Sponsored

How do you guys “winterize” your Pony?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
....park it in the downstairs where it is climate controlled.
It will NOT move until fair weather and salt/sand free roads prevail............:clap:
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I drive mine around on A/S 3's

20211212_103918.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I have a new Mach 1 and I want to have a plan for winterizing my car. I live in New England so realistically I will be garaging her for 5 months out of each year. Should I keep the fuel level high, low, use a stabilizer, battery charger, start her up weekly, monthly, not at all…? I know a quick search can probably answer these questions, but I’m curious what you all do. Thanks.
My car is on Quick jacks from November to April 1st, tires removed and stored in garage. I fill the gas tank with 93, Use a Charger/maintainer on battery, I keep the car locked except for when I start the engine for 15 minutes every 30 days. I keep it covered, I use Full Synthetic Amsoil for engine. Good Luck

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
When I was younger and my Mustang was my only car, I drove it year round too. Now that I have a daily driver, I like to avoid the salt, the crud, the mud tracked into the car, and the people who don't know how to drive in snow, etc and just leave my Mustang in the garage. I also take the car off insurance for the winter and save a few bucks too!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tips-and-advice/advice-auto/tire-damage/tire-flat-spotting

Studying the topic this morning. Michelin specifically mentions staying away from long-term sitting in a high-temperature environment. From the article and posts here, it would seem a modern tire does not need such ramps for cold storage. Retro/bias ply could be different.
Above, some info from a previous post on the topic of flat spotting.

This will also be my first Winterization of a car.

1. STA-BIL. Check. I like how the instructions remind to run the car 5+ minutes after adding, to ensure it makes it through the entire system.

2. Battery tender. Check. Several good threads here on installs and brands. I'm using Ford Performance's battery tender and am happy with it thus far. Have an external lead, so I can hook it up and watch it with the hood closed.

3. Mice. Haven't witnessed any in my area. But agree. Do anything possible to keep them out of the garage area. Absolutely zero food or anything to invite them. Make regular checks throughout the garage for any signs.

4. Oil change before or after? Probably in the Spring, 1st drive. I dunno, still on the fence.

5. I won't be starting it up. Once I turn it off, it will be off. Running the engine without moving the car concerns me, especially with respect to heat distribution within the engine.

6. Clean one last time. Check. Car cover. Probably.

7. Tires. WTH, probably add a few pounds of air, but not over do it. I won't be using cradles.

8. Sigh as I realize I can't drive her for several months. Not looking forward to the moment, but preparing none-the-less.

Last edited:

Enduro Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT PP (RIP)
Krown underbody spray. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s (255/40R19 front, 275/40R19 rear). Snow shovel, ice scraper/brush, isopropyl alcohol in the trunk. Decent grip, but the ground clearance is the bigger worry!
zxIMG_6978_cr.jpg

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
When I was younger and my Mustang was my only car, I drove it year round too. Now that I have a daily driver, I like to avoid the salt, the crud, the mud tracked into the car, and the people who don't know how to drive in snow, etc and just leave my Mustang in the garage. I also take the car off insurance for the winter and save a few bucks too!
Same here, except my car has never seen so much as a drop of rain. I know, kinda sad But: I bought it strictly as a toy nothing else

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Same here, except my car has never seen so much as a drop of rain. I know, kinda sad But: I bought it strictly as a toy nothing else
I avoid rain too, but mother nature has surprised my more than once :)

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen a lot of comments of putting a car cover on it but to add to that I never just put a car cover on I had an enclosed car cover that you drive onto and zip around the car when I was in Illinois. That will also help with the mice although I know that they can chew so you still put mothballs in there as well as some packets that take away the moisture.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don`t really store mine in the winter, but I also do not drive it ever day either. If the roads are clear I drive it on a all season tire.

But speaking on behalf of a friend who stores his mustang away and other exotic cars in his garage. He normally just keeps them clean and puts a battery tender on. Sometimes he might take them out once every few months to keep everything lubricated.

OP
OP
mldonovan82

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thank you for all the replies. I have yet to see one mouse at my house is 12 years. Should I assume that I’m just lucky or is that foolish? No turds either. 💩
Sponsored