5 months out of each year. Should I keep the fuel level high, low, use a stabilizer, battery charger, start her up weekly, monthly, not at all…? I know a quick search can probably answer these questions, but I’m curious what you all do. Thanks.
Sponsored

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Fill the interior with mothballs. Stuff rags in the exhaust. Put car on jack stands to take the stress off the gonkulator bearings. Change blinker fluid to 0W-20 Fill the cylinders with motor oil.

Enjoy the winter

You are welcome

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Stabil in a full gas tank (room in the tank = chance for condensation)

Battery tender

If you're parking on unsealed concrete it can be a good idea to put 4 flat boards under the tires, some companies also make cupped rubber pads to park on which prevent flat spotting. You can also over inflate the tire to help it keep shape

Don't start the car up, once you winterize it, leave it alone until you're ready to drive it. Starting it randomly just gives more chance to bring condensation into fluids.

If you're worried about mice you can do moth balls or dryer sheets (apparently mice hate these). If you want to jack the car up in the air, put the jackstands on the control arms so the suspension stays at ride height and you're not twisting the rubber bushings.

If you have very used oil in the car, change it before long term storage.

Since I park my car in a climate controlled garage, this is what I do for all my cars

Wash
battery tender
stabil
cover up

Brian82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I usually put mine away right after Halloween here in Buffalo NY. I fill the tank and add a little sta-bil. I inflate the tires to 50psi so minimize flat spoting. Wash and clean the interior and exterior. I put drier sheets around the car, in the engine bay,exhuast pipes and inside the car. Its supposed to keep mice out but i have no idea if it works. So far so good. And lastly I throw a car cover on. Some guys change the oil before storage some after. I would change mine a little before if possible. Full synthetic dosent break down as bad as the older oil but if you have 5-7000 miles on it I would change it. I never start mine until I take it out but if you do start it run it until it reaches operating temp. Oh and use a trickle charger/battery tender or take the battery out.

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I fill the tank, add stabilizer, place on wheel cribs, attach battery tender, and cover it. I only start it if I’m taking it out for a drive and getting it fully up to temp. As soon as I’m ready to take it out of hibernation the oil is changed.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I too live in the Northeast and have had a "summer" car stored for the winter months since the mid '90s. All the above suggestion are good, but I reduced it down to two things that are absolutely critical. Keep it on a battery tender and most importantly do everything you can to protect yourself from mice.

This is not meant to dismiss the other suggestions, but mice are your biggest enemy and will do more damage than anything else that might happen to your car by sitting unused for a few months. It doesn't matter where you live, they will invade you car and make themselves a nice cozy winter home.

Some important things to do:
  • Clean your garage. Mice hate open space and love clutter.
  • Remove ANYTHING the mice might like to eat. We used to store bulk bags of dog food in our garage, the mice loved it! Last year, my wife left a bag of grass seed in the garage (that I didn't notice), the mice loved that too!
  • Get peppermint spray and spray all around the inside of your garage, mice hate the smell
  • Stuff scented drier sheets into your trunk, under your hood even under the seats or dash, mice hate the smell of those too.
  • Stuff steel wool into the exhaust (mice will chew through rags). They will make a nest in your exhaust pipe/muffler (ask me how I know!)
  • Seal as best you can any openings around your garage doors. Mice will still find way in no matter what you do, but you can make it harder for them.
  • Invest in mouse traps because no matter how hard you try, they will find a way in.
Also, inspect your car from time to time. Look in the trunk, under the hood, under the seats, etc. If you see any sign of mice (usually droppings) immediately tear everything apart until you find the nest (or nests).

I live in a rural area, but I have friends and family members who live in suburban areas and even urban areas that have fought mighty battles with mice getting into their cars. They will chew wires, ruin insulation, and leave a smell that is all but impossible to eradicate.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
M’y garage is warm in winter no humidity I remove the negative and put the cover et voilà I keep the reservoire 1/4 because the gaz Life is aroud 5-6 month ,I do the same thing for 30 years !no humidity no problème!!!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I just put snow tires on and continue the party.
Yeah. Take all that money for steel wool and other stuff and just drive it. I've tried everything mentioned to keep mice out of my motorcycle during the winter and none of it works. Steel wool, peppermint, moth balls, etc... Doesn't help. Every time you try to close off one option, mice will find another.

Get snow tires. Drive it at least once a week.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I have a new Mach 1 and I want to have a plan for winterizing my car. I live in New England so realistically I will be garaging her for 5 months out of each year. Should I keep the fuel level high, low, use a stabilizer, battery charger, start her up weekly, monthly, not at all…? I know a quick search can probably answer these questions, but I’m curious what you all do. Thanks.

Wrap it in a baby diaper and park it in attic

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
IMG_7731.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpg

Tires make all the difference...